E36 for LS1 conversion search.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E36 for LS1 conversion search.

I am pretty excited about the conversion kit being engineered by Vorshlag. But I wanted to post to gather more info on car selection for the conversion. I have been following european car's E36 325is project and would like to build something similar. A more focused driver's car that could have fun at the autocross and occasional multistate trip.

Ideally I would purchase the car and drive it with doing little but basic maintance to stock drivetrain and replace the worn suspension and brakes with the M3 units while I source/prepare the LSx and T56 for install.

What I need is info on the E36 chassis, specifically if I could get a 6cyl without a sunroof, leather, auto HVAC and other heavy items. The "M-technic" 325is appear to be the ideal canidate but with only 150 imported it might be a bit too much for some purists.

BTW, what is included in the Sport Package for the 325is? Were these avail in the 4 door?
    02 Golf TDI 306,000 miles

Re: E36 for LS1 conversion search.

I am still debating on sedan vs. coupe (not a convert). My daily driver is my Golf 4 door, so I am torn between vanity (coupe) and function (a 4 door that is larger than my Golf which would allow me to buy a smaller daily driver in the future).

I enjoyed the comments in my E36 Sunroof thread . A "stripped down rattle bin" isnt an option, but replacing the front seats with cloth, manual, adjustable sport seats and recovering the (leather) rears to match should be a step in the right direction. I have always loved corduroy interiors ('78 Volvo 242 GT for example) and I would love to do it here if possible (dont worry, it would be narrow whale...after all it is a BMW! )

I am going to use this thread to list products/tech info as I find it. As a longtime subscriber to europeancar mag I have been following their 325is project.

Here's the run down so far:

Find a 92 to 95:
    -No Auto HVAC
    -Not already modified
    -Cruise Control

Planned mods:
    -96+ M3 subframes, suspension, brakes
    -M3 wiring harness to match Vorshlag's kit
    -Euro M3 front rotors
    -Staggered forged M3 wheels or newer 3er 17's (I like O.E. plus)
    -M3 front end for cooling
    -No fog lights for possible ducting if needed (plugged with factory inserts otherwise)
    -Custom headlamps using aftermarket Hella BiXenons
    -Spring/strut/shock upgrade - performance not looks.
    -M3 Lightweight/Convert X brace
    -LED CHMSL (center high mounted stop lamp) I like this one If I get a coupe I could install the convertable trunk lid with the integrated LED CHMSL...but that sounds pretty expensive.
    -Possible removal of extra insulation to get down to M3 lightweight levels.
    Last edited by HIDGolf; 02-02-2007, 05:05 PM.

Comment

The Vorshlagers posted a little bit about this here.

I'm sure Fair, when he reads this, will elaborate based on what they have discovered starting to work on both the two 318s (one auto, one manual) as well as their 325 XP car.

Basically I think the gist is still to buy the cheapest, cleanest, straightest 318/325 you can find.
      McCall

Comment

Yes, the 3.91 LSD is what we went with. Matteucci calculated the gearing choice based on:

Rear tire diameter (285/35/1
        to reach 70 mph in 2nd gear
        +using the 2nd gear ratio for the T56 and
        +7000 rpm limit
        Choosing from the various BMW E36 rear gear set-ups
        With a .75:1 5th gear and a .50:1 6th gear, highway cruising will still be perfect with that final gearing. Gotta love the T56 and it's two overdrives. Should still get 30 mpg!
        http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4216

Comment

Alpina B8. E36 with 4.6liter V8. 95-98.

Comment

check out her rearend! Alpina B8 4.6

Comment

I like how Alpina keeps the stock bumper and adds their chin extension. A bit more subtle than the M3 front end. The early E36 had the more open front bumper, which I believe has "wheel well ducts" that run from inboard of the fog lights to the front wheel wells. Can anyone confirm this? Im just looking for different options to save cost/paintwork. I dont need fog lamps, so I could add brake ducts there and run flexible duct hose to the front rotors.

Besides the brake ducts and larger grille opening, are there any other advantages for the M3 front bumper? I know the coupes had the extra lower black mini splitter deal. The Alpina chin extension has measured benefits, but I dont know enough german to understand what exactly improves, or how that relates to the M3 bumper.
              Last edited by HIDGolf; 02-06-2007, 08:47 PM.

Comment

I think I might understand enough german to tell ya ...

Comment

Originally posted by HIDGolf
                  I like how Alpina keeps the stock bumper and adds their chin extension. A bit more subtle than the M3 front end. The early E36 had the more open front bumper, which I believe has "wheel well ducts" that run from inboard of the fog lights to the front wheel wells. Can anyone confirm this? Im just looking for different options to save cost/paintwork. I dont need fog lamps, so I could add brake ducts there and run flexible duct hose to the front rotors.

Besides the brake ducts and larger grille opening, are there any other advantages for the M3 front bumper? I know the coupes had the extra lower black mini splitter deal. The Alpina chin extension has measured benefits, but I dont know enough german to understand what exactly improves, or how that relates to the M3 bumper.
                  Its mostly visual fluff until you are in a wind tunnel measuring small differences in drag, "downforce", etc. Not enough to matter in any competitive motorsport. Once you start to "need" significant downforce in a race car you are way beyond factory M3 front bumpers and itsy bitsy chin spoilers... you're more like this:

Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
                  2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
                  EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Originally posted by the german kid
                    I think I might understand enough german to tell ya ...
                    http://www.alpina-automobiles.com/pdf/www-teile_e36.pdf

page 7 if you would please.

Comment

Originally posted by HIDGolf
                      Go Flo go!

ALPINA
                      AERODYNAMIC
                      ALPINA Spoiler geben Ihrem BMW
                      ein unverkennbares, markantes Erscheinungsbild. Der ALPINA Front-spoiler verbessert den Luftwider-standsbeiwert Ihres BMW um 3,1% und vermindert gleichzeitig den Auftrieb an der Vorderachse um 48%.
                      Daraus resultiert eine um bis zu 2%
                      höhere Endgeschwindigkeit. Die Fahr-stabilität wird bei hohen Geschwindig-
                      keiten verbessert. Der ALPINA Heckflügel verfügt wahlweise über eine
                      harmonisch integrierte Bremsleuchte zur Erhöhung Ihrer Sicherheit. In Ver-
                      bindung mit dem ALPINA Frontspoiler wird der Luftwiderstandsbeiwert um 4,7% verbessert, der Auftrieb an der Hinterachse um 10% verringert und dadurch die Seitenwind-empfindlichkeit gesenkt. Durch die verbesserte Übersichtlichkeit wird das Rückwärtseinparken erleichtert. (Die genannten Werte wurden an einem BMW 325i im BMW Windkanal ermittelt)
                      Der Heckflügel ist nur in Verbindung mit ALPINA- bzw. BMW-Frontspoiler zulässig.
                      McCall

Comment

Best I can do:
                        "ALPS AERODYNAMIC ALPS Spoiler gives your BMW an unmistakable, marked image. The ALPS front-spoiler improves the Luftwider-standsbeiwert of your BMW around 3.1% and diminishes simultaneously the buoyancy at the front axle around 48%. From that results one around Endgeschwindigkeit higher up to 2%. The go-stability is improved in high Geschwindig-keiten. The ALPS stern wing ordered selectively over a harmonious integrated brake lamp to the increase of your security. In connection tie with the ALPS
                        Frontspoiler the Luftwiderstandsbeiwert is improved around 4.7%, that buoyancy diminishes at the rear axle around 10% and sunk through it the side wind-sensitivity. Through the improved clarity, the Rückwärtseinparken is eased. (The named values became at a BMW 325i in the BMW wind canal determined) the stern wing is allowable only in connection with ALPS-Frontspoiler-and/or-BMW-Frontspoiler. "
                        '05 STi
                        Obfuscation usually requires a lot more words than if you simply focus on fundamental principles, so I’m not at all surprised by the loquaciousness of liberals.

Comment

My German is rusty but I'll give it a shot:
                          "ALPINA AERO-DYNAMIC ALPINA spoilers give an unmistakable, salient appearance to your BMW. The ALPINA front spoiler improves the air resistance factor of your BMW around 3.1% and decreases at the same time the lift at the front axle by 48%. From this one results over up to 2% higher terminal velocity. Driving stability is improved at high speeds. The ALPINA tail wing had alternatively a harmoniously integrated brake light for the increase of your security. Make your time. In connection with the ALPINA front spoiler is improved the air resistance factor around 4.7%, the lift at the rear axle around 10% is reduced and thus cross-wind sensitivity is lowered. The ass-backwards parking is facilitated by the improved clarity. (the values mentioned were determined at a BMW 325i in the BMW wind tunnel) the tail wing is permissible only in connection with ALPINA and/or BMW front spoilers."
                          Last edited by duck; 02-07-2007, 06:24 PM.
                          "When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin
                          http://www.duckfest.net

Comment

Allrigt what Duck and Oversteer said is absolutly correct , just wanna add some words for better understanding.

Luftwiderstandsbeiwert = drag

Höchstgeschwindigkeit = Topspeed

Geschwindgikeit = Speed

Rückwärtseinparken = parking backwards.

But overall and A minus for Duck and Oversteer.

Comment

babelfish rocks. ;-p
                              "When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin
                              http://www.duckfest.net

Comment

Working...
                              X