X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March 2010 FasTrack

http://www.scca.com/documents/Fastra...march-solo.pdf

STREET TOURING
    - The STAC has provided the following rule change proposal, which is published here for member comment: Replace 14.2.F in its entirety with the following:

SCCA FasTrack News March 2010 Page 18

“F. Wings may be added, removed, or modified. Non-OE wings may only be attached to the rear deck/hatch area behind the centerline of the rear axle. The total combined surface area of all wings shall not exceed 5 square feet as calculated per Section 12.9. The number of wing elements is limited to 2.

Wings, and any component thereof, may not extend beyond the vehicle width, as defined by the outermost portion of the vehicle doors, less mirrors, door handles, rub strips, and trim. In addition, no portion of the wing or its components may extend beyond the rear most portion of the bodywork, above the roofline of the vehicle, or more than 6” forward of the rear axle, regardless of body style. For convertibles and roadsters, the highest portion of the windshield frame will be considered the highest portion of the roof.
    Reinforcements to the wing mounting area may be used, but may serve no other purpose. Body panels to which a wing mounts must remain fully functional (e.g. trunk lids and rear hatches must open fully). Wing endplate surface area is limited to 110 square inches each ,and the total number of endplates is limited to a maximum of two. Substitution or removal of rear wings must retain any original third brake light functionality unless otherwise equipped (e.g back deck).”

Comment: This removes the original allowance for aftermarket body kits, spoilers and other appearance items, whose original purpose (i.e. attract Sport Compact enthusiasts) is no longer relevant, and which a number of competitors were using for performance advantage. Its replacement maintains the status quo on usage of aftermarket wings, while placing
    restrictions on further escalation. In addition, per member input, complete removal of OE wings would now be legal in many cases.

- The SEB and STAC will be continuing to review possible changes in allowances concerning exhaust, firmware, and emissions compliance requirements.

- The SEB has directed the STAC to review the tire treadwear rating minimum value requirement.
    That's a much needed revision to ST wing rules. The old rules were dated, and the original basis for them no longer applied. Now you can remove the big gaudy OEM wing or spoiler, and you can choose to put whatever back on that fits the ST rule wording. I just wish the SPAC would adopt these rules!

If you like this and you are an SCCA member, please write the SEB and let them know you AGREE with the proposed 14.2.F rewording. Just cut and paste this email text below and send it to seb@scca.com

SEB members:

I am writing in to voice my agreement with the proposed wording of 14.2.F wing rule for Street Touring, from the March 2010 FasTrack.

Thank you,
    ____ (your name)
    SCCA member # ______
    Also, congrats to Brian Hanchey for joining the STAC (Street Touring Advisory Committee). I suppose this means he needs to start autocrossing again...

Good to know we have one of our own on the STAC. Maybe he can champion the cause for moving the E36 M3 to STX??
    Last edited by Fair!; 02-23-2010, 05:27 PM.
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Re: March 2010 FasTrack

Originally posted by Fair! View Post
    http://www.scca.com/documents/Fastra...march-solo.pdf

That's a much needed revision to ST wing rules. The old rules were dated, and the original basis for them no longer applied. Now you can remove the big gaudy OEM wing or spoiler, and you can choose to put whatever back on that fits the ST rule wording. I just wish the SPAC would adopt these rules!

If you like this and you are an SCCA member, please write the SEB and let them know you AGREE with the proposed 14.2.F rewording. Just cut and paste this email text below and send it to seb@scca.com

Also, congrats to Brian Hanchey for joining the STAC (Street Touring Advisory Committee). I suppose this means he needs to start autocrossing again...

Good to know we have one of our own on the STAC. Maybe he can champion the cause for moving the E36 M3 to STX??
    Done!
    McCall

Comment

You might be interested to know that those emails actually do come to the STAC now. The SEB rep puts them in a forum thread so we see all of those. I think the system works pretty well. The committee seems to make some level headed decisions so far in my whole one 3 hour meeting's worth of experience.

Comment

Originally posted by hanchey-vorshlag View Post
        You might be interested to know that those emails actually do come to the STAC now. The SEB rep puts them in a forum thread so we see all of those. I think the system works pretty well. The committee seems to make some level headed decisions so far in my whole one 3 hour meeting's worth of experience.
        That sounds far too advanced for the SCCA - it wasn't ~5 years ago that they didn't even accept emails, and you had to smail mail in your letters!

Oh, what about my email pictures - you know I can't send an email without about a dozen of those.

I just sent a big email to the SEB/SPAC calling them all retards for prohibiting wings in SP. "You clowns should adopt the 14.2.F rule from ST!" That should go over well? (just kidding! but it was pretty long)

pic from my email to the SPAC about

Seriously, the wing rule is the last ST legal allowance that ISN'T allowed in SP... the SPAC has adopted all of the other ST legal mods to date except 14.2.F. And you can run an otherwise ST legal car in SP with R compounds, which means there could be winged warriors in SP if you went that route (but its still too restrictive to only run ST legal mods in SP - no powah!). SP should adopt ST's 14.2.F or SMOD's 16.1.L-M

Comment

I think it should be split.

ST and STS should only get stock rear spoliers/wings and a wing delete clause, plus a front spoiler/splitter allowance.

STX and STU should get limited wings/spoilers and real front splitters/airdams/spoilers.

Comment

Originally posted by modernbeat View Post
            I think it should be split.

ST and STS should only get stock rear spoliers/wings and a wing delete clause, plus a front spoiler/splitter allowance.

STX and STU should get limited wings/spoilers and real front splitters/airdams/spoilers.
            I've heard this from Honda/Miata guys... why is that? Cost?

These guys should check out eBay. I looked yesterday when I sent in my letter about the lack of wings in SP, and found numerous 61" wide dual-plane adjustable aluminum wings with end plates for sale for $99 or less. And similar width "carbon fiber" wings for $249 or less. Cost isn't that big anymore for a big wing.

This "name-brand" (APR) aluminum dual-plane wing was only $249, new...

Comment

Originally posted by Fair! View Post
              I've heard this from Honda/Miata guys... why is that? Cost?
              Buying the wing is the cheapest part of it. Figuring out the car after bolting it on is the expensive part. For the most part, the Miata and Honda setups are almost recipes now. Newcomers don't have to do the testing that was done five years ago. Add in real aero, and it's a whole other aspect.

Plus, those cars are already though of as "rice". There's no need to encourage that.

Comment

Originally posted by modernbeat View Post
                Buying the wing is the cheapest part of it. Figuring out the car after bolting it on is the expensive part. For the most part, the Miata and Honda setups are almost recipes now. Newcomers don't have to do the testing that was done five years ago. Add in real aero, and it's a whole other aspect.

Plus, those cars are already though of as "rice". There's no need to encourage that.
                Honesty, and no offense, but there is no REAL argument what so ever with your "reasons" given. If you were to apply your figuring-it-out issue, then we should eliminate all suspension modifications cause you might have to try different springs, shock rates, sway bars, etc to figure out which set-up works best.

As far as "rice", that's just a personal jugmental call and should have nothing to do with solo competition (or any motorsport event really).
                McCall

Comment

Working...
                X