Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires. Tire Mounting. Tire Hookups.

Mkay. I'm here in DFW.

Why doesn't VOMO have a TIRERACK WHOLESALE account so we can all buy tires at killer prices? With shipping coming from Louisiana, it aint that bad. They will allow you to pay with a credit card.

Next up, TIRE MACHINE. I've been price checking around and it is recockulous what folks charge for mt/bal up here. In c/s and then s/a I had the hookups...here...not so much. Heck, I've got keys to shops with machines and given classes on mounting...

Terry, there seems to be some opportunity up here....or do ya'll all have a killer hookup guy for tires...if so, please fill me in.

Costas

Re: Tires. Tire Mounting. Tire Hookups.

If you are near 75 and Campbell I have been using a little independent named TnT Tire & Lube. They are on the northeast corner. The last time was $50 to mount and balance 4 tires. They did the inspection on my motor home with no hassle and so far they been real careful with my wheels. Initially they said like $60 for the mounting but they will bargain if you ask.

Comment

Surprisingly, we waste hundreds of dollars a month at Discount on tire mounting and balancing - and we have a "wholesale" account. I used to have a guy at one of the stores that would do a set of loose wheels for $20 cash, but he's long gone. I pay more like $90/set now, which is highway robbery...

I've thought seriously about buying a mounting and balancing setup. I can get the imported stuff for about two grand. I know I've spent that much the last year on tire mounting, not to mention the time spent going back and forth and waiting at Discount. I mounted tires in high school, so the work isn't foreign, but its the lack of room more than anything preventing me from getting the machines. The shop here is very modestly sized, and with all of our racks of inventory, workbenches for building parts, fab equipment, and 2 post lift, we've only got enough room to store 3 cars inside. With the mounting and balancing equipment I would lose one full bay...

As for buying tires, all we get is matched Tire Rack retail pricing thru local Discount Tire stores. Basically... not any better than any schmuck could get thast brought in a car magazine with a TR ad. And we buy many thousands of dollars in tires a year - truck, trailer, street tires, & race tires. There is one Discount store in Frisco that gives better M/B prices to SCCA members, and the manager there has been great to our Region, but its a good 40+ miles round trip to get over there. Kind of a whippin to schlep over there twice for each tire mounting... drop off the stuff, come back the next day.

The Yokohama rep introduced us to a local tire wholeseller that has something like 3 Million tires in a warehouse in DFW, and he said he'd give us good pricing, but they are located on the other side of town... like 45 miles away.

I know we could get a TR Wholesale account... we bought some wheels and tires off of another one of our dealer's TR account a few times, and they keep sending me their wholesale catalogs. Soon I'll be pouring hundreds (err... more like thousands?) of dollars into Hoosiers' coffers regularly, so I will probably just setup that TR account soon.
      Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
      2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
      EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Question.... who here in DFW would be interested in owning part of shared tire mounting & balancing machines?

I've been eying a tire mounter & balancer for years and have read up on the latest and greatest tech (mostly in this c-c.com thread) and would love to buy this setup from GregSmithEquipment.com:

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Pr...=WB42-ATTC589X

I could store, power and supply air to the machines here at my place and give access to people that pitch in on buying it, but you'd have to change your own tires. At least you could do them on your own schedule and with your own hands, and not be at the mercy of the underpaid tire monkeys and their store's schedule. It worked for a bunch of us when Todd had the machines back in College Station...

A good mounter/balancer setup can cost as little as $2000-2400 + S&H. The Atlas WB42 & Atlas TC589X combo is Asian made, but it has a lot of the same features of the Hunter/Snap-on/crack money machines that cost 2-4X as much. Figure if we get 5-10 people interested it would get real cheap... I'd probably pitch in a lot more than anyone else, but still only use it 1-2 times a month. I'm not thrilled about losing a full bay in the shop, but I'm just so damned tired of throwing hundreds of dollars at Discount Tire every month, and having to wait hours and hours to get loose wheels mounted...

Thoughts?
        Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
        2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
        EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

*raises hand*

Just please make sure it can handle big tires...the new goodyear jumbos are 28.5" tall and 14.5" wide on a 16x13 rim.

I've been thinking on getting a manual machine and bubble balancer myself, but if ya'll are looking at this, I'd love to know more.

Costas
          cars and such...

Comment

I'll bring wheels from Houston, Denver, Moscow wherever I'm living
            Adam
            It's not so much the heat as it is the humidity

Comment

Count me in.
              McCall

Comment