X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan '11 Fast Track - Street Mod Cross Engine Swap

STREET MODIFIED
    <DIR>
    - Per the SMAC, the following rule change proposal is being submitted for member comment:
    <DIR>- Replace 16.1.D.1 with the following:
    <DIR>"1. Engine blocks must be from production automobiles. Engines must meet minimum production quantities of 1,000 units built for street use, spanning all models of cars so equipped. Motorcycle, snowmobile, marine, or other engines of non-automobile design are not permitted. This allows engine blocks manufactured as production units for sale in other countries such as Japan or Germany."
    </DIR></DIR>
    The intent of this proposal is to allow cross-make engine swaps into Street Modified vehicles, using engines produced in sufficient quantities that replacement parts are readily available. Subframe restrictions are not expanded from the existing rules. (ref. #3313)
    </DIR>
    - In addition to those items reflected elsewhere herein, the following member items regarding Street Modified category matters have been reviewed by the SMAC and SEB: #1702, 3048. The SEB and SMAC thank these members for their input.

I like the idea A LOT but I wonder what this will do for XP? Of course I'd also like to see SM open up front subframes and allow complete replacements so long as the subframe is able to be bolted in (no unibody cutting). Discuss!
    McCall

Re: Jan '11 Fast Track - Street Mod Cross Engine Swap

Ls1 bmw ftw!
    Brian Hanchey
    AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Before I sent my "you suck donkey balls" email to the STAC/SEB about the last minute 14.2.F ST aero fiasco rule change from this same FasTrack (I am still fuming about this!), I sent in my "YES, nice job!" email to the SMAC/SEB, praising them for attempting to fix this 14 year old flaw in the SMod rules. All it needs now is member support.

Teucci, Ramey and I, plus many others, fought with Dennis Grant over this very rule back when this category was being created, on the old SM Yahoo mailing list. We never could get a good reason for this, and this very plainly worded rule was almost identical to what we proposed 14 years ago.

This was the REASON we needed an XP in the first place - because they left out cross make engine swaps in SMod. If this rule had been in place from the beginning, like it should have, I would have been racing in SMod this whole damn time.

In conclusion I'd like to say - Eat a big bag of crap, Dennis Grant. YOU WERE WRONG.

All SCCA members should send in those letters of support >>> www.sebscca.com
      Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
      2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
      EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Originally posted by Fair! View Post
        This was the REASON we needed an XP in the first place - because they left out cross make engine swaps in SMod. If this rule had been in place from the beginning, like it should have, I would have been racing in SMod this whole damn time.
        And now I am staring at the pile of climate control parts and interior pieces in the attic and wondering if I should just put that stuff back into the Roadster and run SM2?
        McCall

Comment

Originally posted by McCall View Post
          And now I am staring at the pile of climate control parts and interior pieces in the attic and wondering if I should just put that stuff back into the Roadster and run SM2?
          I think that car might just be too far gone... not your fault, the previous owners really went to town. The rear diff supports could be a problem.

Comment

... run SM2?
            It runs?

Comment

Originally posted by John in Houston View Post
              It runs?

Smart 4ss. Oh yea, go ahead and send me your address so I can get it shipped up there, knowing you, COD of course.
              McCall

Comment

OK, been pondering this some at lunch. If we look at the car and the rulebook hard enough maybe we can figure out a way to squeeze it into the new "Cross make engine swap" Street Mod 2 class.

We've GOT TO ALL SEND OUR LETTERS, seriously. DO IT NOW.... www.sebscca.com. It takes 2 minutes to do!

Paul and I talked about this at lunch - the reinforced diff mounts on your Z3 might actually be SM2 legal, and if it is, then the GRM E30 is SMod legal as it sits, too! Funk XP and their stupid light Lotus Elise boost buggies!!!!

As it is a couple of (essentially) tweaked BSP cars have won SMod the last 2 years. SM2 is another story entirely, however...

Comment

Wow...
                  The E30 and Jason's M both in SMod?

w00t!!!

Costas
                  cars and such...

Comment

I don't like it, personally.

And I'm not racing SM next year, no dog in this fight. Just think it's too open and likely to create a bunch of sub-min-weight, rotary powered cars. That's definitely what I would build.
                    Chris
                    97 M3/4 - STU
                    06 Evo - SM
                    00 S2000 - STR

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                      I don't like it, personally.

And I'm not racing SM next year, no dog in this fight. Just think it's too open and likely to create a bunch of sub-min-weight, rotary powered cars. That's definitely what I would build.
                      I see your point but me thinks that minor issue could easily be solved with slightly tweaked minimum weights, especially concerning rotarys and FI cars.

Also, for 10 years now I have been hearing internet lore about people hypothetically showing up in these crazy small lightweight cars but nothing has ever come of those threats. I really think it comes down to the fact that if anyone ever got the balls to build and bring a car like that, they know it would be a one year wonder and be re-classed or ruled-changed out of competitiveness. I think that fact alone keeps anyone from stepping up and doing it.
                      <o></o>
                      McCall

Comment

I'm also not sure I like the idea, SM has barely reached a point of competitive stability and we're going to force everyone to find new motors for their cars? Yikes.

The "killer SM car" is still an RX-8 IMO, but nobody's put the money into one yet.

Comment

Also, for 10 years now I have been hearing internet lore about people hypothetically showing up in these crazy small lightweight cars but nothing has ever come of those threats.
                          The unofficial 'Ramey Shit Box' threat. If he had the time, I'm sure it would happen

Comment

Look, cross make engine swaps just gives racers more FREEDOM when building their cars. Its not like the 2010 SM winning EVO is going to swap in a Subaru motor (that is Chris, who replied above, BTW). The 2009 SM winner Simanyi isn't going to put a 13B in his BMW, either. But some makes are really screwed when it comes to available/legal engines they can swap in for SM. And look at XP - it has been a lot more diverse, and it has grown steadily each year, with this FREEDOM.

You aren't AGAINST FREEDOM, are you? Don't be a terrorist loving commie! Vote for freedom!

A lot of the fear from cross make engine swaps, which was discussed at length many years ago (before SM was even created), seems to surround the "dreaded rotary swap". And I agree - nobody likes the sound of rotaries! They are temperamental, peaky, smoky, loud little buzz bombs. I've owned RX7s and RX8s and I hate hate HATE those motors. But the problem is the minimum weights and how they class a rotary for displacement... if they fixed that, nobody would "have to" do this engine in everything.

So when you write in your letters supporting this rule change today (hint hint!) you could also mention that you hate rotaries, and they should be banned from SMod in anything except Mazdas -or- they should be classified as a 3.9L motor (triple the "1.3L" displacement they like to claim), since they are not a straight 4 cycle engine and use a buttload of fuel.

That would clean up the dominance of rotaries (esp. the never-imported-here triple rotor 20B turbos) in SM2 also. And the weights given to FI cars is all jacked up... that "+1.3L" adder is retarded. They are thinking of a 2.2 multiplier for FI displacement, to get weights, which is closer to what it should be... write that in your letters, too!

PLEASE, please please.... write a letter - right now. I have heard a rumor that the letter stream on this huge potential rule change is very light, so let's change that! I wrote 3 letters myself, last night! Have your SCCA member number ready, make sure to pick the SM class, and put something in the subject line about "cross make engine swaps in SM". And in the body put that you agree (or disagree) with the proposed change. And don't forget to make a dig against rotaries/weights! It takes 30 seconds to write a letter online nowadays, and IT DOES MAKE AN IMPACT: www.sebscca.com

I have heard back about every single letter I've written of late. Maybe it just gave them a laugh, but your letters DO get discussed by the committees, even the crazy ones.

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Fair! View Post
                              I have heard back about every single letter I've written of late. Maybe it just gave them a laugh, but your letters DO get discussed by the committees, even the crazy ones.
                              Particularly the crazy ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X