Car Setup for Evo X

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Setup for Evo X

Just got a Evo X a few months ago. Going to learn the car stock before setting it up for STU, that way I can modify it in progression instead of buying tons of parts and getting lost.

Took it out to its first autox to try different tire pressures on a stock Evo X. Tried 36psi front/40rear, 36f/38r, and 35/36. The fastest time coming from the 36front/40rear set up. Afterward, a buddy of mine said I should have considered trying 40front/35rear instead.

What is everyone's school of thought?

Re: Car Setup for Evo X

School of thought... Evo X to heavy for 245 series tires

I thought Fair and Hanchey had a thread on the STU setup, but all I could find was this
    Last edited by John in Houston; 11-16-2010, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Yea I remember them saying that its too heavy for STU on 245 tires, but the car is still a daily driver right now so STU will have to be it. If it helps, mines a GSR so I might save about 100lbs from not having the SST tranny.

Maybe down the line it will progress to BSP or SM but one step at a time. Still gotta play somewhere right?

Comment

Wish the thread was there.... maybe fair or Hanchey will chime in. I think we decided that the spring rates were too high, but other than that, it was mostly tires causing the problem. weight + heat = !grip.

It was a fun car to drive though... and I'd love to have one for a track car (Time Trials).

Comment

Originally posted by 4B11AWD View Post
          Just got a Evo X a few months ago. Going to learn the car stock before setting it up for STU, that way I can modify it in progression instead of buying tons of parts and getting lost.

Took it out to its first autox to try different tire pressures on a stock Evo X. Tried 36psi front/40rear, 36f/38r, and 35/36. The fastest time coming from the 36front/40rear set up. Afterward, a buddy of mine said I should have considered trying 40front/35rear instead.

What is everyone's school of thought?
          Stock everything the car was a pig... lots of understeer when you pushed it, the car flopped around like a dead fish.

This was the first autocross in the EVO X - on 255mm Dunlop Star Specs but otherwise stock

It was a total joke on the stock suspension. Motion sickness inducing. When we had some 450#/in springs on real AST shocks and wider wheels & tires it felt like a race car should. And still rode great on the street!

On AST shocks and 18x10.5" wheels with 265s the EVO X was a dream!

Then we went overboard on the spring rates, trying to keep this big motha planted, and we made it worse when we stepped down to 245mm STU legal rubber. By then it was a mess again (see below).

We had the additional problem of the SST transmission overheating, then it started to shift very oddly in Sport automatic mode. It was time to go. I recommend against the MR/SST nowadays and suggest the EVO X GSR like you bought. When it worked the SST was so cool... but it won't stay perfect forever, and it adds a good bit of cost and weight.

Originally posted by John in Houston View Post
          School of thought... Evo X to heavy for 245 series tires

I thought Fair and Hanchey had a thread on the STU setup...
          http://vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6369 - read the build thread for Hanchey's EVO X. We tried all sorts of stuff...

Honestly with the 265/35/18 Yokohama AD07 tire on the 18x10.5" wheel was by far the best wheel and tire set-up on the X for both auto-x and track use. Highly suggest ignoring the "245mm" STU tire rule and run it on big wheels and tires (265, 275 or even 285mm 18"ers) in your local STU class. If anyone gives you grief, show 'em the curb weight!

Seriously, it was depressingly bad on the little 245s. Even a GSR is a big heavy S.O.B. and will drive you nuts "on the skinnies". Once you figure out if you want to go play in BSP or SMod you can re-use the same wheels and just upgrade the tires and other prep. These cars would be a lot of fun in BSP, I feel.

Of course get a set of ASTs and Vorshlag plates first. Single biggest improvement. Even before you touch the factory wheel and tire package, you've got to get the car lowered, cambered, firmed up, and properly damped.

Let us know if we can help.
          Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
          2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
          EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Thanks! AST and Vorshlag plates are for sure on my list. I'm just taking things one step at a time. Guess the original post was aiming at set up fundamentals for this car: more psi in the front or more psi in the rear for optimal balance/rotation.

Are you guys still making the 4200's for the Evo or is it only the 5100's and up?

Comment

Originally posted by 4B11AWD View Post
              Thanks! AST and Vorshlag plates are for sure on my list. I'm just taking things one step at a time. Guess the original post was aiming at set up fundamentals for this car: more psi in the front or more psi in the rear for optimal balance/rotation.

Are you guys still making the 4200's for the Evo or is it only the 5100's and up?
              Yep, no more 4000 series on EVO X. 5100/5200/4300 only. I'd suggest 5100s...
              Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
              2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
              EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Working...
              X