This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vorshlag Datsun 260Z

What happened... I just woke up today and this blast-from-the-past was in the driveway. Man, I thought that all day drive to and from Conroe was a dream. But no... there it sits, in the driveway, covered in bird sh!t and in need of hundreds of hours of work. We are already working at full capacity and lacking sleep. What have I done!?

This is the same silver 260Z that was once... err... twice owned by Hanchey, owned by me, by Koenig, by Sen-Roy, and then Hood. Somehow the "hot potato" has passed back into our hands. Back again, like a recurring infection! Of course the cool 2.8L motor and all of the "good suspension bits" and LSD rear were long pilfered. Its got a non-running drivetrain and stock-ish suspension underneath it, along with Toyota wheels (with the wrong bolt pattern, mind you) and 8 year old Kumhos that don't hold air. Nice...

The engine currently hanging out between the frame rails is a 2.4L from a 240, I think, with some unknown transmission - both of which Gary found and stuck in there "just to get it running". Needs a radiator, bunch of hoses, some accessories, fuel lines, battery, luck, etc. The rust isn't too bad, for a Z - just a giant hole under the battery tray, and some bubbles in the bottom of a door and on top of the cowl. Interior is a mess. This is what we deserve for buying a car sight unseen.

Does anyone in DFW have experience rebuilding Weber carbs? The dirt dobber nests inside these things do not bode well. And yes, that orange cowl induction fiberglass hood is from none other than the Wirtz Pumpkin Z.

No idea what we are doing with this thing... $2009 GRM Challenge? Dunno. V8 swap.... but why? Vintage Z car guys are too cheap to ever buy ASTs so it likely wont get any developmental AST suspension parts. Just get it running and figure out from there? Probably. Put the Webers on? Lots of work needed to rebuild these things. And a 2.4L motor? Yikes. Wonder how well an M52 would fit... hey, its a straight 6, right?

Let the name calling and "I told you so's" begin.
    Last edited by Fair!; 07-28-2008, 06:23 PM.
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Re: Vorshlag Datsun 260Z

I've seen meth habits do less destruction than whatever you're apparently on. But hey, maybe you should pick up one since you will be giving up sleep.
    Last edited by Redwood; 07-28-2008, 05:45 PM.
    -Sean Martin
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

The guy that bought my 240 said it was for a LS-1 conversion project...

Idea?
      Adam
      It's not so much the heat as it is the humidity

Comment

If the L24 has an E31 head on it, it is worth something to a vintage or ITS Datsun guy. Casting mark should be on the passenger side of the head. Percentage wise it is more likely a E88 but you never know....

Love the hood

And I don't care what anyone sez, that is one of the best looking sports cars out there.

Comment

I'm still kicking myself for not picking that up when MSR got rid of it.

Might ping Toddles and see if he knows anyone that can rebuild those Webers... I'm sure someone in his NAPA / racing / TAMU connections can do it.

If not, contact Matt Groner. One of his 2002's has side-drafts on it... so I'm sure he has someone that can rebuild / tune them.

Comment

Never again should I hear a Nomad joke! And you gave me crap for years about that! At least I doubled my money with that money pit and never lifted a finger on it.
            Last edited by McCall; 07-28-2008, 10:18 PM.
            McCall

Comment

Even *I* told ya so.

This car (parts) need to hit EBay....soon. I think it is an early motor.
              Brian Hanchey
              AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Tom Holt or Rick Martinez would probably be your best source for rebuild info. As well, Bug Clinic Bill has a ton of weber parts and experience. He can't clean a shop but he can tune a Weber!

BTW, before all the post Hanchey owners got a hold of it, the Z was a f(*^& blast to drive, especially faster than Hanchey!

Comment

Hey, aside from Wirtz I'm the biggest Z car fan here. I'm just thinking this wasn't the best place to start.

I'm the one that took the limited slip and good motor out of it. haha But I left the Sparco at least!
                  Brian Hanchey
                  AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
                    Even *I* told ya so.
                    Blah, blah, blah.... build struts or take vacation... nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by Wirtz
                      If the L24 has an E31 head on it, it is worth something to a vintage or ITS Datsun guy. Casting mark should be on the passenger side of the head. Percentage wise it is more likely a E88 but you never know....
                      I just checked - its an E88.

Originally posted by Wirtz
                      And I don't care what anyone sez, that is one of the best looking sports cars out there.
                      Agreed - the lines are very Italian. Even with faded paint and ghetto wheels I can still see the good looks of this car hiding underneath.

I'm going to clean out the interior this afternoon and see what's missing. Then get under hood and see what's gone there and "make The List". One thing that needs major help is the wheel and tire situation. There are some MayPops on the vintage mag wheels (14x6 I presume) but the old Toyota Supra wheels are slotted to fit this bolt pattern - something we just can't keep. Wheels have a 4 x 114.3mm bolt circle.... any ideas?

Thanks for the suggestions on the Webers. Don't know if its worth putting time and money into the Webers if the motor in the car is the worst of the worst. Need to get creative with the drivetrain... thoughts?

edit: Plastic dash cover needed badly. Whats the right source? I've seen some nice ones that cover up the whole thing. Its got cracks a small child could fall into.
                      Last edited by Fair!; 07-29-2008, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Funny... no wheels on TireCrack or DTDirect.

Ebay:

Polished Slots

Newer 6 star

Ebay Search - Some of the Empi knock-offs look cool

Looks like Rota makes a bunch of wheels in this lug format.

Long live Enkei!
                        Last edited by John in Houston; 07-29-2008, 09:30 AM.

Comment

How much did whoever pay you to take it?

Costas

Comment

Wow, finding wheels is tough. We've got some fresh 225/50/15's so I'm thinking 15x8s... looked on Edge Racing and it seems the 240SX uses the same 4x4.5" bolt pattern and a zero offset 15x8 shows to fit the old Z's, too. $95 per wheel for a cheesy 15x8 that is "15 pounds".

http://www.edgeracing.com/1990/Nissan/240SX/wheels/15/

Found them for $309/set on fleaBay, too.

Might be the only affordable choice.... we'll see. The interior is a mess. Needs a radiator, too. Looking...
                            Last edited by Fair!; 07-29-2008, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Early parts list:

Radiator, $233.27 (hmm... maybe I'll just make an aluminum Griffin fit?)
                              Radiator hoses = $15.33 + $20.55
                              Belts = $13/each or so
                              Distributor Cap = $7.13
                              Rotor = $2.53
                              PCV Valve = $4.59
                              Plug Wire set = $21.07
                              Air Filter (K&N) = $25.92
                              Master Cylinder = $140.07
                              Brake Disc = $28.43 (Brembo)
                              Brake Drum = $71.29 (Brembo)
                              Brake Pad Set = $23.93 (PBR, Ceramic)
                              Brake Shoe Set = $33.96

Who knows what else... that's what I can see is missing or trashed.

Full Carpet Kit = $165
                              Dash Cover = $130

Just barely scratching the surface here.... the list grows.

Comment

Working...
                              X