2007 Subaru WRX STI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Subaru WRX STI

Ever heard of keeping your friends close and your enemies closer? Well, this is somewhat a case for this. AST makes coilovers, we have Subaru guys asking for camber plates so we decided to buy one and do some testing. Mainly it is a daily driver that doubles for testing. We'll use it to push the M3 even faster. Back seat test driver shown in picture. Again, don't look for us to be the next Subaru/Evo tuning shop.

2007 Subaru WRX STI

Weight: 3150 pounds

Goals:
    • Daily Driver
    • Test mule
    • To never land a starring role in 3F3F
    • Car for events when it rains?
    The Basics:
    • Vorshlag prototype rear camber plates
    • AST front camber plates
    • AST 4100 series struts f/r
    • AST 515/450 lb/in f/r springs
    • Cobb downpipe (soon)
    • Access Port 2.0 (soon)
    So far:
    • Rides better than stock
    • Vorshlag plates give up to -3.8 degrees of camber (too much )
    • Boost buggies are fun, but let's face it, it's not a BMW.
    • One very expensive Impreza
    • Why can't I break the rear tires loose?
    Last edited by hancheyb; 04-09-2007, 02:32 PM.
    Brian Hanchey
    AST Suspension - USA

Re: 2007 Subaru WRX STI

Originally posted by hancheyb
    Why can't I break the rear tires loose?
    Play with the adjustible center diff a bit and put on cheapie replacement tires... Worked for me!
    '05 STi
    Obfuscation usually requires a lot more words than if you simply focus on fundamental principles, so I’m not at all surprised by the loquaciousness of liberals.

Comment

You need to add some more pics of the car now that it's lowered. It looked pretty d4mn good last night.
      McCall

Comment

Originally posted by McCall
        You need to add some more pics of the car now that it's lowered. It looked pretty d4mn good last night.
        Heh, well...it needs mudflaps at the moment. It was riding the bumpstops in that configuration so I had to raise it up. It seems to work better now.

Once I get the OK from AST for shorter bump stops, I'll do that plus it needs some VoMo camber plates up front. That should give me an inch of travel back. Stack up is so critical on these things since the factory piece was up in the opening of the tower, not flush up against it. Since we're doing CNC now, we can take even more stack up out of the plates, another 0.150" we think.

680/450 springs at the moment with a Cobb front bar and factory bar in the rear. 450 is probably too low, but I want to try it as is. The downpipe sure did help, but it still stumbles at 4k rpm. Can't wait to run it in this configuration on Sunday.

Next mod, revalve the shocks. They need more rebound and less compression from what I can tell. The rebound with these big springs has to be set pretty high, bottom 9 clicks or so are worthless so I figure if I add rebound and move click 10-12 down, I'd have the ability to turn it way up if I need to. The compression is just brutal on the street. Once we get the doubles working, that will fix that issue. Based on Fitzpatrick's finding, it probably needs that compression, but my kidneys don't need it.
        Brian Hanchey
        AST Suspension - USA

Comment

...Can't wait to run it in this configuration on Sunday.
          Sunday?

Comment

Originally posted by John in Houston
            Sunday?
            Ha, yes. I'm running Saturday AND Sunday. AST is here training us so we wanted to take Ronnie to some events assuming we have the time.
            Brian Hanchey
            AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Ha, yes. I'm running Saturday AND Sunday. AST is here training us so we wanted to take Ronnie to some events assuming we have the time.
              Cool!

Comment

The downpipe sure did help, but it still stumbles at 4k rpm. Can't wait to run it in this configuration on Sunday.
                Someone with a Subaru we know mentioned a factory TSB software thing for a known low rpm stumble. Could be worth a call to the dealership.
                Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
                2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
                EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!
                  Someone with a Subaru we know mentioned a factory TSB software thing for a known low rpm stumble. Could be worth a call to the dealership.
                  Did not help the issue.

OK for an update. Changes to the car lately include:
                  • 680 lb/in front springs
                  • 515 lb/in rear springs
                  • 1/16" toe out in front
                  • 3.8 degrees of camber in front
                  • 1.8 degrees of camber in rear
                  • Custom valved Sportline 1 shock absorbers
                  • Cobb front bar
                  • Cobb down pipe
                  • Borrowed SSRs and Yoks, thanks Paul Magyar!

The car feels pretty good. After Ronnie from AST revalved the shocks it is definitely better, but not perfect yet for street ride. It handles really well though!
                  Brian Hanchey
                  AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Did the revalve take place before the autocross or after?
                    -Sean Martin
                    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood
                      Did the revalve take place before the autocross or after?
                      Once before the Saturday event and once after it.
                      Brian Hanchey
                      AST Suspension - USA

Comment

some pics from event #2 for Brian (1st place out of 10, 7th overall in PAX) in this car:

more: http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/gallery/2818319#P-1-15

Comment

Allrighty, midnight last night. We picked up the Subaru from what is now called "the southern location". We whipped up a "cat back" altho it is more of a "cat b" since it doesn't go all the way back. Basically it is a 3" made of SS 304 with a 45 degree bend terminating at the passenger side rear door. The goal was to build something that helped with the turbo spooling up. It definitely helped over the stock exhaust. It is definitely "race only" though. Harley loud. I did a couple of 2nd gear and "flat foot" turns this morning. Definitely comes on boost sooner. Coming back, Fair was in front of me in the truck and I stomped on it and almost hit him it spooled up so much faster.

Still needs tuning though. It even clears speed bumps. I'll post pictures here.

BTW, the stock cat back weighs 35 pounds. Not sure what the new one weighs yet, but there's not much to it.

Next things to fix:
                          -brakes
                          -rear sway bar
                          -tuning
                          Brian Hanchey
                          AST Suspension - USA

Comment

When Brian left at ~1:30 last night I think he woke every man, woman, child, dog, and cow in Faireview, TX.

Its defnitely not stealth! But it pulls like a freight train now.

Comment

While the Fairs were representin' at the Divisional, I did some work on the STI.

Weekend update.
                              • Beta testing a "special sauce" map from a tuner. I received it Friday afternoon. Not sure if they want it known yet. Seems to have fixed most of my complaints about throttle response and low end torque. No more surge at 4k rpm. The power is very linear and builds from 3000 rpm in all gears.
                              • Added Cobb rear sway bar. Can't tell if this did much till we go run it. Thinking about a mid week trip to Mineral Wells before the BMW event at LaGrave, similar surface to Topeka.
                              • Added Ferodo DS2500 series pads, ATE Blue fluid and Goodridge SS brake lines. HUGE difference here. I think the brakes are now race ready.
                              • Added stock exhaust back on. The Fairs dropped it off last night around 9:30. I think it took me 30 minutes or less to swap them out. My hearing is recovering. I have to say, driving around with the open pipe all weekend was quite fun. The exhaust burbles and pops on the overrun btwn shifts and deceleration. I found myself downshifting through each gear just to hear it. People will definitely know when you're on or off the gas.
                              Brian Hanchey
                              AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Working...
                              X