01R versus the new Star Spec

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 01R versus the new Star Spec

Been using the Star Specs on the M3 but they seem much softer than the 01Rs I'm used to.

40psi up front was enough to keep them from rolling over. Rear was at 38psi.

Is anyone running these tires at higher pressures? How about lower pressures?

Re: 01R versus the new Star Spec

I had the total opposite experience - The bridgestones seem floppy and imprecise, the dunlops are much sharper (and handle heat about a million times better).

I run 34/34 F/R in the Dunlops on my car, with plenty of camber (3.7F/2.1R). No rolling over.
    Chris
    97 M3/4 - STU
    06 Evo - SM
    00 S2000 - STR

Comment

Okay, will try lower pressures. We ran them on our Z3 last weekend at the autocross and even without the stagger didn't feel as predictable as the 01Rs. Conditions: Concrete pad, 70 degrees and stock suspension with H&R bars set medium front and rear.

We won class again on the 01Rs but our top driver shootout (indexed like PAX) is coming up and wanted to run these Star Specs without stagger. Want the trophy!

Comment

Even with the 245s all the way around the Z1s push. Tried 40/35 for pressure front and rear and it helped but would like some opinions about rotation or less understeer in the 97 M3 sedan.

Thanks

Comment

You can blame the tires for the push... but I'm not buying it.

No push on mine... 35psi front, 30 psi rear on 17x9s with 255s

600/700 springs

AST 4200s at f:8c11r, r: 9c11r

UUC Swayboobarians: F: soft R: med

Lots of camber, lots of caster, lots of toe-out up front

Definitely go lower in your pressures.
          Last edited by John in Houston; 03-09-2009, 04:16 PM.

Comment

The bars have been ordered but not arrived. Toe is 1/8 out up front. 3.5 camber front, 2.2 camber rear.

We'll try 35/30 psi but our 01Rs were BETTER!

(Guess who bought all the 255s from that fire sale?)

Comment

Originally posted by 97M3 View Post
              ...our 01Rs were BETTER!
              unpossible

(Guess who bought all the 255s from that fire sale?)
              Good... you saved me from another mistake

Comment

I agree with John, the Dunlops are definitely faster than the RE01Rs in my experience. Back-to-back, I was seeing an easy .5 secs on a 60-sec course. HUGE.

I ran 35F/35R in my car with the Dunlops. More pressure in the rear seemed to make it more active, so you might try that.
                Chris
                97 M3/4 - STU
                06 Evo - SM
                00 S2000 - STR

Comment

The RE01Rs might have a slightly softer tread compound, and a tiny edge in ultimate mid-corner grip, but the Dunlops are MUCH more responsive. We have done lots of testing on the RE01Rs on 6+ different cars over the 2007-2008 seasons and they always feel the same on every car... sloppy carcass, slow to respond, but grippy when you can keep them loaded up. They work better with more air pressure and a wider wheel, to keep the tire more stable. The RE01R works fine on a road course (we saw 1.30g in the E30, a very light car with 205mm tires) but they are not as well behaved on an autocross course.

Check out the RE01R's carcass - they move all over the damn place

They are temping as a cheap track tire at ~$80 but I'm done with these things - I won't make the mistake of taking a knife to a gunfight ever again.

The Dunlops are considerably better in every way. The Dunlop's tire carcass is substantially stiffer (and Yokohama's is even more so), and that keeps the tire more stable on the wheel for a flatter, more usable tread. They also feel SO much better at turn-in and in transitions - its sad how sloppy the Bridgestones are.

The EVO X made 1.21 g lateral and 1.15 under braking on 6000 mile old Dunlop Star Specs last week. That's not too shabby for a 3500 pound car on little 245mm tires and skinny 8" wheels. They are more heat resistant than RE01Rs but on this heavy car they still overheated after a few hard road course laps. The EVO needs 285s in a bad way.

Moving to a Dunlop (or Yokohama AD07 - a better tire overall) from a sloppy floppy Bridgestone will take some setup adjustment. Run more camber up front and try less front swaybar or more rear bar to help turn-in. I await judgment on the new RE11, Kumho XS and AD08 until we can drive/test on them, but a little birdie says all of the new models are an improvement on the old.
                  Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
                  2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
                  EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Working...
                  X