Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Group Buy: New NC MX5/Miata AST 4210 shocks!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group Buy: New NC MX5/Miata AST 4210 shocks!

Introducing the AST 4210 shock for the NC MX5

Chris Robbin's NC Miata, CSP Prepped for autocross use and still street driven. The perfect car to test the new AST 4210!

We don't do Group Buys unless its to kick off something new, and this is no exception. We've done a good bit of sales in NA/NB (1st/2nd gen) Miata shocks and have developed singles, doubles and triples with AST and some dealers' help. The NC MX5 is a very different chassis and does not have the extremely short rear shocks of the NA/NB, so it does not need a remote reservoir to have adequate suspension travel like those earlier cars. We've made 5200 shocks for this car and the RX8 (which share the same shock mounting types and lengths), but the remote reservoirs on the 5200/5300 design make for a pricier package.

AST 4200 shocks are extremely popular to autocrossers and road racers due to their performance, quality, cost, and lack of reservoirs

The longer rear shock on the NC allows us to spec a brand new 4200 model - a double adjustable monotube shock without reservoirs, but with a twist, and we are calling it the 4210. This design saves the cost of the remote assemblies and hoses, but still allows separate adjustment of compression and rebound damping. Most autocrossers and track drivers want and need separate knobs for these two critical adjustments, and the 4210 fits that need.

There is some additional technology AST is adding to the new 4210, namely the new Big Bore Nitrogen Chamber. This was a new design concept we saw at the AST headquarters in Holland a number of weeks ago and we've been looking for the right car to introduce this on. We will add additional pictures as these move into testing phase, just before full production. Basically the diameter at the bottom is enlarged compared than the main threaded body portion of the shock, allowing for more nitrogen volume, a large diameter floating piston, and more total travel within this shock body length. This 4210 technology is rolling out for the first time for the NC MX5, and it will propagate to other models soon after.

As with other AST designs, these Dutch built, high quality monotube have unmatched damping characteristics and can work equally as well on a track only prepped trailer queen or a dual purpose street/autocross car as well. We can valve them to suit any spring rate combination and they have a lifetime warranty.

The Group Buy details are as follows:

A typical AST coilover kit as supplied by Vorshlag (NC MX5/RX8 AST 5200 kit shown)

AST 4210 kit for NC MX5. Kit includes 4 aluminum-bodied, threaded coilover double adjustable 4210 shocks, 4 AST spherical top mounts, Spherical mounts on the bottom of the shocks, and 4 Hypercoil 2.25" diameter springs (you can choose the rates), and all spring perches needed. Tender springs (Eibach) can be added as an upgrade (for the rear).

Retail price: $3803
    Group Buy Price: $2859
    (this savings of $944 applies to the Group Buy folks only!)

AST spherical top mounts will be included into the Group Buy kits

These new shocks would ship in 8-12 weeks after receiving deposits. These will be some really trick shocks - nothing like this exists for the NC MX5!

If you want in on this deal please send an email to us at sales@vorshlag.com and we will discuss the deposit requirements and put you on the list. If we can get 15 or more people to sign up AST will make this production run, so spread the word. This $944 discount only applies to the Group Buy folks.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Fair!; 08-20-2009, 06:05 PM.
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Re: Group Buy: New NC MX5/Miata AST 4210 shocks!

Brian and Terry,

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH! I'm so excited about these, thanks for posting this!
    Henry
    '07 MX-5 5spd

Comment

Any news on this group buy? I am so tired of driving good car with silly soft suspension!
      The new PAX numbers are out and I have alot of work to do! How many more do we need?

Comment

Hi! I know several of you have been speaking with Terry and Brian, and a few have emailed me as well. Here's the update I promised...

I was just at AST-USA today (Friday, Nov. 27), where Piet and Ronnie Kreeft from AST Holland crawled around my car to determine if an internal double-adjustable setup will actually fit. The NC MX-5 has some unique characteristics, and there some had expressed concern about stroke length with the internal reservoir. They looked over Brian's notes and took some additional measurements. Then they spoke Dutch for several minutes.

Then they turned to Brian and me and said...

Wait for it...

It'll work! Piet said to send in the official orders to Holland, and they'd get my prototype set finished and shipped to Brian ASAP. The production units can be shipped shortly after initial fitment and trials, likely just after the New Year!

Go meet them at Eagles Canyon where they're hosting a track day Monday!
        Autocross junkie
        VTPP!

Comment

These are a bit overdue, but the "high travel" design for the 4210 took a bit more work than originally expected... and they are rolling out to several 4200 models at once.

Brian Hanchey of AST-USA has been at the AST factory this week and shot an iPhone pic of an actual, honest-to-goodness 4210 production shock body that was finish machined and anodized, ready for shafts and assembly. I cleaned it up a bit and added some comments, shown below:

As you can see the larger diameter Nitrogen/floating piston chamber is obvious. The machine work is outstanding and we're all VERY excited to see this test set coming "in the next handful of weeks". We will post more data as they arrive on US shores and make their way onto Tester Chris Robbins' MX5.

Note: these aren't made to be pretty - they are made to be the best damned double adjustables that don't have remote reservoirs on the planet. If they look phenomenal its simply a result of the normal quality AST builds into every design. Please - don't admire AST for bling, admire their quality, performance and value. Thanks!
          Last edited by Fair!; 05-21-2010, 04:41 PM.

Comment

After some extraordinary delays, it is here.... this is the first spy shot!

This is an iPhone picture I grabbed last week when in the AST-USA shop - its a sneak peak at the real 4210. This is going to be tested this week on an E46 M3, and if all goes well, going into production soon after for the Miata and others.

Comment

Believe it or not, the 4210 shock is through prototype stage and into production, at least for the BMW E30. We went by AST-USA and snapped this spy pic of some production 4210s made for a BMW E30 rear!

(please pardon my shoe that was in the pic)

There's also a tester's Miata (NC MX5) parked at AST-USA right now getting some AST 3000s (no idea what these are) test fit and closer measurements taken for those 4210s.

(this car was seen parked at AST-USA today!)

We'll let you guys know more as we find out. We've asked for 4210 pricing for the NC MX5, which we'll release here ASAP.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X