X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• September Fasttrack

http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/Fil...track-sept.pdf

TECH BULLETINS
    1) Street Touring: In the second sentence of 14.10.E, replace “US DOT” with “EPA tailpipe” and in 14.10.E.6, replace “STS” with
    “ST” and replace “the Federal 49-state safety and tailpipe emissions” with “EPA tailpipe emissions”. Note: This corrects the reference
    to the responsible agency within the federal government.

2) Street Touring: The Tech Bulletin published in the August 2007 Fastrack in regards to the “emissions system” was intended
    to refer to the “emissions monitoring system” in all cases. Since the inception of the ST category, the goal has been to reflect
    common, street-legal modifications, as stated in the opening paragraph of section 14. An integral part of street legality is emissions
    legality. The SEB interprets the phrases “meet emissions standards” and “emissions legal” as the ability to meet the
    tailpipe emissions standards of an Inspection and Maintenance (I/M) test. I/M testing is commonly required by the EPA in socalled
    “non-attainment zones” and is a subset of the original vehicle emissions certification (Federal Test Procedure).
    On vehicles equipped with OBD-II monitoring, the I/M test relies on the OBD-II system to determine whether or not the vehicle
    meets the tailpipe emissions standards. Non-compliance is indicated by the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL, commonly called
    a check engine light). As such, modifications that invalidate the monitoring and/or reporting of the OBD-II system are not considered
    emissions legal.

On pre-OBD-II vehicles, the I/M test utilizes a dynamometer test to determine whether or not the vehicle meets the tailpipe emissions
    standards. The three common tailpipe dynamometer tests are IM240, ASM2525 and ASM5015.
    '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Dr. Clarkson

Re: September Fasttrack

This also looked interesting:

APPENDIX D - SOLO TRIALS RULES
    I. PURPOSE
    Solo® Trials provides a venue for SCCA® members who wish to experience higher speeds than the current Solo® program allows
    and/or for whom the Time Trials program has not been available or desirable. Solo® Trials is a program for regions and drivers
    with a lower level of speeds, hazards, administrative complications and costs than Time Trials.
    Background Motivation:
    Several independent and marque autocross clubs, although considerably less regulated, have offered his type of program for
    many years without competition from SCCA®. Since region and member input indicated a need SCCA® has developed this new
    program. An added incentive to formulate this program for our membership was the potential to attract new members from the
    independent clubs who run this type of event into the SCCA® Solo® Program.
    The Solo® Trials Program has three primary goals:
    1) to be a venue for our members to compete in a safe, higher speed Solo® event;
    2) to give SCCA® Regions, previously unable for various reasons to conduct Time Trials, a different type of Solo event to offer current
    and potential members; and
    3) to develop a cadre of new competitors and organizers experienced in Solo® Trials events who will be encouraged to consider
    involvement in Time Trial Events. With the achievement of these three goals the Solo® Trials Program will provide a more rounded
    Solo® program for our members.
    II. CONCEPT
    All Solo® Trials Events will generally be run on flat, expansive asphalt or concrete pavement with very minimal fixed objects present
    on the course site. Essentially, these events will be planned for sites such as airport facilities or very large parking areas that
    can have a defined perimeter to control access and be protected from unwanted entry. This program is not intended for racetrack
    facilities, which are used for Time Trials events or shopping mall-type parking lots that are commonly used for Solo® events.
    Extremely rare exceptions may be made for racetrack facility usage under special circumstances when the course design and
    locations of hazards present appropriate risks, such as an airport-based facility. The course will be designated by pylons, and as
    in other Solo® events, displacement of these pylons will penalize drivers. Solo® Trials events can be characterized as introductory
    Time Trials events, using pylon defined road courses and speeds in excess of those currently limited in the Solo® program
    are permitted but are more limited than for Time Trials events. Approved course designs will not normally permit potential vehicle
    speeds of the fastest Stock, Street Touring®, or Street Prepared vehicles to exceed 95 MPH.
    Solo® Trial events will fall under the authority of the Divisional Solo® Steward (DSS) and under the regulation of the National
    Solo® Rules (SR), except as exempted by these Solo® Trials Rules.

Mineral Wells would be a great spot for that.
    '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
      http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/Fil...track-sept.pdf

TECH BULLETINS
      1) Street Touring: In the second sentence of 14.10.E, replace “US DOT” with “EPA tailpipe” and in 14.10.E.6, replace “STS” with
      “ST” and replace “the Federal 49-state safety and tailpipe emissions” with “EPA tailpipe emissions”. Note: This corrects the reference
      to the responsible agency within the federal government.

2) Street Touring: The Tech Bulletin published in the August 2007 Fastrack in regards to the “emissions system” was intended
      to refer to the “emissions monitoring system” in all cases. Since the inception of the ST category, the goal has been to reflect
      common, street-legal modifications, as stated in the opening paragraph of section 14. An integral part of street legality is emissions
      legality. The SEB interprets the phrases “meet emissions standards” and “emissions legal” as the ability to meet the
      tailpipe emissions standards of an Inspection and Maintenance (I/M) test. I/M testing is commonly required by the EPA in socalled
      “non-attainment zones” and is a subset of the original vehicle emissions certification (Federal Test Procedure).
      On vehicles equipped with OBD-II monitoring, the I/M test relies on the OBD-II system to determine whether or not the vehicle
      meets the tailpipe emissions standards. Non-compliance is indicated by the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL, commonly called
      a check engine light). As such, modifications that invalidate the monitoring and/or reporting of the OBD-II system are not considered
      emissions legal.

On pre-OBD-II vehicles, the I/M test utilizes a dynamometer test to determine whether or not the vehicle meets the tailpipe emissions
      standards. The three common tailpipe dynamometer tests are IM240, ASM2525 and ASM5015.
      Wow, "that's so much better"...

clear as mud
      Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
      2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
      EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

The rule still leads to contradiction with previously approved rules.... so this clarification, while at least defining what they were attempting to say, really does nothing.

www.sccaforums.com has some interesting conversations on this topic (Senor Sipe is in there again).

I think I see where the organization is trying to go... but that dog won't hunt from here.

My opinion is that it should be put on the back burner (ie: Clarification(s) recinded) until after Nationals and then a forum discussing the SCCAs desired direction should be held. Based on that, properly worded rule changes should be made to accomplish this [/i]new[/i] goal. Until this happens, I don't think anyone knows for sure what is / is not protestable based soley on this clarification.

Just my $.00001 on the topic.

Comment

Working...
        X