Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vorshlag 1991 BMW 318is

It runs...

Hanchey has been attacking the E30 for the past 2 weeks, late into the night while I worked on other stuff, and he got it wrapped up the past two nights. He finished up the wiring, plumbing, and broken part replacements. All new vacuum lines in many sizes, belts, coolant hoses, new guiebo (driveshaft bushing), all new shifter bushings (huge difference)!, new air intake hose assembly (old one was ripped), radiator, fan, new trans/diff/engine lubricants (Redline and Castrol synthetics) and a million other things. He's been a busy man, and got dirty on a lot of hot nights lately, fighting this little monster. One or two more loose ends to wrap up (mostly the idle control valve and an aftermarket alarm removal) and it should purr like a kitten.

I helped a little last night, with some engine detailing (of course!), wheel stud install, and help with the front offset control arm bushings removal/replacement. Getting those buggers forced onto the control arm ends was a total PITA. The old ones were trashed and the new ones didn't want to go on without a fight, esp. the passenger's side. Luckily no pictures were taken because this was the least graceful position I've ever been forced into working on a car: It looked like a failed game of Twister, played with a man and a car, with the car "on top". My back and arms are still sore, but we got 'em on.

After two late nights in a row wrapping up all of the work, it runs and (probably) drives. Too dark/late to go drive it, as the low beams aren't working (only the hi beams). The front shocks are long thrashed, but we have some AST 4100s coming on our next shipment that will be tested on this car, along with some camber plates and a Mason front strut brace. It cleaned up underhood surprisingly well! With a little more TLC and some better wheels, this might not be such an eye sore after all.
    Last edited by Fair!; 09-11-2007, 12:48 AM.
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

And the world's worst oil leak is fixed! We put the whole thing together, ran it and it leaked oil like crazy. Too much to be a seal. Turns out a plug in the back of the head was hand tight. Me thinks someone took it out to attach a chain to it at some point. Either way it is done.

Engine purrs like a kitten. Poly motor mounts are only slightly annoying.
      Brian Hanchey
      AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
        And the world's worst oil leak is fixed! We put the whole thing together, ran it and it leaked oil like crazy. Too much to be a seal. Turns out a plug in the back of the head was hand tight. Me thinks someone took it out to attach a chain to it at some point. Either way it is done.

Engine purrs like a kitten. Poly motor mounts are only slightly annoying.
        Sweet!! So has it been driven??
        McCall

Comment

Originally posted by McCall
          Sweet!! So has it been driven??
          Heck yes! We drove it tonight, in the dark, with no lights. W00! DangerWagon was reborn!!

The charging circuit doesn't seem to want to, um, charge, but other than that it runs like a top. Brian got the idle air control motor reinstalled and it idles now (amazing how that works). Washed off the cobwebs and funk, even mopped the floor. We'll work on the charging system and de-alarmafication later in the week. I HATE aftermarket alarms.

Comment

Hanchey has been attacking the E30 charging system little by little. Tonight, after swapping alternators back and forth and then testing one at a parts store (it was bad) he pulled them apart (down to the brushes/regulators) and found some issues: massive corrosion on a terminal, a missing ground strap on the other, and some subtle differences. Once that he became the E30 M42 alternator expert he quickly got one working unit together and fixed the charging system.

Brian yanked the stupid aftermarket alarm and the constant drain on the battery is now gone, too. Funny how "cheap alarm" and "constant amp draw" seem to go hand-in-hand.

It runs! It charges! It still has no Low beam headlights. The Bentley has missing wiring diagrams for the "one off" 1991 model 318is, so the bad low beam relay will be found with the "trial and error" method, swapping around the unmarked/unknown relays until the low beams work.

Tomorrow night - test drives out into the countryside! 6000 rpm clutch dumps! A long walk home!
            Last edited by hancheyb; 09-24-2007, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Yep, I probably wasted a night or two because I DOUBTED the Bentley. It was right all along. Never doubt your Bentley manual. But then there's the incorrect diagram for the fuse block. I guess we can let that go.

Can't wait to get it on the road. This car reminds me of working on a 240Z. Everything is pretty easy to get to and simple. I was just trying to overcomplicate it.
              Brian Hanchey
              AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!
                It still has no Low beam headlights. The Bentley has missing wiring diagrams for the "one off" 1991 model 318is, so the bad low beam relay will be found with the "trial and error" method, swapping around the unmarked/unknown relays until the low beams work.
                One of the links I sent to Hanchey had the location.

Tomorrow night - test drives out into the countryside! 6000 rpm clutch dumps! A long walk home!
                Check the rear diff bushing before you do that... or it will be a costly walk home

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
                  Never doubt your Bentley
                  Words to live by
                  Hunter

Ladies and Gentlemen this is your captain speaking. Please put your collars in the upright and POPed position.

Comment

Originally posted by Hankimchee
                    Never doubt your Bentley
                    Originally posted by Hunter Bentley
                    Words to live by
                    But don't trust a Hunter named Dick.
                    Toth: "I would sue Duck, but I don't know what I would do with 3 pennies and a hoopty GTO."
                    Me: "I never finish anyth..."

Comment

I poured over the rulebook looking for the right class for this car, if it even exists, and I think Hanchey has indeed found it - STS. Going to scale it soon to see if its close to the lightest ~1900 pound STS Honda (Hollis' car) and then onto a dyno to see if its got enough power. Might be the car and class we put Amy in next season?

16x7.5" wheels, 225 tires, AST/Vorshlag suspension, race seats, A/C removal, a lightweight battery, a custom header, a stock cat but custom cat-back, and a lot of tuning. Who knows?

The weight will tell us a lot about this car's potential...
                      Last edited by Fair!; 01-21-2008, 05:12 PM.

Comment

I'd LOVE to see a non-Civic be competitive in this class!
                        2001 Jeep Wrangler
                        2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
                        Front LCA Bushing Swap
                        E36 Custom Cat Back
                        M3 Limited Slip Diff Repair
                        Diff Swap

Comment

Russell Blume ran one in STX back in 2003. It was decently prepped, non-sunroof, cloth, etc. If I remember correctly, it was around 2400 lbs.

I was running my E36 325is in STS at the time, and we swapped cars for several runs at an event. Both drivers and cars were pretty even. I don't think an E36 could win STS anymore, and take the LSD away from that 318, and it's even worse. My advice: don't waste your time and money.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by bfitz
                            Russell Blume ran one in STX back in 2003. It was decently prepped, non-sunroof, cloth, etc. If I remember correctly, it was around 2400 lbs.

I was running my E36 325is in STS at the time, and we swapped cars for several runs at an event. Both drivers and cars were pretty even. I don't think an E36 could win STS anymore, and take the LSD away from that 318, and it's even worse. My advice: don't waste your time and money.

Brian
                            +1

We tried to run two cars this year and you see where that got us.
                            Brian Hanchey
                            AST Suspension - USA

Comment

I've been driving the 318 this week. Man, what a great daily driver (in the fall). A/C doesn't work yet. I cleaned up the carpet on one side, gotta do some more work, but in the end it should clean up nice. Got it inspected yesterday and it blew totally clean.

It needs a couple of interior pieces, a rear diff bushing, and some ASTs (they are in Customs) and it will be quite a little ride. It puts things in perspective driving a $350 car around. My neighbor was over talking about how he was going to buy a Ferrari 360. I said, why buy that when you can get 300 used e30s??? He said, "where would I put them all?"
                              Brian Hanchey
                              AST Suspension - USA

Comment

I told you... the dang things are a blast on the street... at least once you rev them

Comment

Working...
                                X