AST 4210 - '06 Mazda MX-5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AST 4210 - '06 Mazda MX-5

It'll be a while before the new 4210's come in, but I'm really looking forward to working with Terry and Brian on getting this setup perfected for the NC, so I thought I'd share just a little info on my car and me.

The car is a 2006 Mazda MX-5 Sport; Marble White with black cloth seats. Bought new, the only factory option was TPMS (which has worked flawlessly, although it takes more wheel weights to balance them).

It’s my daily driver, and has just over 36k on the clock. I’m driving it less on the street these days, choosing to commute with my wife whenever possible (we have a 2008 Mazda CX-9).

I had Mazdaspeed sport springs, sways, exhaust, front strut bar, and Koni Sport shocks installed on delivery, along with the factory Appearance Package, and 235/40ZR17 Goodyear F1 GS-D3 tires on Enkei RPF1 17x7.5" wheels.

Soon after I got the autocross bug, I added 17x9" RPF1s with 245/40R17 BFG R1 tires, and a Mazdaspeed LSD and CAI. Still not satisfied, and in the middle of the autocross season last year (big mistake), I switched to custom Koni Sport/Hyperco coilovers (450 lb/in front springs; 400 in the back), Mazdaspeed RX8 front swaybar, and 18x9.5" RPF1s with 285/30R18 Kumho V710s. Still later, I got a Hotchkis 33mm front bar (for the RX- with THK endlinks. What a difference the new package made!

I'm currently competing in CSP, having won the SCCA Texas Region points championship in 2008. I also won the '08 Houston Divisional, and the '09 DFW Divisional. I also went to the SCCA Solo Nationals in 2008. Unfortunately, I wasn't used to driving with so much "stick" and the mid-year changes actually hurt me at Nationals. Lesson learned - keep the setup static, with just a few tweaks, after June.

I LOVE CSP and big, fat, sticky R-compound tires, but I've given serious consideration to switching to STR in 2010. The class seems to be perfect for the MX-5!

It's already built 95% to the limits of STR, with upgraded suspension, sways, FSTB, wheels/tires, brake pads/lines, LSD, and ECU. I still run the stock clutch & flywheel and exhaust (except for the MS exhaust can), and the only things left to do are race seats, suspension bushings, and engine mounts. I may or may not do any of these...we'll see!

My competition goals are to repeat (or three-peat) as Texas Region CSP Champion; finish in the top 1/3 at Solo Nationals in CSP in 2009; win the SOWDIV title in 2010; win a National Tour event and in the trophies at Nationals in 2010; develop a winning STR car and finish in the top 5 at Nationals when STR becomes an official class (2011?)

A little bit about me - I live in Murphy, Texas, a small bedroom community east of Plano and Richardson, south of Parker, and north of Garland.

I’ve personally done all the installation and setup work on my car, except the LSD (current Koni/Hyperco coilover suspension, sways, brakes, ECU reflash, etc.); I had Eurosport do my corner weights, balance, and alignment. I built my tire trailer, and have towed it to attend local events, as well as to Baton Rouge, Houston, San Antonio/Pearsall, Austin, Little Rock, Oklahoma City, Newport AR, Topeka, and most recently Vail.

I’ve been autrocrossing on and off since 1975, but never as seriously as the past two years, when I’ve attended all but one Texas SCCA regional event, all but one SCCA SOWDIV event, several events in OKC, plus a ProSolo and two National Tours. And this will be my second year in a row to attend the SCCA Solo National Championships – I’m making the trip to Lincoln in a few weeks (I have a special co-driver that's still a secret).

My plans next year are to attend every SCCA Texas Region and SOWDIV event; at least half of the Equipe Rapide events; a few local events in OKC and/or Little Rock; as many as three National Tours and/or ProSolos; and the Solo Nationals. I’d also like to attend at least one track day.

Some other info about me: I’m a Manager of Talent Development and 14 year employee at Southwest Airlines. I've been married 30 years, and have two adult children and two grandchildren. I attended the Evolution PDS (Phase 1 & 2, and at both National Tours I’ve attended).

More to come!
    Autocross junkie
    VTPP!
Working...
X