Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sean & Iain's excellent (crazy?) adventure...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sean & Iain's excellent (crazy?) adventure...

Whew – what a trip! Made it home to DFW without incident. ~2100 miles, four states, countless curves, and no major issues. The car definitely has a “vintage” feel to it – no power steering, no power brakes, and a 4-speed manual will do that to you – but it made the journey without complaint and was pretty comfortable. Yay for vintage Recaros!

We woke up early Saturday morning and headed for Big Sur, driving by Laguna Seca on the way. It was before 7 when we got there and no one was at the gatehouse… so we drove in and drove on up to the corkscrew. We might have slipped through a gate at the top and taken a bunch of pictures, or maybe we didn’t. Who knows?

It was quite amazing to walk down the corkscrew, even in the dense fog. It’s a huge elevation change!

At the top of the corkscrew is a patio with dedication bricks:

West from Laguna Seca to the PCH, then down the coast through Big Sur. Now you’re talkin’:

The coast road was beautiful, but unfortunately it was very foggy Saturday morning:

Cool old Mercedes wagon:

Stopping along the coast for a break:

The water looked VERY cold:

You lookin’ at me?

We stopped along the coast again at Point Piedras Blancas and saw a colony of sea lions on the beach:

We turned inland at Cambria and headed through the lower wine country:

We crossed the Mojave through the afternoon – timing is everything, right? Overall, the car handled the heat just fine, although the A/C is a little marginal. Oil temps were fine with extended triple digit cruising through the 115+ degree desert temps.

We had one “oh sh!t” moment in Needles when the car refused to idle after an extended run through the desert. We think it vapor locked – once we got it started and got the car moving again, it was fine.

The sun set on us as we crossed into Arizona and headed through Flagstaff. We made it as far as Grants, NM before we ran out of steam – 1014 miles from where we started Saturday morning.

Sunday was more of the same – up before dawn and on the road for the final 700 mile push. Dawn in northern New Mexico:

West Texas is flat. Very flat.

Lots of cops in Texas using instant on radar – we got a warning light show from one statie headed the other way, but no tickets overall. We made great time across California and most of Arizona, but it was a different story through New Mexico and Texas.

We made it back to DFW around 6pm this evening. Overall it was quite an adventure, and it’s a trip I’d love to do again, but with a lot more leisure time to stop and explore. Still, I’m glad I went, and Sean’s new toy is pretty cool. I had some reservations about driving a 28-year old Porsche that far across country, but my fears were unfounded. The car ran like a champ, and it’s a lot of fun.

May you drive it in good health Sean!

Link to the photo album
    Iain

'01 Honda S2000 - extra crispy
    '05 Honda CR-V EX AWD - alphabet soup family truckster
    Always looking for a co-drive...

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Re: Sean & Iain's excellent (crazy?) adventure...

Awesome pics! Beautiful car!!!
      99 AW M3

Comment

Working...
      X