2011 Mustang GT - first drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Mustang GT - first drive

After a brisk early morning bike ride Saturday, Amy and I were out having breakfast with Paul M. We were driving by the Ford dealer on the way back to the house, so we stopped in to look at the 2011 Mustang GT 5.0. We had stopped in there about a month ago and it wasn't in yet, but one of Amy's co-workers got one and she LOVED it.

So Amy and I have owned and raced a lot of Mustangs in the past, but the 4.6L GTs never really did it for me. Just didn't have enough oomph to overcome the added weight of the SN95 or S197 chassis Mustangs. But the 2011 GT gets a 5.0L V8 that has 412 hp, and it revs to 7000 rpm - plus they had some brake upgrades for 2011 as well - so that all peaked my interest. The 2010 Mustang got a new front and rear look, the 2011 interior got some updates, as well as a killer optional hdd based NAV/music system - which peaked Amy's interest. From a business point of view I'd sure like to get my hands on a S197 chassis Mustang for a good while, to further develop suspension parts for them. We make camber plates for these but I'm not happy with the design just yet - it needs several tweaks and some extra polish before we release it.

So the test drive was pretty good - the dealer just tossed us the keys and we tore ass out of there for a good 20 minutes. This GT had the 6-spd and the optional 14" Brembo front brakes (which automatically changes the wheels/tires from 235mm/18x8" to 255/40/19/19x9") and nothing else. I was worried the 19" tires would make it ride like a truck, but with 40 series sidewalls - these things are mega tall - it still rode (and handled) like a big marshmallow. Brakes worked REALLY well.

We talked to the dealer a bit and I noted my apprehension with this car as well as the new 2010 Camaro - excessive curb weight. I asked if I could bring my scales up there to weigh the 2011 GT they had (only a couple were left on the lot - and this red one was fairly close to how we'd order it). She said "take it home, keep it all day, and weigh it there." So we did!

The results were about what I expected... 3605 lbs with a half tank of fuel (about 8 gal). Balance was OK with 55.6% was on the front wheels (sans driver), and a good cross weights of 49.2%/50.8% (with driver).

This weight was with the "trunk junk" removed (which didn't amount to much). Here's the options this car had...

All in all it was quite fun to drive and would shred the 255 Pirellis. The optional 3.73 gears gave it good acceleration but 2nd gear topped out at only 60 mph. That's not going to work for autocross use (ESP class would be the best place for it) so I need to run the numbers for the standard 3.31 gears and the other optional 3.55 rear ratio. The 6-spd is nice, the clutch effort is easy, and the steering seems quick - but the suspension is mushy, jacked up and needs springs and shocks in a big way.

Surprisingly larger swaybars - 36mm (obviously hollow) in front, 24mm (solid) out back - but it still has way too much lean and sway in transition. It badly needs a LOT more spring rate, and more tire.

The optional brakes are a GOOD upgrade... 14" Brembo 4-pot in front, 11.8 in back, with "updated" programming. The bigger brakes necessitate the 19" wheels, but the added inch of width is welcome (19x9") and nearly as big a wheel as the GT500 (9.5" wide).

So the weight is a bit much, but with "typical track/autocross prep" it should lose 150 lbs or more. The battery is up front and high. The power driver's and big passenger seats have to be porty, and I'm sure headers and a cat back would drop more. The car is too damn quiet anyway - I could barely hear the engine (it must have hundreds of pounds of sound insulation).

The dealer said they'd sell us one at invoice if we special ordered one. We're giving it some thought. Here's the options we might get:
    • Mustang GT Premium ($32,845) with leather, 500W Shaker audio, SYNC system, Sirius Sat radio
    • 6 speed manual (duh!)
    • Rapid Spec 401A interior ($395) gets you some different trim on the seats, doors, pony badges, etc. ...."Its a wife thing"
    • 3.55 ($395) or 3.31 ($0) rear ratio - depending on the tire height (Hoosier 315/30/18 or 335/30/18 = 25.6" tall) and 2nd gear ratios. Shooting for 70 mph in 2nd at 7000 rpm
    • Brembo brake upgrade ($1695) - 14" front 4 piston, 11.8" rear, 19x9" wheels
    • Tape Stripe Delete ($0)
    • Race Red ($0)
    • GT Decklid Trim Panel ($225) - the back looks pretty bland without it
    • Electronics Package. This is one the wife wants and I DO NOT. This $2340 (ouch!) option includes:
      • Voice-Activated Navigation System with integrated SIRIUS® Travel Link™
      • HD Radio
      • Dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control

Total comes to $38,350 and Invoice is about $4K less. Still... do I want to drop over thirty five grand on a 3600 pound Mustang??? Hmm... I gotta give it some thought. It wouldn't even be raced much until 2011, due to the many projects we have going on, so I might wait until Fall to order it. That way I can see how people like the new engine (dyno charts, anyone?), brakes, and how they do on track.

Kent's ESP prepped 2005 GT has ASTs, VoMo plates, 18x10.5" Enkeis, and now 315mm Hoosiers under stock fenders

I suspect they'll be a popular FStock option for 2011, as they are a good bit more powerful than the Shelby Mustangs. We'll see. Again, I'd only want to do ESP, so I could put a real suspension under it (ASTs), with good camber plates (Vorshlag), some adjustable Eibach bars, and then do NASA Time Trial with it as well. We sure have the best ESP competition (Madderash) here in DFW to gauge against.

We'll see...
    Last edited by Fair!; 06-07-2010, 04:01 PM.
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Re: 2011 Mustang GT - first drive

Just a quick update to the post I made above about the 2011 GT 6-spd...

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2...g_GT_Specs.pdf

Standard 6-speed manual
    Gear / ratio
    1st / 3.66
    2nd / 2.43
    3rd / 1.69
    4th / 1.32
    5th / 1.00
    6th / 0.65
    Final drive 3.31:1
    • So with a 315/30/18 Hoosier (25.6" tall), 2nd gear (2.43), stock rear ratio (3.31) and 7000 rpm = 66 mph
    • Same as above but push the stock motor to 7500 rpm = 71 mph.

So it seems for autocrossers that 3.31 ratio is the way to go.
    Last edited by Faerus; 06-07-2010, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Inside Line Dyno Tests the 2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0
      -Sean Martin
      2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

I think Ford has hit a home run with this one. I thought I heard the track pack one is faster around VIR than an E92 M3?

Groner can get an auction '05/'06 for less than $10k. Seems like adding suspension, a supercharger and brakes you've got something fun, but not a new car for ESP of course.
        Brian Hanchey
        AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Reposting from my corner carvers posts...

Originally posted by Thinkkker
          ...thought I would add a little here. My car, the one above weighed in at 3360 in race trim, that is a 1/4 tank, stock 17's with 275 hoosiers, and the spare tire and such removed. So they really added 275ish pounds to the car, but 100hp. Not too shabby.

With all the ESP additions to the car, the last weight that I got was 3300. The seats not being changed....at all it seems between the years. I would guess that the weight change could be near the same till you get the flywheel/clutch and other bits done.

In reality though, the car is not too bad. Heavy yes, but it seems much lighter than the other options in the class.

I am still crossing my fingers that 05+ are on the same line still. I know some good rates for springs too .
          Thanks for the data on your 06 GT, Kent. Post up a pic with the bigger Hoosiers, if you have one? The pic I posted above just has the little 285s.

Still can't get over the mammoth size of the mod motor compared to the OHV V8s (like the Windsor or the LS1). That picture Scheier, Sen-Roy, Koenig and I took at HP back in 1999 is still an eye opener. DOHC V8s sure are not space efficient!

Left: Kent's car on 285s. Right: 5.0 dyno chart from Edmunds.

Originally posted by nucci
          You really have to think twice about a car when your favorite 285/30-18 tires aren't enough for either end.
          Hehe... yea, its a big car, and requires big tires. The 285s seem a tad bit small on the S197, but it looks so right with 315s (we used to race 4th gen F-Bodies with 315s at all four corners 10-12 years ago, so its nothing too new). Its downright laughable that the stock tire size for the GT is a 235mm, and the upgraded size is a 255mm. They should have 275s, at least. I think the GT500 reserves those for their own, even more bloated weight use.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...ang-gt-50.html

Redwood sent me a good article with 5.0 dyno tests for the new 5.0, above. 395 whp @ 6600 rpm is damn good. It seems Ford is under rating them a bit? Imagine what they'd make with Street Prepared legal mods... full length headers, no cats, unlimited intake, unlimited EFI, more revs.

Hmm. Interesting.
          Last edited by Fair!; 06-07-2010, 06:08 PM.

Comment

S197 on 315's

I am still waiting to see the 05-11 on the same line for ESP.....
            '06 Mustang GT
            VTPP!!!

Comment

Working...
            X