Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E36 LS1 swap kit..

http://www.v3auto.com/

Looks like sombody else is working on a kit..

And they have a hu$$y model!

http://www.v3auto.com/news.html
    Brian Hanchey
    AST Suspension - USA

Comment

So that's about $8700 for the kit. Seems a little high considering all the "extras" they offer that aren't included.

Comment

They haven't shown a single picture either. Didn't we find this a year ago and we still haven't seen a picture? Granted, they have a running car, but why wouldn't you show it off? The M344 goofballs have pictures of a/c registers on their hood, give us something!!
        Brian Hanchey
        AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Fair, you need a hu$$y too. Well, a working car might be in order first.
          -Sean Martin
          2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

The "V3 Motorsports" car is old news; been around about a year. Their "$10,000" kit is now down to $8700, eh? Still, their flashy website has NO PICTURES and very few details on what comes in the kit. Lots of secrets; I think it's all smoke and mirrors.

Originally posted by Redwood
            Fair, you need a hu$$y too. Well, a working car might be in order first.
            Oh hell yea. When/if we ever see a running "Vorshlag" LS1 E36, I'll have that ///M baby T-shirt made for Susan, throw money at her, and snap some pics of her+the car!!!

Hehehe... been working on the E36 this week, too. Now that the 540 "money pit" repair whore is gone, I'll have tome and $$ to burn on the E36 LS1. If we sell the C6, d***, a lot more free cash will be available every month...
            Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
            2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
            EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Their FAQ is kind of interesting:

How does this conversion effect the weight of the E36?

The overall weight is reduced slightly, the center of gravity is lowered and moved closer to the center of the car. The weight balance is improved and very close to 50/50 (depending upon the suspension componenets installed). Coil-overs allow this to be achieved with minimal corner balancing.

How does the conversion fit? Are maintenance parts easily accessible?

Every effort was extended to ensure that not only did the conversion fit with only minor modifications, but that all service items would be easily reached. Cylinder heads and camshaft removal can be handled with the engine in the car. This is an extremely tight fit, many revisions were required to ensure everything fit precisely.

Can I purchase key components from the kit?

No, the conversion is sold as a complete package only, if you are building a track only car we can modify some of the parts to your requirements. For example, the engine/transmission polyurethane mounts can be made stiffer and the headers can be adjusted for tube size, collector dimensions and outlet diameter/taper.

How does the wiring from the GM computer integrate into the BMW chassis harness?

The wiring harness is a combination of the factory BMW engine harness and the GM PCM engine harness. All gauges work as stock, with the fuel mileage meter converted into an engine oil pressure gauge. The cruise control, HVAC(Heating, vent & A/C) remains uneffected. The conversion harness is plug & play and removes with the engine just like the stock BMW. It retains the factory BMW harness housing, chassis plug and diagnostic port.

What if I want to build an engine up, do I need to change to a stand alone engine management system?

No, not at all, the GM aftermarket has several PCM editing software packages. These are extremely powerful engine management computers, most every conceivable modification can be handled with the factory PCM. These packages can be purchased for around the same price as a BMW aftermarket chip or OBD-II Flasher.

How does this power plant feel in the E36?

One word 'Amazing' these cars should have come with a V8 from the factory. To get an idea of what the power feels like, go down to your local Chevy dealer and take a Corvette C5 Z06 or C6 for a test drive. Imagine that performance in your BMW, then try to stop smiling...

How does the rear end hold up to the V8?

While we have not performed any stress tests, we feel based on the components in an E36 M3 rear subframe, differential and halfshafts that it shouldn't be an issue unless extensive drag racing on big sticky tires is in the cards. There are some modifications recommended to the rear subframe, as well as a 'Torque Pad' front differential mounting bolt protector which is available.

The 318i/s and 320i rear subframes should not be considered. The 325i/s is the bare minimum for a near stock LS1 conversion and the North American M3 assembly should be considered the recommended minimum. Our test car spent a fair number of hard kilometers with a 325i LSD rear end installed without issue.

How come there are very few pictures on your website?

Our pictures are mostly pre-production, we are currently building two more conversion cars, a '94 sedan and a '93 coupe, the latter was until recently powered by a Euro M3 S50B32 powerplant. These two conversions will be built from production parts to QA the package prior to release. Complete package pictures will be posted as soon as possible.

Your expecting a deposit without seeing the final product?

That is correct, it is fairly obvious from our test car's engine bay pictures that the conversion is very tidy and well layed out. Once the package pictures are posted you will have an opportunity to cancel your order and receive a prompt deposit refund if those parts do not exceed your expectations, no questions asked.

Is this all the forum is?

No, the rest of our forum is customer only sections which contain much more detailed information regarding the conversion from chassis setup through to PCM programming as well as installation help and tips.
              McCall

Comment

Originally posted by McCall
                Their FAQ is kind of interesting:

The 318i/s and 320i rear subframes should not be considered.The 325i/s is the bare minimum for a near stock LS1 conversion and the North American M3 assembly should be considered the recommended minimum. Our test car spent a fair number of hard kilometers with a 325i LSD rear end installed without issue.
                Fair??
                -Sean Martin
                2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood
                  Fair??
                  Actually, this is the part that most interests me:

"How does the wiring from the GM computer integrate into the BMW chassis harness?

The wiring harness is a combination of the factory BMW engine harness and the GM PCM engine harness. All gauges work as stock, with the fuel mileage meter converted into an engine oil pressure gauge. The cruise control, HVAC(Heating, vent & A/C) remains uneffected. The conversion harness is plug & play and removes with the engine just like the stock BMW. It retains the factory BMW harness housing, chassis plug and diagnostic port. "

I wonder if that means we won't need a Painless Wiring-type kit??
                  McCall

Comment

Originally posted by McCall
                    Actually, this is the part that most interests me:

"How does the wiring from the GM computer integrate into the BMW chassis harness?

The wiring harness is a combination of the factory BMW engine harness and the GM PCM engine harness. All gauges work as stock, with the fuel mileage meter converted into an engine oil pressure gauge. The cruise control, HVAC(Heating, vent & A/C) remains uneffected. The conversion harness is plug & play and removes with the engine just like the stock BMW. It retains the factory BMW harness housing, chassis plug and diagnostic port. "

I wonder if that means we won't need a Painless Wiring-type kit??
                    Sure, this can be done, but it's a buttload of work, and invloves using old/factory harnesses from junkyard fbody. Junkyard harnesses can cost as much as a new painless harness, and junkyard harnesses can have shorts and might need to be lengthened/shortened. Painless harness can be ordered in custom lengths, and have readily marked wires for each circuit. Easier.
                    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
                    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
                    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Working...
                    X