Eagles Canyon Toy Run - ECR, December 12 & 13

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagles Canyon Toy Run - ECR, December 12 & 13

FYI, if you didn't get your fill at ECR yesterday with AST, Eagles Canyon is bringing back last years Toy Run event. Details:

From the Eagles Canyon website:

Sat, Dec 12th - Sun, Dec 13th

ECR Toy Run

Event Hours: 00:09:00 to 00:17:00

Come and join us for our 2nd ECR Toy Run. This years event will be open to cars and bikes. Cost is $50 per day. We would also like to ask that each participate bring 2 can goods which will be donated to several area food banks. Any new and unwrapped toys will be greatly appreciated. All proceeds will go to help many needy families. Last year we were able to put a smile on many young childrens faces Christmas morning and we are hoping to do the same this year. So come on out and join us! Tracking experience is a must. You can contact Maggie at 817-992-9774 or email at mwilliams@eaglescanyon.com to register.
    Hope to see you at the track!
    Iain

'01 Honda S2000 - extra crispy
    '05 Honda CR-V EX AWD - alphabet soup family truckster
    Always looking for a co-drive...

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Re: Eagles Canyon Toy Run - ECR, December 12 & 13

Oh hell yes... I should actually have the 330 put together by then. Sweet!
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

So...

It's from 9 minutes past midnight to 17 minutes past midnight?

8 minutes of track time for 50$? Sounds like an autocross to me....

Costas
      cars and such...

Comment

Originally posted by altiain View Post
        FYI, if you didn't get your fill at ECR yesterday with AST, Eagles Canyon is bringing back last years Toy Run event. Details:

Hope to see you at the track!
        Iain,

Do you know the format for this event? Is it a normal "full speed" HPDE with run groups, multiple sessions, and is there an idea of how many sessions you get per day?

We're prepping 2 maybe 3 cars for this event and want to see what's going on.

Comment

So what's the chosen day...Saturday or Sunday? Any word on the format?

Comment

I'd prefer to go on Saturday. Amy, Matt and I are all 3 going to enter. I didn't go last year so I am not at all sure how this "Toy" event works.

Originally posted by DBeck View Post
            So what's the chosen day...Saturday or Sunday? Any word on the format?
            I just called Maggie to ask about the format and when she calls back I'll post up what I find out.
            Last edited by Fair!; 12-04-2009, 02:26 PM.

Comment

I think I'd be in for this. That was a lot of fun...

Comment

OK, I just talked to Maggie @ ECR and here's a more detailed update.

==================

Gates open at 7:30 AM both days. Mandatory Driver's Meeting at 8:30 AM.

People attending are encouraged to have some track or auto-x experience. If you have never run at ECR they will have some lead-follow laps to get you familiar with the track and even instructors, if you want one. Steve Watkins will be splitting up the driver groups and managing the Instructors.

There will be groups of motorcycles and cars. They have 40 bikes already (members) so they will have 2 bike groups, and maybe as many or more groups for cars. You will likely run several times during the day, but it really depends on how many cars/groups they have. Everything shuts down at 5 PM. I'd assume 4 sessions at 20/min each, but it could be a lot more than that.

Cost is $50 per day, per driver + 2 canned goods for donation. This is very low cost for a day at any road course in the country, and ECR is a NICE facility that is a BLAST to drive. If you can bring an unwrapped Toy that would be great, too. No specifics on toy cost. Pay for the event at the event site - you can pay at the table in the Clubhouse.

If you are interested in attending please contact Maggie by phone or email: 817-992-9774 or mwilliams@eaglescanyon.com

==================

Eagles Canyon Raceway
                7629 North FM-51
                Decatur, Tx 76234

Directions: The track is north of Denton off of I-35, but there are several ways to get from I-35 to the track. I've gotten there 4 different ways in the past, and some are a lot better than others. DO NOT TRUST GOOGLE MAPS, as there is a LOT of road construction going on in the county (as of this week) and the address doesn't "map" all that well. There are bridges are out, highways are down to one lane and sometimes unpaved, and more - and none of this shown in the Google map routes. Its simply FUBAR if you follow their map - ask me how I know???

OK, so this route WORKS, is the straightest shot from the Interstate, avoids going through the BFE city of Krum, and its various turns and stop signs:
                • Take I-35E north toward Denton.
                • Stay right at the 183/35 split to stay on I-35E.
                • Follow I-35 North through Lewisville and Denton.
                • After passing Loop 288 on the north side of Denton, Look for EXIT 478, Chapman Dr. This is also FM 455.
                • Take Chapman/FM 455 west towards Slidell. Its about 15 miles to the track from the Interstate.
                • After Slidell on FM 455, watch for FM 51 (there's a stop sign), and turn left (south) on FM-51.
                • The track entrance is 1/4 mile down on the right.

There is a Diamond Shamrock (?) gas station in Slidell, on the left just before a 4 way stop sign, and that's where I fill up and eat. Its about 8 miles from the track and the closest/best "restaurant" and gas station in the area (they grill good and greasy hamburgers, french fries, etc). They might have food at the track that day, but I forgot to ask.

Amy, Matt and I are going to run out there on Saturday only.

===================

Prep tips: ECR is very brake intensive, but the top speeds are fairly low at 110-115 mph on the main straight (between turns 6 & 7). Check your rotors & pads and make sure your fluid is fresh and up to spec. The runoff areas are (now) smooth and well groomed, and there's not many places where you can off that will cause any issues. I've tested a few spots myself. There are a few bumpy sections, but its relatively smooth track. There is some sub-soil movement that's giving them fits and they keep repaving certain sections.

The elevation changes are bigger than at MSR, MSR-H or TWS - the "canyon" portion cuts through the track in 2 spots. Its an easy track to learn and if you can get down to 2 min/lap, you are moving around pretty darn quick.

Comment

Whoops - thanks for posting the details, Terry. I've been sick the last couple of days.

I'll be out there instructing on Saturday, so I'll see you guys there.

BTW, if you're covering the track in 2 minutes flat, you're really moving. Most lower-powered cars are going to be in the 2:05-2:15 range. Because of the long straights, horsepower makes a huge difference in lap times at ECR, unlike Harris Hill or MSR or Hallett.

See you guys at the track!
                  Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

OK guys and gals, I just talked to some of the organizers again and got some more clarifications for this event. Wayne Atkins (local ST autocrosser who kinda helped develop the ECR track layout) is going to be instructing this weekend (first time on track for his Civic). Wayne has been in contact with Steve Watkins, who's the chief instructor for the day, and Steve's been in contact with the track owners today about this upcoming event.

This Toy Run is "not a normal race day or race practice", its an open invitation to almost anyone that wants to run on the track and a way to get both food and toy donations for the holidays. So there could be some total noobs there. So...

In the morning there will be a driver's meeting - everyone should be there. During this meeting I believe they will get a count of the total newbies, the track drivers that have never run at ECR, the ECR experienced track drivers, and racers with comp licenses. Then they will have an initial "lead-follow" session for the folks that have never run at ECR and hopefully add a run group or groups to have normal HPDE type sessions.

Only 40 people are signed up so far, so this is good. There can't be that many noobs, which gives the rest of us plenty of time during the day to have a real HPDE group.

Just know that its not your normal HPDE event, and be prepared to wait a little bit in the morning before we can get out on track without adult supervision.

Comment

Terry - will you be safe without adult supervision?

Here's an excerpt from an instructor email Steve Watkins sent out earlier today:

After reviewing the participant list we are going to run two car groups, one for the first time participants, those that have never driven ECR and a group for those that have experience at ECR. We will start the day off with lead follow for the first time drivers then move to those with experience using both lead follow and in car instruction for those that request. Bikes will run next in the rotation and sessions will be 20 minutes for all groups. We will not allow any passengers in guest cars other than instructors and we have moved the first instructor session prior to lunch.
                      I talked to Maggie earlier today and the current car count stands at:

Saturday - 47 cars
                      Sunday - 60 cars (Sunday is full)

I was originally going to go on Saturday, but the pig flu owned me this week, so I moved to Sunday to give my body another day to rest. Y'all have fun out there!
                      Iain

Comment

OK so who is going tomorrow? I'm in and plan to get there around 8:00am.

Comment

Amy, Matt and I are in...

Comment

Just spoke to Mark W. and he plans to be there also.

Comment

This was such a fun event. I had a blast! The last session in the afternoon I had to myself. I think I need to bleed the brakes again since it is mushy now and half of my pads.

Comment

Working...
                              X