Unread 08-03-2007, 08:31 AM
Mega Poster

Default Re: 2007 Subaru WRX STI

OK, my kidneys could not wait till after Nationals so I'm trying an alternate setup. We corded the inner 3/4ths of the fronts so that says to me we have too much camber and/or too much spring rate. Since the fronts are at 680 lb/in (and pretty brutal), I went down to 630. Not a huge change.

Since we put the bigger bar on the back, I went down from 513 to 400 lb/in in the rear. This was a HUGE change in ride comfort. It is still firm, but it is definitely driveable now. You don't even have to be crazy to drive it. Is it a Cadillac? No. Autocross is Sunday so we'll see what happens. Naturally this will be finalized at our August 25th practice at Mineral Wells. We'll do full pyrometer/skidpad testing and get a good feel for where the car is at.

BTW, at that practice there should be our M3, 2 STIs, an Evo......AND.....our STU prepped E46 M3! Suspension goes on next week along with 18x10 265s. We'll do full DL-1 testing on all the cars on the same course. Should be some good info.
Unread 08-09-2007, 01:12 AM
Mega Poster

Default Re: 2007 Subaru WRX STI

Autocross on Sunday wasn't so great. First off we didn't plan on hosing down tires. The Bridgestones pulled 1.2g then 1.08g by the last run in the 100 degree heat. We made a mistake and didn't shave them either. That will be fixed this week though.

The car had a bad push on corner exit which is where it shines. Probably part of this has to do with the tires, but it was doing it with the factory tires too. I went ahead and put 80s on the rear instead of 70s. That's 450 lb/in AND I revalved the compression in the rear tonight. No dyno results yet, but it is definitely more firm. The idea was to get more weight transferred to the rear on corner exit. Car didn't hop or skip on some of our torture test roads.

Fair and I did the test loop a few times. It was uneventful in a good way. The car just pulls hard out of corners and steers where you tell it. Perhaps we fixed it or atleast it is better than before.