Unread 05-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Mega Poster

Default Re: 2007 Subaru WRX STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood
Did the revalve take place before the autocross or after?
Once before the Saturday event and once after it.
Unread 05-09-2007, 10:18 AM
I blame the internet

some pics from event #2 for Brian (1st place out of 10, 7th overall in PAX) in this car:

more: http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/gallery/2818319#P-1-15
Unread 06-22-2007, 08:36 AM
Mega Poster

Allrighty, midnight last night. We picked up the Subaru from what is now called "the southern location". We whipped up a "cat back" altho it is more of a "cat b" since it doesn't go all the way back. Basically it is a 3" made of SS 304 with a 45 degree bend terminating at the passenger side rear door. The goal was to build something that helped with the turbo spooling up. It definitely helped over the stock exhaust. It is definitely "race only" though. Harley loud. I did a couple of 2nd gear and "flat foot" turns this morning. Definitely comes on boost sooner. Coming back, Fair was in front of me in the truck and I stomped on it and almost hit him it spooled up so much faster.

Still needs tuning though. It even clears speed bumps. I'll post pictures here.

BTW, the stock cat back weighs 35 pounds. Not sure what the new one weighs yet, but there's not much to it.

Next things to fix:
-brakes
-rear sway bar
-tuning
Unread 06-22-2007, 08:43 AM
I blame the internet

When Brian left at ~1:30 last night I think he woke every man, woman, child, dog, and cow in Faireview, TX.

Its defnitely not stealth! But it pulls like a freight train now.
Unread 06-25-2007, 08:19 AM
Mega Poster

While the Fairs were representin' at the Divisional, I did some work on the STI.

Weekend update.
  • Beta testing a "special sauce" map from a tuner. I received it Friday afternoon. Not sure if they want it known yet. Seems to have fixed most of my complaints about throttle response and low end torque. No more surge at 4k rpm. The power is very linear and builds from 3000 rpm in all gears.
  • Added Cobb rear sway bar. Can't tell if this did much till we go run it. Thinking about a mid week trip to Mineral Wells before the BMW event at LaGrave, similar surface to Topeka.
  • Added Ferodo DS2500 series pads, ATE Blue fluid and Goodridge SS brake lines. HUGE difference here. I think the brakes are now race ready.
  • Added stock exhaust back on. The Fairs dropped it off last night around 9:30. I think it took me 30 minutes or less to swap them out. My hearing is recovering. I have to say, driving around with the open pipe all weekend was quite fun. The exhaust burbles and pops on the overrun btwn shifts and deceleration. I found myself downshifting through each gear just to hear it. People will definitely know when you're on or off the gas.
Unread 06-25-2007, 08:29 AM
I blame the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancheyb
Added Ferodo DS2500 series pads, ATE Blue fluid and Goodridge SS brake lines. HUGE difference here. I think the brakes are now race ready.

Mr. Frodo!

Hope this helps the mushy pedal. The exhaust definitely picked up some oomph! Maybe with the bigger rear bar the rear spring rate can drop to reduce ride harshness.
Unread 06-25-2007, 08:33 AM
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair!
Maybe with the bigger rear bar the rear spring rate can drop to reduce ride harshness.
Actually the ride is almost liveable. I've decreased rebound signifcantly in the rear and it feels VERRR REE niiice. I think we can go down slightly with it and it will ride like a Cadillac.
Unread 06-25-2007, 08:43 AM
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancheyb
While the Fairs were representin' at the Divisional, I did some work on the STI.

Weekend update.
  • Beta testing a "special sauce" map from a tuner. I received it Friday afternoon. Not sure if they want it known yet. Seems to have fixed most of my complaints about throttle response and low end torque. No more surge at 4k rpm. The power is very linear and builds from 3000 rpm in all gears.
  • Added Cobb rear sway bar. Can't tell if this did much till we go run it. Thinking about a mid week trip to Mineral Wells before the BMW event at LaGrave, similar surface to Topeka.
  • Added Ferodo DS2500 series pads, ATE Blue fluid and Goodridge SS brake lines. HUGE difference here. I think the brakes are now race ready.
  • Added stock exhaust back on. The Fairs dropped it off last night around 9:30. I think it took me 30 minutes or less to swap them out. My hearing is recovering. I have to say, driving around with the open pipe all weekend was quite fun. The exhaust burbles and pops on the overrun btwn shifts and deceleration. I found myself downshifting through each gear just to hear it. People will definitely know when you're on or off the gas.
Sounds like your car is just about done. =)

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
- Dr. Clarkson
Unread 06-27-2007, 10:58 PM
Mega Poster

Send a message via ICQ to Tommy R

I think one of you STi drivers needs a tire b!tch for one of the upcoming divisionals. *whistles innocently*

BMW E36 DIY's:
Front LCA Bushing Swap
E36 Custom Cat Back
M3 Limited Slip Diff Repair
Diff Swap
Unread 07-25-2007, 11:36 AM
Mega Poster

Allrighty. We installed the prototype Vorshlag FRONT camber plates last night. Rattle and squeak free (of course) . We got about 2.2 degrees of adjustment out of the current slots. We could go more, but might move the strut mounting back for more caster instead. It lowered the car about 1/2" from the AST plates that were on it due to our extreme attention to stack up.

With the car lowered it ranged from 2.2* to 4.4* on one side and a little less on the other most likely because I didn't pay close enough attention to the eccentric on the strut. The other side was in the -1.5* range in the least setting (very streetable). We adjusted both sides to -2.2* and set the toe to about 1/4" in for street use. That will give some toe out at full camber, probably too much but we can adjust it at the track.

Production run will begin shortly!

The rears have been fine since installation. We have about ~7k miles on them. Since they use proven BMW pieces (plus adjustments for Subaru struts), we're pretty happy with them "as is".

Fair and Amy drove it a few weekends ago. The rear Cobb bar helped cure some low speed understeer, but with a few runs they didn't try to dial out the oversteer experienced in the slaloms. I'm confident turning down the rear struts can fix that. Looking for a day during the week to go rent Mineral Wells for some skidpad and course work.