Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To go STU or not (2006 Mustang GT)

Really a couple of questions.

The Mustang will either be a ST or SP car very soon. As it stands this is what I am looking at.

I have some seats to put in which may or may not need to have balast for ST. I need to get some manual seat adjusters out of a junk yard to use. *if you see any out there, let me know* After I get that, I can see where I stand.

I cannot tell from the ST ruleset, but I would ASSume that I can swap in 3.73's. They are on the Bullitts so if nothing else, it should be a option swap correct? Then a LSD, and a engine tune.

This is what I think will be doable this year. I know its not the optimal, but as far as tires to run, how would all of it lay out if I DD on the set? I would have a new set for Nats that would be shaved of course. Just want a opinion on how this could be good or bad as a test bed for getting the car ready for nats. Next question, the debate of the tire????

Any LSD is allowed. I would be more than happy to pay for something that will stay together, any thoughts? Still in the infancy on this search.

18X10's the largest wheel to hit the track with the 285's out there? Or try for the nutso award and get some 10.5 wide or something? This is something I talked to Hanchey about earlier and will have to be measured to make sure of fitment.

Have I upheld my position of insane and idiotic ideas?
    '06 Mustang GT
    VTPP!!!

Re: To go STU or not

Originally posted by Thinkkker
    I cannot tell from the ST ruleset, but I would ASSume that I can swap in 3.73's. They are on the Bullitts so if nothing else, it should be a option swap correct?
    Nope. No updates, backdates, gear swaps, etc. You bought the car, you runs it as it is

Comment

Originally posted by John in Houston
      Nope. No updates, backdates, gear swaps, etc. You bought the car, you runs it as it is
      DANGIT! The tune should help though at least.
      '06 Mustang GT
      VTPP!!!

Comment

The fact that the Mustang is so fast in F stock gives me hope it would be fast in ST trim. Only one way to find out! Now that Nationals is on concrete, a Mustang with 285s? Oh, hell yeah. It's ON.
        Brian Hanchey
        AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
          Oh, hell yeah. It's ON.
          I was thinking the same thing. Kevin Youngers disagrees with me*, but I think you can fix 99% of the Mustang's FS issues with more camber, better spring rates and dampers and wider wheels / tires.

If I had one, I'd sure as heck try it in STU.

*He states the car is too heavy and too wide to compete with the M3 and Boosties.
          Last edited by John in Houston; 11-12-2008, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by John in Houston
            I was thinking the same thing. Kevin Youngers disagrees with me*, but I think you can fix 99% of the Mustang's FS issues with more camber, better spring rates and dampers and wider wheels / tires.

If I had one, I'd sure as heck try it in STU.

*He states the car is too heavy and too wide to compete with the M3 and Boosties.
            This from the guy that tried a M5 in F stock.
            Brian Hanchey
            AST Suspension - USA

Comment

I think this is a kickass idea! Here's what I'd build, in order of importance:
              • AST / Vorshlag suspension, of course.
              • 18x10 or 18x10.5" wheels, probably CCW unless someone makes a light 1-piece 18x10 that fits.
              • 285 Yokohama AD07s... or the new AD08s?
              • Two lightweight seats with Sparco dual locking slider on driver's side
              • Torson T2R differential
              • Lightweight battery in stock location
              • Cold air intake
              • Aftermarket headers, custom lightweight exhaust with two cats.
              • Have the car dyno tuned with higher RPM, maybe some air:fuel and spark tweaks
              • Aero wouldn't hurt, but isn't critical
              • A lightweight big brake kit could be a benefit, if the balance isn't negatively affected
              • You're allowed alternate rear control arms - any weight savings to be had there? Doubtful.

I've been waiting for someone to try STU in a Mustang. I almost had Amy convinced we needed to try it.

Funny thing is - you can stick with a 9" wheel and 265mm tire and run it in STX....
              Last edited by Fair!; 11-12-2008, 11:33 AM.
              Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
              2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
              EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
                This from the guy that tried a M5 in F stock.
                Exactly. I think he was gonna punch me when I brought that up

Comment

Re: To go STU or not (2006 Mustang GT)

Oh I have thought about STX to.

Everything you have listed there Terry is everything I have pretty much planned for this year. Minus the headers, and the exhaust. The stock exhaust does only have 2 cats from the factory, so its not overtly overweight........

I need to find sliders for the seats, because they are light.

As a in everyone's opinions, will DD on the "race" tires hurt the learning curve in the car? I may look at doing this.
                  '06 Mustang GT
                  VTPP!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkkker
                    As a in everyone's opinions, will DD on the "race" tires hurt the learning curve in the car? I may look at doing this.
                    Hmm.... I'd avoid DD on an ST tire if you want them to stay their freshest and fastest for longer. The miles isn't the hindrance, its the added heat cycles. Its OK to drive to an event on them, but the daily hot-cold-hot-cold cycles are what age them prematurely.

Then again we've tested on some well "aged" Yokohamas and they were damn near as good as fresh ones. Maybe Hanchey can remember the numbers? The borrowed Paul set we tested with at MW... Its a fact that heat cycles do age these tires more quickly, but I guess its debatable by how much.

A more important factor for street use is shaving - we tend to shave our competitive set of ST tires to 4-5/32" and that makes them less than ideal for heavy rain street use. Most street tires come with 8-11/32" when new and the deep water channeling/hydroplaning use worsens as the tread gets shorter.

Can't you just re-use your stock wheels for daily use, then swap the ST wheels/tires on and drive to the track on race day?

Comment

I'd drive on my tires I think. Maybe you just plan on buying new sets more often and shaved ones for Nationals?

I think the Mustang will need the 285 vs. STX.
                      Brian Hanchey
                      AST Suspension - USA

Comment

I can reuse the stock wheels and tires. Guess I should sell a set of 295-18-Hoosiers. Know any interest?

I should still have thread left on the streets for a bit on the car. It falls down to how I want to manage the monetary funds. Thats just where that question comes from. Like I said. I run STU, Ill have the right tires for Nationals.

It could possibly get some Beach Mobility Factor +++ Points in STX with teh uber 1337 drifting. Sorry couldn't resist.
                        '06 Mustang GT
                        VTPP!!!

Comment

How much does the car weigh currently?

I tend to agree with Youngers... That is a BIG car.

FS's PAX is softer than STU... FWIW. Maybe on a Feldpusch 'Corvette' dragstrip course it could be competitive with the extra power, but I have a hard time believing that it will be enough to catch the turbo-awds.
                          Chris
                          97 M3/4 - STU
                          06 Evo - SM
                          00 S2000 - STR

Comment

OK, I had this typed up and lost it.

Car weighed in with stock wheels and 275's at 3365.
                            Wheel weights = 25 a piece
                            Tire weights = 25 a piece

CCW should be near 21 a piece and the 285 Yoko's are listed at 28 a piece
                            So this is near a wash *4 pounds in the negative overall if my math works*

Battery I would guess could be dropped down by around 22 pounds? This is best guess and I cannot find the super small battery weight. I know that my battery now is min. 33#'s

Seats.....This is tough. I have not been able to find the stock seat weights. I have a non-airbag seat so they are not the very heavy seats. Though I would guess that with the tracks and everything at least 40 pounds of weight are there, and probably more. The seats I have I got from a BSP STi and they are Carbon Fiber knockoff's *good deal and shipping weight was 14 pounds a seat with the side mounts*. I would need a track and if I get it in at the 25# minimum thats a savings a 30 overall from the stock setup if it is truly 40#'s.

The AST Suspension should drop weight on the car, but I am not sure how much this would go down.

Air intake? maybe lose 5#'s from this? It will depend on which I go with, but it is narrowed to one of two. I do not know the stock intake weights on the car.

The stock exhaust does only contain 2 cats from the factory. Mandrel bent 2.5 on the way back. I have the SLP loudmouths on the car *no real muffler, just a "tip"*. I also have a local shop built x-pipe. I know that Kooks shows the combo of their longtubes and catted x-pipe as being 50#'s. I have no idea what this would drop from the stock manifolds.

From the research I did, these are the numbers that I can come up with. I think they should be fairly close. Lights can be changed I think, so a couple pounds maybe if you researched that. I need to comb over the rules some more. I would say that 3250 is very reachable.

On the power front. If this is accurate *YEAH INTERNET DYNO!!!!*

The "stock" is supposedly close to what my car would be planned to have for this year. The modified plot is a shorty header. I am curious what the difference would be for a Longtube. *Yes a longtube dyno is on their site, and it was supposedly done on a true stock car. So the numbers are near identical to this one.* As bad as it is, I think best hope is a stock LS1 power levels. Albeight it with better gearing.

So, does this add anything to the pot? New thoughts? I know that FS can run right with the boost buggies straight up. Question is, on big streets with modded suspension will it still hold with them?
                            Last edited by Thinkkker; 11-13-2008, 09:54 AM.
                            '06 Mustang GT
                            VTPP!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
                              How much does the car weigh currently?

I tend to agree with Youngers... That is a BIG car.

FS's PAX is softer than STU... FWIW. Maybe on a Feldpusch 'Corvette' dragstrip course it could be competitive with the extra power, but I have a hard time believing that it will be enough to catch the turbo-awds.
                              Well its more in line with the E46 M3, weight-wise. EDIT: wow, only 3365 pounds? That's about the same as an E46 M3! ...a prepped Mustang should have considerably more torque at most engine speeds. It can, like the M3, also fit the max width 285s, and possibly on even larger than 10" wheels...

Will it catch the boost buggies? Who knows. That's the rub - nobody has ever tried any of these newer, bigger RWD cars that can actually fit the 285s in STU. Nobody thought the 2005+ Mustang would be as fast as the LS1 powered Camaros in FStock either, yet they now dominate (with less power). It'll be fun to see how it works out, either way.

2005 Mustang has a shot in FS, STU, STX and ESP

And if STU in the Mustang is a bust, he can still run STX (on a 9" wheel and 265mm tire) or ESP (on the 18x10s and R compounds - and very few other changes). Heck, he could run it in FS again, where he held down 2nd place on Day 1 at Nats this year! Lots of class choices for this car, yet the Mustang is vastly less expensive than the E46 M3, which has fewer competitive classes to choose from.
                              Last edited by Fair!; 11-13-2008, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X