Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: E36 Project - Sunroof weight?

never seen this before:

HIDGolf, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
    02 Golf TDI 306,000 miles

Comment

Originally posted by HIDGolf
      never seen this before:
      Huh. Well here's the direct link http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=665108
      McCall

Comment

motherofgawd!

Comment

a bit too rich for my blood, but what a beautiful car! I dont think I have seen that color before either.

Comment

http://www.macqc.com/raceplates/newProducts.htm

hmm...

Comment

Originally posted by HIDGolf
              We've talked about doing this for our race car E36... a CF panel for sunroof replacement.

Question: Do you guys think people would be interested in something like this as a product for the E36? A bolt-in replacement kit for the entire sunroof assembly.

I mean, if we do the R&D to make one of these, why not make 10 of them... if it can be made to bolt in without any major hacks.

Thoughts?
              Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
              2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
              EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

You can already find the CF panels on Ebay... not too expensive.

The hard part is building a frame to line up with whatever holes are left when you pull the assembly <and> finding a non-kludge way of sealing the panel (all the ones I've seen look like shit).

If you could find a way to retain the stock felts and bolt it in, you could make a tidy profit.

Comment

Originally posted by John in Houston
                  You can already find the CF panels on Ebay... not too expensive.
                  Yep. Mine is sitting in my living room. Sucker is pretty heavy.. it's "cosmetic' carbon fiber as opposed to lightweight carbon fiber.

Comment

I could care less about it being carbon/aluminum/steel/whathaveyou provided it drops some serious lbs.

A few questions:
                    -would we keep the stock drip tubes? How could one clean these if the fixed panel was installed? This is an annual service for some people that live in woodsy areas.
                    -Could a no sunroof headliner be installed?
                    -If the roof expands due to heat what will the 'plug' do?

I have seen these for Mini's with the full glass roof. europeancar put one in their SEMA Mini tarmac rally car from memory.

Comment

I could care less about it being carbon/aluminum/steel/whathaveyou provided it drops some serious lbs.

A few questions:
                      -would we keep the stock drip tubes? How could one clean these if the fixed panel was installed? This is an annual service for some people that live in woodsy areas.
                      -Could a no sunroof headliner be installed?
                      -If the roof expands due to heat what will the 'plug' do?

I have seen these for Mini's with the full glass roof. europeancar put one in their SEMA Mini tarmac rally car.

The 56-lb factory glass sunroof was removed, and replaced with 3/16-in. thick polycarbonate sheet (Lexan(R) is one tradename). The perimeter was blacked out and white nylon screws (lighter than metal) hold it to aluminum brackets mounted to the factory sunroof attachments. It looks way cool, but 2 days into the work, I thought myself a fool

Comment

Working...
                      X