Vorshlag 1991 BMW 318is

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Vorshlag 1991 BMW 318is

It would be really nice if the 325is E30 was FSP... then I would have something fun to with mine
    Hunter

Ladies and Gentlemen this is your captain speaking. Please put your collars in the upright and POPed position.

Comment

you do realize that the earliest that it would be re-classified into FSP would be the 2011 season, as the deadline has passed for 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianGT View Post
        you do realize that the earliest that it would be re-classified into FSP would be the 2011 season, as the deadline has passed for 2010.
        Understood... he's already resigned to running it in ST for another year, but hopefully we can get some letters going and have it moved to FSP for '11.
        Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
        2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
        EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Just a quick update on the old 318is. Amazingly enough, it's now fully registered and inspected again so it's a 100% legit street car again. Man, it's a fun little car to poke around in

Next step, I plan on installing a new Hushpower HP-2 "shorty" 409S muffler towards the end of the week. I picked the 12" 2.25" diameter, which should work just about perfect for the location basically under the driver's seat.

Right now with the current 14" cylindrical flow-thru Magnaflow, it's just waaaaay too loud. Especially since it is so darn slow, it's just not right for this car to be a loud as it is. At the Mineral Wells Tour earlier this year, it registered right at the 95db limit and on the practice day it even hit 98db one time. Well, hopefully the Hushpower will drop it 4-5db and get it liveable on the street.

If time permits, on Thursday I'll run over to the Vomo shop and Fair & I can run the same sound level test as he did for his M3. I'll then run over to the muffler shop to get the new muffler put on and then will repeat the test. I hope to achieve the same results and will of course post it here.

Besides the muffler and street driving again, the only other change to the car has been the addition of lightweight 15x7.5 Rota Slipstream wheels along with running 225/45-15 tires. I ran the Toyo R1Rs the first part of the year but I have not been impressed so I'm going to switch over to the Hankook RS-3s when I can find a set.
          McCall

Comment

Just a couple of pics from the last few months...

the 7.5" wheels

the weight of the car before the 4-point roll bar was added (+60 lbs)

Comment

Ever since McCall added the stainless header to the E30 its been really loud. I mean, sure, it wasn't quiet before with the 2.25" Magnaflow straight-thru style muffler, Magnaflow OE replacement catalyst, and turndown just at the rear axle, but it was bearable.

Above picture shows the exhaust on the car when we bought it in 2007 (some scabbed together junk)
              and the 16 pound exhaust I built for it using the Magnaflow bits that year

This is a quick pic of the new HP-2 installed, still with a turndown (adding a real tailpipe will knock down more noise)

This year with the header added its been pushing the sound limits at autocross events. McCall has registered/inspected the E30 and is driving it on the street a bit and the exhaust noise level is a bit much. After seeing the results from the Hushpower on my E36 M3 he bought the HP-2. Last week he came by and we did the "before" sound tests with the old Magnaflow 2.25" muffler set-up and the results weren't too surprising. Click the links below to see the videos.

Test equipment:
              • Sound Meter was a Radio Shack 330-2055, "A weighting" set, 30 second sample test, max number posted, 10 feet from the car (which is very close)
              • Video camera is an Aiptek 720P

Sound Test 1: 1st-3rd gears, WOT = 102 dB

Sound Test 2: Cruising at 40 mph = 95 dB

This past Saturday he had the HP-2 409S Hushpower installed in place of the Magnaflow and we did the "after" sound tests. The difference at steady state cruising at 40 mph was a staggering 13 dB drop! (95 to 82 dB) and also a 3 dB drop at Wide Open Throttle (102 to 99 dB).

Sound Test 3: 1st-3rd gears, WOT = 99 dB

Sound Test 4: Cruising at 40 mph = 82 dB

We ran the steady state test twice to re-verify and that 82 dB number is accurate. That's a huge noise drop and very obvious from riding in/driving the car with both mufflers. Driving the car on the street is now a livable experience. You can hear the radio, talk to the other occupant with the windows up, etc. The sound is less "raspy" and it should work wonders at SCCA events, where they test sound at 50-75' instead of the super close range 10' test meter placement we are doing on our "test road".

Cheers,

Comment

how much does the final exhaust weigh, i want to build the same exhaust for my 318is that you guys have on this car now.....

also what size of pipe did you use 2-2.5"?

Comment

Originally posted by dakkon View Post
                  how much does the final exhaust weigh, i want to build the same exhaust for my 318is that you guys have on this car now.....

also what size of pipe did you use 2-2.5"?
                  Used lightweight 18 gauge (non stainless) 2.25" OD pipe and mandrel bends from SPD Exhaust. It weighed... hell, look 2 posts up!

The raw materials weighed 14.2 lbs for the pieces shown above. Add to that the factory Y-pipe we re-used and you get 16.2 lbs, then add the factory header. McCall went back later and added an eBay header (lighter) and a 2nd Hushpower muffler.

http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Projects...49402819_fwzVm = 4 sound tests on this car

Comment

This 1991 BMW E30 318is is once again for sale: http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/for...38/scope/posts

We sold it locally, then it ended up in the hands of my friend Jason McCall for a few years, and he painted the car and fixed a lot of little things on the car. Then he sold it to a gentleman that works at The TireRack, who now has it up for sale at the link above for $5500. The car is well sorted, has some very nice suspension components, and is worth every penny. Located in Fort Bend, Indiana, and that is all I know about the price, seller and location. You can find out a lot about the car in this build thread as well as his ad.

Cheers,

Comment

Well, the ol' 318 is alive and living in Austin. I've had it out to Harris Hill a couple times now and it's a blast.

Sadly, it looks like we lost a head gasket last weekend. The car is currently at Terry Sayther's place right now. Spare a thought that its not terminal.

Brian

Comment

Working...
                      X