97 M3/4/5 running in STU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 97 M3/4/5 running in STU

Thanks for all the advice. Will let you know how she does her first day out. We expect to use the severla slush events to complete shakedown beofre next years BMWCCA and SCCA events.

Once we parked Olivia next to the Z3 last week the Z3's #40 aux fan fuse blew. Going to be a tough year...
    Last edited by 97M3; 10-01-2008, 09:50 AM.

Comment

I've found 34psi to be the happy spot for the Dunlops (with adequate negative camber).

Most of being competitive in this car locally is seat time. I haven't changed much over the last year and am pretty close behind the fast boost buggies locally now... Close as in, some days I can lay down faster times than our de-facto yardstick Russ (who was 5th this year at Nats).

255s are a big step up from the 245s, especially on a 9"+ wheel. The grip difference is immediate and very apparent.

To be really competitive I think you'll want stiffer springs. I'm running 570/625 and will be going stiffer most likely. I like the balance of the car now but there's still a fair amount of body motion.

I'll post more as time permits...
      Chris
      97 M3/4 - STU
      06 Evo - SM
      00 S2000 - STR

Comment

Ran the alignment specs given with Konis set to full stiff, tire pressure 36psi cold all the way around.

Only got out usual three runs but tires heated up to 40/41psi on all 4 corners. A couple of pics taken show alot of sidewall flex... Will increase pressure a couple of lbs this weekend.

Car pushed even with 245s all the way around. Want take a turn out of the front struts.

Any other suggestions?

Comment

I played around a bit with pressures, and settled with 35F / 33R for the Dunlop StarSpec pressures.

Comment

RE: Car still pushes

-What front swaybar? What setting?
            Chris
            97 M3/4 - STU
            06 Evo - SM
            00 S2000 - STR

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
              I've found 34psi to be the happy spot for the Dunlops (with adequate negative camber).
              Even though you went faster at 35f/30r ?

255s are a big step up from the 245s, especially on a 9"+ wheel. The grip difference is immediate and very apparent.
              And how! Not to mention they work great 30 minutes at a time at Pueblo

Comment

I run 640F/720R spring rates, 28mm H&R front bar on full stiff, no rear bar. At 35F/35R, the car didn't rotate enough, and dropping the rears to 33 seemed to do the trick.

I am looking into fabricating a bigger front bar (speedway nascar style), as I love the adjustability of them, being able to swap cores. We have them on our AS S2000 and my STS Civic.

Comment

We still have the stock sway bars on the 97 M3. Want to get through three rounds of Slush series before any more changes are made to the setup. Just concentrating on tire pressures, shocks and alignment.

Comment

And I see "TCK coilovers" but no reference to camber plates. Gotta have camber on BMWs.
                    Brian Hanchey
                    AST Suspension - USA

Comment

They're yours with -3.5 front, -2 rear

Comment

We run more camber and more rear spring. 1/4" toe-in in the rear makes a difference as well.
                        Brian Hanchey
                        AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by John in Houston
                          Even though you went faster at 35f/30r ?
                          I went faster on Dunlops vs. the Bridgestones I was on that day.

I have to say, the car felt good! I think my natural weight advantage made the difference!
                          Chris
                          97 M3/4 - STU
                          06 Evo - SM
                          00 S2000 - STR

Comment

I have to say, the car felt good! I think my natural weight advantage made the difference!
                            OUCH! Oh, you bastard!

I'm gonna get Redwood to ride with you!

Comment

I went faster on Dunlops vs. the Bridgestones I was on that day.

We need to feed that boy some Texas steak!
                              Brian Hanchey
                              AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
                                We need to feed that boy some Texas steak!
                                I think I weighed that much..... when I was a fetus!

Comment

Working...
                                X