2003 Bmw E46 M3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2003 Bmw E46 M3

is it running STU presently? any thought to outfitting 285s if the august fastrack STU proposals go through?

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
      I give this car the best "all around" car on the planet award. It is so nice. I want one bad.

I would agree... but then again I bought one already
      Hunter

Ladies and Gentlemen this is your captain speaking. Please put your collars in the upright and POPed position.

Comment

Originally posted by shinronin
        is it running STU presently? any thought to outfitting 285s if the august fastrack STU proposals go through?
        http://www.scca.com/documents/Fastra...k-aug-solo.pdf - good news!
        Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
        2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
        EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!
          Why is the E46 M3 still excluded I dont get it
          Hunter

Ladies and Gentlemen this is your captain speaking. Please put your collars in the upright and POPed position.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter
            hopefully it won't be very much longer. the SEB has recommended to the BOD that it be removed from the STU exclusion list thus allowed into STU.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter
              Its in there. Here are the pertinent changes:

14.3 Tires
              Tires must meet the eligibility requirements of the Stock category (excluding 13.3.F), with the following additional restrictions:
              A. Tires may have widths up to and including the following:
              • 225 – STS, STS2
              • 245 – STX, STU (AWD)
              • 275 – STU (2WD).
              14.4 Wheels
              A. Any wheels are allowed with widths up to the following:
              • 7.5” - STS, STS2
              • 8” - STX
              • Unlimited - STU

Separately from the above cleanup changes, the STAC has recommended that the following proposals be passed along to the BOD:
              • In Appendix A, Street Touring Class U, remove the line under “Excluded” which reads “BMW M3 (E46 ‘01+)” (ref. 07-001) [allow E46 M3]
              • In 14.12.3, under STX (also affects STU), change the last portion to read “…forced induction (turbo(s) or supercharger(s))” [allow twin turbo]
              • Change 14.12.4, under STX, to read: “Rim restriction: maximum width of 9 inches, diameter/offset unrestricted. [up from 8"]
              • Tire restriction: max width 265mm for FWD/RWD cars.” [up from 245mm]
              • In 14.12.9, remove Mazda RX-8 from the list of excluded cars. (ref. 08-056) [RX8 got moved to STX... but not the E36 M3]
              • In 14.13, under STU, change second sentence to read: “…and the maximum tire width is increased to 285mm for FWD or RWD vehicles…” (ref. 07-438 ) [Up from 275mm. Sure wish 285s would fit an E36 M3. They can only fit a 265 legally]
              It looks like a done deal. Of course the BOD could just screw this all up and not accept these recommendations from the SEB... but that's doubtful.

Comment

Doh! Terry beat me to it.
                '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
                - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

That is what I get for not reading the entire doc. Sounds like a good reason to buy some wheels and tires
                  Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
                    I had the pleasure of driving it all last week. I swapped the front springs for some 500 lb/in Hypercoils from 400 lb/in spring previously. Ride is a little more firm, but not much. I give this car the best "all around" car on the planet award. It is so nice. I want one bad.

What rear spring are you running and how long a spring are you running?
                    Hunter

Comment

Can you fit a 9" wheel and 265 on an STX e36 325is?

Comment

Originally posted by BrianGT
                        Can you fit a 9" wheel and 265 on an STX e36 325is?
                        9's will fit with a basic fender lip roll. 265s... not so much... at least not in the black-n-white of the rules (see STU M3 from Nationals last year).

Comment

Originally posted by John in Houston
                          9's will fit with a basic fender lip roll. 265s... not so much... at least not in the black-n-white of the rules (see STU M3 from Nationals last year).
                          How about if you use the Eastwood fender roller that most other ST cars use? It gives you a bit of pulling also, which should help.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianGT
                            How about if you use the Eastwood fender roller that most other ST cars use? It gives you a bit of pulling also, which should help.
                            Can't pull. You must maintain the stock body contours. That's the whole issue with ST(*) rules and max tire size. You are allowed to run a 265 (or 285 for STU)... but you cannot modify the fenders (ie: pull) to utilize the max tire size.

Ask Fair about this... one of his more popular rants

Comment

Certain 265s have been made to work on an E36... the narrower ones. A Yokohama 265 is about +10mm wider than a Bridgestone. And "works" just means it only rubs "most" of the time. The Yokohama 265 rubs all of the time.

Originally posted by John in Houston
                              Can't pull. You must maintain the stock body contours. That's the whole issue with ST(*) rules and max tire size. You are allowed to run a 265 (or 285 for STU)... but you cannot modify the fenders (ie: pull) to utilize the max tire size.

Ask Fair about this... one of his more popular rants
                              GRRRR... don't get me started.

They specifically say that "fender rolling" is allowed... which would mean you should be able to use a fender roller, right? Wrong. The STAC in all its infinite wisdom have reworded the rule to now clearly state that only the inner fender lip can be modified, and the "external fender contours" must remain "stock"... of course there's no measurements for a BMW's fender contours in any factory manuals, so this rule is unenforceable.

Kind of like how altered boost in ST is unenforceable...

Comment

Working...
                              X