E36 Track Pads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E36 Track Pads

I was wondering what pads I should buy to get started in HPDE and some time trial stuff for next year. Looking at the Hawk HT10 or DTC60/70 or Performance Friction 01 or 06 compound. I used Hawk HPS+ last time at ECR and used most of a set of pads. I dont really want to do that again so wondering what pads I should get. Also should I get a second set of rotors for the new pads or the same rotors are fine for both pads?

Christopher

Re: E36 Track Pads

DTC70s are nice. ECR is going to eat brakes regardless of what you use so keep that in mind. I'd put a new set of rotors on and swap before you leave for the track. Don't street drive on them other than that.
    Brian Hanchey
    AST Suspension - USA

Comment

I've been running Cobalt Friction for the last several years on the M3. Very rotor friendly and the dust isn't toxic to your wheels.

I had been running the Spec VR, but they recently changed the compounds to XR. I am now running the XR3 in front and XR5 in the rear. I'm very happy with them after 4 weekends and they actually show minimal wear on the pads and rotors. I may actually move to XR4s in the front if these ever wear out.

I find the M3 to be very easy on pads and rotors IF you are running the correct pads and using the correct braking techniques

Comment

Can I get away with the DTC70 in the front and HP+ in the rear or it much better to run both pads front and rear?

Comment

Can you do it? Sure. Braking is much more consistent and linear when you have matching or comparable pads. You also work the system better as a whole vs. over-working just the fronts. I believe this last point is why I see such good pad and rotor wear on the car. I'm not over working one particular end of the car and thus the parts last longer.

My $.03

Comment

Originally posted by John in Houston View Post
            Can you do it? Sure. Braking is much more consistent and linear when you have matching or comparable pads. You also work the system better as a whole vs. over-working just the fronts. I believe this last point is why I see such good pad and rotor wear on the car. I'm not over working one particular end of the car and thus the parts last longer.

My $.03
            Or you don't go fast enough.
            Brian Hanchey
            AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb View Post
              Or you don't go fast enough.
              Must be the shocks

It is an E36 M3... so it is pretty slow... check the NASA TT Records for Rocky Mountain There is still one missing.

Comment

Originally posted by John in Houston View Post
                Must be the shocks

It is an E36 M3... so it is pretty slow... check the NASA TT Records for Rocky Mountain There is still one missing.

Damn, I guess I better get out and run with NASA next season then huh? Didn't know it was that easy!

As for the original question - I've run HT10s with good success, although they can create shudder due to pad deposits once in a while. The DTC's seem to be much more resistant to that.
                Chris
                97 M3/4 - STU
                06 Evo - SM
                00 S2000 - STR

Comment

I can't say enough good things about the Performance Friction PFC06s I tried for my last HPDE day. Spend the money, they're the best.

Comment

Working...
                  X