Southwest Divisional #1 - Houston June 22-24th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Southwest Divisional #1 - Houston June 22-24th

Regular entry was $60. On the PDF entry form, it lists a $10 late fee for entries received on 6/20 and a $20 late fee for entries after 6/20.

That definitely conflicts with the website, which states: "Be sure to register ahead of time. A late fee is added to the cost of entry starting June 21st (Wednesday)." But, since the 21st is Thursday, obviously, someone made a typo.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!
      Hey, what does this event cost to enter? On DLB racing its charging me $70 - is that right??? This is a freagin Divisional! There is some confusion as to when late fees start (if at all). The houston site says June 21st but DLB racing says June 20th (and may be why its getting me for $60), but I heard on the Texas Region SCCA list they would be waived althogether.

I hate procrastination, but I am registering on the 20th, the supposed last day before late fees, and its gonna be $140 for me and the wife. Why am I doing this again??
      I heard that they were waving the late fee? You might want to ask Todd.
      McCall

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!
        ... its gonna be $140 for me and the wife. Why am I doing this again??
        Free place to stay

I was going to charge $10 but I don't want Terry to explode
        Adam
        It's not so much the heat as it is the humidity

Comment

Originally posted by GoDog
          Free place to stay

I was going to charge $10 but I don't want Terry to explode
          ha! good point.

It just seems a tick disorganized to say "ok guys, no late fees!" and yet post the dates that fees would be imposed. Then have those dates be wrong when you actually registered online. Three things already wrong... but hopefully the Houston folks still put on a good show. They normally do!
          Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
          2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
          EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Great event this weekend. Drive down was fun filled with hellish amounts of rain. Serious downpour for most of the drive with wipers on high, people driving 45 mph with flashers on, no visibility, etc. Once we got into Houston the rain had passed and we got to the the Faust's new house down in Clear Lake by about 10. Made it out Saturday morning for the most humid non-hot overcast weather I've seen since we moved up here from Houston. The rain held off other than a brief sprinkle in one run, though. Very schweaty!

Only 105 entrants, so a somewhat underwhelming turnout (a lot of Houston Region locals missed the event, too). STU had 6 cars - Henry Lin had a "curb incident" earlier in the week and didn't get it fixed in time and Fitz bailed on the EVO co-drive at the last minute. Day 1 Vitek (from Austin Spokes / Axware Systems fame) brought his '07 STi ($4K Ohlins doubles, Bridgestones, but no power mods) and put the smack down with a fast first run, 63.7 sec, which he never matched agian that day. Stokes had new Bridgestones in 245/40/17 and was having trouble getting them dialed in on his M3; I was the lone car left on Yokohamas. After 4 runs it was Vitek, Alex Ponce de Leon (64.0), McCall (64.2), me (64.3), Chris Stokes (64., and some other folks I didn't meet. McCall had a faster 63.6 but double coned it.

Day 1 course was fun, busy, had a lot of the off camber turn arounds that benefited patient corner exits... or AWD. Pretty long and straight starting zone that was good for the launch buggies. My car was set-up much tighter this time, with better results and feel that at the Tour (where it was super loose). Tires just don't seem to have the bite they once did, and with 2-3 drivers running them twice a month or more over the past 12 months they are probably goners. Will check the DAQ numbers tonight on lateral grip, but they felt "off". There was even an ABS-freakout moment where I braked hard over one of the deep low spots/bumps and locked up the tires briefly, which caused me to bail on the turn and DNF to save the tires. McCall was PAXed 12th and I was 13th, with STU as a group PAXing well overall.

Amy and Mel were fighting it out in STUL with Amy ahead by ~1 sec after 4 runs, but a bit back from the STU pace. Frank was co-driving the Faust's Solstice GXP and led the large AS field, with D Hedderick .1 sec back and Adam .2 sec back. Todd was in a BSP C4 and looked like he had a blast!

Day 2 course was pretty different and re-used only one main section from Day 1; Another great Roger Johnson layout. More of the same 180° turn-arounds, again mostly off camber, with some big fast sweepers, faster sections overall and a long high speed slalom/offset. At least the start didn't have the huge acceleration lane as Day 1, and the distances between corners kept the STis shifting 2-3-2-3 (except the '07 STi and McCall). Stokes set a fast pace (60.6) but had cone trouble again all day, as did several others. I struggled with the car and my driving (kept over-braking) but got down to a 60.89. Alex got a 60.5 (edit). Vitek had to settle for a 61.0 (edit) as did Stokes. McCall busted out a 59.99 and took the overall win, leaping up from 3rd place. Nicely done! He looked fast everywhere. My run felt better than Day 1 but I slipped to 24th in PAX and stayed in 4th overall, so I guess it wasn't so good (this course favored R compounds mroe than Day 1). McCall finished 10th in PAX. In STU it was: McCall, Alex, Vitek, Fair, Stokes, then the others.

Amy had a better day with times closer matching STU, and took the STUL win by about 2 seconds, with lots of smooth driving and wobbled cones (and one oops! DNF). Melinda struggled with a few corners and some cone trouble but looked fast in most areas. Faust was in 1st on day 2 in AS but Hedderick had a big drop of .8 sec to take the Win, with Adam and a frustrated Frank and right behind. Kami had a much better day and was getting some great times in AS-L. Weather was great and we had a overcast-to-sunny but breezy good day, with both days finishing by 2 pm due to the lower turn-out and good organization of the Houston folks. The weekend was a lot of fun and we missed the rain until the drive back again. Wish more of you could have made it.

Stopped by Tomlin's shop in Pearland and saw Teucci working on the Alpha car. Getting some big meats! Amy and I watched in-car video last night and it looked pretty obvious where we were losing time. I now eagerly await the shipment of 18x10 wheels and some new Bridgestone rubber!
            Last edited by Fair!; 06-25-2007, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Results are up.

http://www.houscca.com/solo/results07/houston_fin.htm

more formats: http://www.houscca.com/solo/results.asp

I will try to get one or two runs of video uploaded this week.

Comment

Glad to see the gang in the GXP put the smack down on all those smug S2000 owners even if they did ultimately end up losing to the Boxster S. Congrats McCall!
                Last edited by Redwood; 06-25-2007, 10:49 AM.
                -Sean Martin
                2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Looks like ya'll should throw out the 4th runs and see how everyone placed

Comment

Good analysis, Fair! FWIW, we/I need to improve communication between DLB, region, etc. I didn't know late fees were waived until Friday. Easily fixed, just enter earlier!

As far as first day/second day comparisons. I think tires were more critical due to much more speed differential on course. As well, car placement was critical and is always dependant on grip. Day 1 allowed more room to work, utilize power and maintain speed. Day 2 was about car placement, setup for the next maneuver and lowend grunt out of a couple of slow turns. Mostly car placement entering the two fast, long sections and how long you dare to keep your foot buried. Also, day 2 finish slalom was crucial in how you entered it.

Both courses were much more fun than they looked. Day 2 ROCKED!

Thank you guys for promoting/supporting the series! It meant a lot!

Hope to see ya'll in Pearsall!

todd

Comment

Pictures from the Divisional:

http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/gallery/3073632#P-1-15

Not many pictures there, but with only 2 run/work groups we were either running or working all day. No time to sit around and take pictures...

Comment

No photos of Turbo driving the 'child molester' car?

Comment

Working...
                        X