X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridgestone ST Contingency

From the sccaforums

Post by Andy:
    The other piece of this puzzle is that Bridgestone seem to be intent on a higher level of support for our sport. They showed up in force at San Diego with an 18-wheeler and tire mounting equipment (shades of the old BFG/Yokohama/Kumho days). They plan to also be at Huntsville and Topeka. More support next year, if all goes well. And contingency for this year. $300/200/100 is the early word there. And this from a company that only makes tires legal for ST. That says a LOT to me, and I think its a good thing for the sport.

Post from Rodreich Stotsenburg of Bridgestone NA:
    It is great to see all of the interest in the Potenza RE-01R! The contingency will only be for the STS, STS2, STX, and STU classes, in which it meets the minimum tread wear requirement of 140.
    There will be rebate coming out in the SCCA Sportscar magazine and on the not yet released web site,
    www.potenza.com, in April / May / or June, depending on where you look. It will be $100 back when you buy 4 tires. You have to be an SCCA member to receive the rebate.

Shoot me any questions/comments and I will be more than happy to help you guys out.

Basically a major tire company is now focusing it's efforts on ST tires. This has me excited that now we may see some brand stablization in ST tires like you see in R compounds.
    McCall

Re: Bridgestone ST Contingency

Woohoo, I'll wait until the rebate to buy.
    -Sean Martin
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Originally posted by McCall

Basically a major tire company is now focusing it's efforts on ST tires. This has me excited that now we may see some brand stablization in ST tires like you see in R compounds.
      What stablization would that be? Kumho's one year, Hoosier's the next?
      '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
      - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
        What stablization would that be? Kumho's one year, Hoosier's the next?
        I mean that maybe you won't see/hear about 5-10 different tires as possible contenders. If major manufacturers are going to now focus on the ST category, then like R compounds, there will basically be a known 1 or 2 tires to choose from. That IMHO, would be a very good thing and would eliminate the constant we-have-to-test-10-tires complaints.
        McCall

Comment

Isn't it 1 to 2 tires to choose from now?

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
          - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

For all ST categories, I keep hearing about the Advans, RE-01Rs, 615s, 215s, MX, Continentals, Generals, Nittos,...and the list goes on and on.
            McCall

Comment

Kinda like Kumhos, Hoosiers, Toyo, General, Hankook, Yokohama, Goodyear, Nittos, BFG,... and the lest goes on and on.

- Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
                Kinda like Kumhos, Hoosiers, Toyo, General, Hankook, Yokohama, Goodyear, Nittos, BFG,... and the lest goes on and on.
                The difference is we all KNOW that Kumho and Hooiser are the only manufactures who focus on Solo racing (and funny thing they are the best tires too) so your comparison does not work.

Right now I think it's just dumb luck/coincidence that certain ST tires work better than others at Solo. I seriously doubt they had the category and it's small % usage compared to their overall sales in mind when they were making their compounds.
                McCall

Comment

Originally posted by McCall
                  The difference is we all KNOW that Kumho and Hooiser are the only manufactures who focus on Solo racing (and funny thing they are the best tires too) so your comparison does not work.
                  Oh you KNOW that only Kuhmo and Hoosier are the best tires for "R" compounds? Did somebody just read that on the internet or was there some testing involved?

We know they are the best because hundreds of people have tried them and tested them, some even back to back. The event results also seem to support that testing too. Of course some decisions are based on tire size availability.

Lets look at ST tires... In STU we are saddled with limited tire sizes and through testing and event results there seems to be a clear winner last year. Kinda like two years ago comparing the Kumhos and Hoosiers, Kumhos FTW. Last year Hoosier released a new tire, the S0-6, and it seems to be the tire to have (if it comes in your size). This year the RE0-1R is released and could potentially be the tire to have. That remains to be seen at this point. So for me the decision is easy, Yoks FTW until it is proven that the RE0-1R is a faster tire. Not ten tires to choose from, not even three, just two and that is giving the RE0-1R the benefit of the doubt.

- Dr. Clarkson

Comment

No Paul, it really is just Kumho and Hoosier for R compounds. Has been for a while. The rest of the Rs are also-rans. I can show you data of how much some of the second tier tires suck, like Toyo RA1 (that make the grip of a Falken 615 but have worse wear).

As for ST, well, it is all over the place. Yokohama has had some dominance but not in the smaller sizes, but we've seen Falkens that cost 2/3rds as much keep up on certain surfaces. There are more variables at play.

The extreme price differences of some of the fringe 140 treadwear tires (some Michelins, some other Bridgestones, etc) has kept more people from running them but I would wager there are 5-6 tires models for a given ST car that could be within .1 - .3 sec on a 60 second course, if you had the money to test them all. Unlike with R compounds, there's just too much expense to test all of the wheels and tires for a given car. Andy Hollis has gone to those extremes, with lots of wheel diameters and tire models tested, which is well documented.

One of the reasons that I think so many people have flocked to Yokohama is their mis-labeled sizes and ST class tire width restrictions. If you were limited to a 245mm tire but one lone company made all of their sizes +10mm wider, well, it makes for an easier choice. In SP, where there is no set limit to tire width, who would care that a 265 is labeled as a 255?

As for the Bridgestone ST contingency, that is exciting. This is the first time this category has been singled out for tire contingencies. Neat.
                    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
                    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
                    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Rebate is up and available. $100 when you buy a set of 4.

I'm thinking of getting these and trying them out. Only thing is they have a 245x40 and not a 255x40

Comment

Originally posted by John in Houston
                        Rebate is up and available. $100 when you buy a set of 4.

I'm thinking of getting these and trying them out. Only thing is they have a 245x40 and not a 255x40
                        18x9 and 18x10 LTW5s are on the way. Look for a 265/35-18 in the neighborhood this summer.
                        Brian Hanchey
                        AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
                          18x9 and 18x10 LTW5s are on the way. Look for a 265/35-18 in the neighborhood this summer.
                          Aiy... you bastige. Whats the time line on the 18x9s? I'd prefer to do the 18s with the 265s.

Comment

Just ordered a set of 245x40x17 RE-01s. Should have them mounted / balanced for the next BMWCCA event here in Denver.

$168 each at TireRack!

Comment

Originally posted by John in Houston
                              Just ordered a set of 245x40x17 RE-01s. Should have them mounted / balanced for the next BMWCCA event here in Denver.

$168 each at TireRack!
                              Did you get the $100 rebate?
                              McCall

Comment

Working...
                              X