Bling bling look at my new M3 wing!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bling bling look at my new M3 wing!

Ok, this started as kind of a little bit of a joke. A couple of years back Sean bought a small and tasteful E46-style rear spoiler for his car off ebay for around $100. Well I decided that I'd check on one for my new-to-me M3. I start searching around Ebay and find one but it's only $5. Yep, five fricken dollars($4.99 actually). I thought that this price has got to be a joke or this was a fricken toy. Well it looked legit and the ad said all the right stuff as well as the seller had a good rating so I said what the heck and ordered it.

Here's the ad

Not surprisingly there was additional shipping/handling/insurance so here's the invoice:

The total is:
    4.95 - Item Subtotal
    +2.00 - Insurance
    +12.95 - Shipping/Handling
    +0.00 - Sales Tax
    -----------
    19.90 = Final Total

Yep, that was it. This sale took place on Monday night and it just arrived today. He shipped it USPS but the box is nice quailty and it came from City of Industry, CA so shipping/handling/box must have cost at least $10 I'm guessing.

Then I open the box and find this:

So not only did I get the spoiler I got a little flashlight keychain and a sticker! What a fricken deal!! Oh yea, I trial fitted the spoiler and it's a perfect fit. Next step is to get it painted and I should have it on the car in about a week.

So here's the question, how in the world is this guying making any money???

Fair gets yours on order for the silver car!!
    Last edited by McCall; 01-11-2007, 11:57 PM.
    McCall

Re: Bling bling look at my new M3 wing!

Uhh... I'm gonna let you get your spainted and installed... and prove itself in the rain before I buy one. For $5, I still think its made of SALT!
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Mine wasn't $100, but it wasn't THAT cheap. I think it was under $50 for sure. $90 was BMW employee price (we talked to one that had bought it for his car), $125 list.

FYI, Classic BMW's shop quoted me $100 to paint mine. Yours might be cheaper since it's non-metallic paint, or not since it's a few years later. Other than that, you can drive all the way over to GTi in Euless. I would not get it painted anywhere besides one of those two.

GTi
      1118 South Airport Circle
      Euless, TX 78040
      -Sean Martin
      2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood
        Mine wasn't $100, but it wasn't THAT cheap. I think it was under $50 for sure. $90 was BMW employee price (we talked to one that had bought it for his car), $125 list.

FYI, Classic BMW's shop quoted me $100 to paint mine. Yours might be cheaper since it's non-metallic paint, or not since it's a few years later. Other than that, you can drive all the way over to GTi in Euless. I would not get it painted anywhere besides one of those two.
        Ah, that's where I got the $100 stuck in my brain from. Anyhoo, the only thing that gives me any pause is the fact that it's made of a hard durameter rubber. I just wonder how well the paint is going to stick to it. I'll take it over to my paint guy, Texas Body Works, and let him check it out. If he thinks it will work (and last) ok I'll get it painted and put it on.

Sean, what was yours made of? Plastic?
        McCall

Comment

Originally posted by McCall
          Ah, that's where I got the $100 stuck in my brain from. Anyhoo, the only thing that gives me any pause is the fact that it's made of a hard durameter rubber. I just wonder how well the paint is going to stick to it. I'll take it over to my paint guy, Texas Body Works, and let him check it out. If he thinks it will work (and last) ok I'll get it painted and put it on.

Sean, what was yours made of? Plastic?
          Yeah, plastic. I think it's basically made from a mold made from a BMW original part.
          -Sean Martin
          2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Alright, its now painted and installed. I took it over to my body shop (Texas Body Works) and for only $50 he sprayed it for me. Knowing that white is the hardest color to match, I say it came out pretty darn close. The only gripe I have, and this is a small one, is that I wish the spoiler had been about 1/4" longer to better fit on the trunk but again you can hardly tell.

So in review, after shipping and paint, I have a total of $69.90 into this and here's how it came out (sorry for the crappy white balance):

Last edited by McCall; 02-07-2007, 01:43 PM.
            McCall

Comment

Welcome to the BMW lip-spoiler club.
              -Sean Martin
              2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Looks nice Jason. Can't beat that price either.

Comment

Working...
                X