Phone : 972-422-7170
Mon - Fri, 9am - 6pm CST
Go Back Vorshlag Motorsports Forum > Vorshlag Motorsports Discussions > Car Setups
Unread 03-13-2012, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Subaru BRZ / Toyota FRS / FT86 Chassis Related Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
Subaru Importing Only 6000 2013 model BRZs to the U.S. - Let the dealer gouging commence...
Anyone who pays over MSRP deserves to. Not only does the internet make the old MSRP+ markup ploy unfeasible, but the FR-S is (nearly) mechanically identical and Scion dealerships MUST sell at MSRP.

The FT is looking like it might end up a relative success; rave reviews, some good numbers, and it gets a response out of everyone that looks into it. Even the haters can't seem to stop talking about it. Unless the production models turn out to just outright suck (unlikely) I think it has a good chance to become the next Miata.
Unread 03-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Redwood Send a message via AIM to Redwood Send a message via MSN to Redwood Send a message via Yahoo to Redwood

Subaru BRZ Manual Online
Unread 03-14-2012, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
Anyone who pays over MSRP deserves to. Not only does the internet make the old MSRP+ markup ploy unfeasible, but the FR-S is (nearly) mechanically identical and Scion dealerships MUST sell at MSRP.

The FT is looking like it might end up a relative success; rave reviews, some good numbers, and it gets a response out of everyone that looks into it. Even the haters can't seem to stop talking about it. Unless the production models turn out to just outright suck (unlikely) I think it has a good chance to become the next Miata.
I think so as well, most dealers have said they signed something with SOA to not sell above MSRP and those that are have been added to a blacklist on some of the FR-S/BRZ forums.

I think it should be successful and could definitely become the next Miata, but I know some people will hate on it because it has "only 200 horsepower". I'll be posting my own thoughts on the car once mine arrives.
Unread 03-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Redwood Send a message via AIM to Redwood Send a message via MSN to Redwood Send a message via Yahoo to Redwood

Subaru launches production of BRZ, Scion FR-S coupes
Unread 03-17-2012, 09:58 PM

BRZ Limited weighed. 2723.

http://www.subarubrzforum.com/showth...ship-with-pics.

No info about driver weights or fuel level.
Unread 03-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Administrator

First tests are up...
-2013 Subaru BRZ Limited First Test at Motor Trend

-2013 Subaru BRZ Full Test & Video at Inside Line
Unread 03-26-2012, 11:38 AM

Is there any truth to the FR-S having diffrent spring rates to the BRZ from the factory.

Thanks,

K
Unread 03-26-2012, 03:17 PM
I blame the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kablammo View Post
Is there any truth to the FR-S having diffrent spring rates to the BRZ from the factory.

Thanks,

K
Yea, the rumor is that one version has stiffer springs ans softer shock valving (FRS) and the other has softer springs and stiffer shock valving (BRZ). Trust me - its going to be so minor you wouldn't notice. We will test the spring rates on both models as soon as we can, but I'd bet good money the difference is less than 10%, and both spring rates will be so soft as to make each car a LEAN MACHINE, like most bone stock cars. 10% is nothing... we usually increase spring rates by 200-400% with coilover conversions, so a 10% swing on spring rates when they are this soft is a rounding error, to me.

Even a stock 2011 WRX and 2008 EVO X MR have super soft spring rates. The BRZ/FRS isn't even that "sporty" and will likely have more roll

I wouldn't let these minor differences in rumored spring rates sway you from a BRZ to an FRS. Buy the one you like from the aesthetics, or if you like Subaru more than Scion... they are going to be so similar as to not matter much, performance-wise. With proper spring rates (3-5 times stiffer than stock) and good adjustable monotube shocks (ASTs, etc) these cars will handle MUCH flatter and ride as good or almost as good as stock.

Cheers,
Unread 03-27-2012, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the update!

Do you think the FR-S and BRZ are under braked?

From the reviews I've seen it appears that the brakes may not hold up to track duty. In Chris Harris's video: ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=romf-G6CZ7g ) he was experiencing brake fade. However, I'm sure that car was used and abused that day and Chris was surely hooning it. TRD has a BBK on their option list but so far no pricing.

On a side note I stoped by the Scion dealership yesterday and the sales manager claimed that they are going to try to produce 75K units of the FR-S and get this... only 3.5K of the BRZ! I'd take this claim with a grain of salt as I trust dealers only as far as I can see them. Regarding Scion pricing, since Scion does not negotiate one bit (Pure Price), it really doesn't matter where you buy an FR-S unless you can find a dealer with no D&H or one that will negotiate D&H.

Color options - it appears that Whiteout and Firestorm are non-pearl/metallic and Raven may possiblly be as well.

Last edited by kablammo; 03-27-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Unread 04-05-2012, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Pricing For 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium Set at $26,245, Limited at $27,345