NASA Texas Instructor Clinic : Jan 15, 2011

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NASA Texas Instructor Clinic : Jan 15, 2011

I need to dig up Fair's "off" in the Evo at HHR. Should have brought that with you.
    Brian Hanchey
    AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by Costas
      Event was wet and fun. I took a BUNCH of pics with Fair's camera...he needs to get those uploaded to smugmug so we can check them out!!
      The man wasn't kidding - of the 430 pics he took, I only uploaded 104. Costas uses the "full auto", Gatling gun, spray and pray method of shooting pics. I do appreciate the photos, of course! Many of them were incredibly good, especially given the conditions.

Gallery - http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Racing-E...or-H2R-011511/

Of course it rained.... All. Day. Long. Cold and wet pretty much sums it up. No big, we just stayed in cars on track all day, doing the 3 Instructor training scenarios and tests, or hung out in H2R's warm and dry clubhouse. I guess I passed? We're supposed to find out later. Costas checked me off on 2 of the 3 tests, himself. We got Amy's TT license paperwork signed off by the Texas TT director, met the NASA Instructor Director for Texas, met the new Rocky Mountain NASA folks that took over the Texas region, and saw some old friends I hadn't seen in a while.

edit: yes, I did pass the certification tests.

The Mustang handled great - effortless to corner, slide, and brake. We spent zero time tweaking or testing on the car, no video or DAQ, just did the school testing and then drove a fun session at the end of the day before we cut out at 2 pm, to haul back to Dallas celebrate Costas' birthday. For the instructor sign-offs, Costas was a "mock student" in the Mustang while I was riding with my "students" in their cars. Later we switched seats for one of the scenarios, where I was taking a "new student" thru on a "80% speed" ride-along, which was fun to finally get out on track. At the end of the day they had some time left so they sent out a huge group of the instructors + trainees for a 35 minute free-for-all. That session made the day!

This was where the Mustang really shined, and where most of these pictures are from.

Get out of there, Maverick!

Not to sound cocky, but apparently the combination of full tread AD08s, 412hp, ASTs + Vorshlag plates, and with either Costas or me at the wheel, the Mustang was pretty damn quick in the wet. We had no trouble passing anything on track, and some cars were passed once every 2 laps. It was fun as hell, and effortless. Gotta say, the new Coyote 5.0L is one damn torque monster V8, pulling hard from 2500-7000 rpm. This let us run the entire course in 4th gear, since 3rd just caused more wheel spin in these super wet conditions.

And Costas figured out how to totally defeat the traction control - it was in the damn owner's manual. There are 4 modes, and the 4th is "Honestly and truly... OFF!", which is how we ran it all day. All of the other traction/ESC modes would kill power or apply brakes with any slip or yaw at all. Funk that! Its easy to turn off... while stopped, hold the brakes and press the Traction Control button for 5 seconds. Done.

Glad we went to this event. Our instructor trainee group went out on track first, and missed all of the classroom session, but that was by design (apparently we had all been instructors before, and they needed to get a group out on track quickly, so they rushed us out w/o much guidance). The end of day "fun session" was a total blast in the Mustang, and now I can't wait to get it back out on track in the dry. The NASA MSR-Houston event is in 2 weeks, so we're trying to figure out who gets to drive the car at that event (me or Amy), since the E30 is still down and I'm not going to chance the M3 on track "just one more time". Since Amy just got her TT sign-off she might get the nod this time.

And before someone pops up about it, yes, I had a little off-and-on at the end of the last session, on my last lap. I'm even man enough to post the pics (even if they are blurry). So I was being held up a bit behind another Mustang for a lap and a half, and finally got the point by, late on a straight that led right into a corner that was completely underwater. I had to brake a bit deeper than I liked, to both make the pass and build a small buffer between us, and the tires hydroplaned badly, pushing my line wide, right to the edge of the track. I could have probably just put 2 tires off, but its a very straight, flat and MUDDY spot around the corner, so I made it an easy 2 second "straight off and on". I think I was going all of 15 mph when I went off, so it was pretty boring. I was watching my mirror as I was going to the edge of the track, in what felt like slow motion, since I wanted to clear the way for the guy right behind me I had just passed. Good thing I did, as he followed me right off the corner. We both quickly got back on, didn't make it any more of a mess than it already was (there were numerous offs, and even some spins, with standing water in almost every corner). We went into the pits and both laughed pretty hard about it afterward. Oh well, I don't pretend to be perfect.

There were at least six 2010-11 Mustangs out there, including a few rentals. Popular car for the day. Thanks to Costas for the tow, the co-drive, and the instructor sign-off - that was fun.

Cheers,
      Last edited by Fair!; 01-17-2011, 08:09 PM.
      Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
      2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
      EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb View Post
        I need to dig up Fair's "off" in the Evo at HHR. Should have brought that with you.
        Aww man, you gotta bring that up, too? Oh well, at least I'm consistent.

Comment

Terry,

You are indeed in the Instructor Que for the first event. Little bird told me.

Costas
          cars and such...

Comment

Originally posted by Shortcutsleeping View Post
            Terry,

You are indeed in the Instructor Que for the first event. Little bird told me.

Costas
            cars and such...
            Yep, I just got the email like 3 minutes ago.

NASA January 29/30, 2011 at MSR-H.... HPDE/TT/Racing

So... Amy and I are discussing the upcoming MSR-H event at this very moment. I might go and just instruct, which would let me (and you) do some ride-alongs with Amy on Saturday, to help get her up to speed in the new car and new track. We're thinking of entering her in the Mustang on Saturday in HPDE-4 and on Sunday in TTB.

I can enter the car in TT on Saturday as well, for free. But it might be a little crazy trying to instruct, ride-along with Amy, and do TT on the same day. Hmm...

Are you going for the whole weekend? Anyone else going?

Comment

Originally posted by Fair! View Post
              The man wasn't kidding - of the 430 pics he took, I only uploaded 104. Costas uses the "full auto", Gatling gun, spray and pray method of shooting pics. I do appreciate the photos, of course! Many of them were incredibly good, especially given the conditions.
              I'd keep the camera inside my rain jacket till the last second, pull it up and shoot a bunch and then quickly hide it again from the rain/sprinke/mist that was happening at the moment. Typically I'm more selective in my shots, but with the conditions, it was indeed spray and pray. Glad some were good! I spent my time drying the camera, quick shooting, and then more drying. Whee!

I guess I passed?
              yes

(even if they are blurry). So I was being held up...
              You were on the far side of the track, I was lucky to get those!! heh!

Fun day for sure...I thought it had been long when I got home, only to find hot water in the tub and my outfit laid out for the 'Murder Mystery Dinner' which rocked!

Costas
              cars and such...

Comment

http://www.witchdoctormotorsports.com/ch173.htm

Costas
                cars and such...

Comment

Working...
                X