E36 LS1 Beta

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E36 LS1 Beta

Updates for Feb 15, 2007: We've been swamped with orders, which has been kept us going into the wee hours of the morning many nights, but did manage to get some work in on the LS1 project 3 nights in the past week. Latest pics start here.

We have optimized the driveline angles (where the rear diff flange and transmission flanges are equal-but-offsetting angles, for proper U-joint operation) and shifter ergonomics by raising the transmission in the tunnel significantly. This was helped by removing the insulation under the tunnel and trimming the shifter hole "ever so slightly". An adjustable offset/angle shifter (from McLeod) will put everything perfectly within arms reach. After seeing several LS1/T56 swaps in magazines and on some car shows, each of which required major tunnel surgery or complete tunnel removal & replacement, this BMW chassis really does swallow this drivetrain quite well.

After the drivetrain was in the final final location, we finished the LS1 block mounting plates, procured the right bolts (M10x1.5x30mm SHCS), then built the top plates for our Competition Motor Mounts where the lateral supports will land. A few nights ago we made the templates, and tonight we cut the lateral steel pieces and tacked them in place. So one side is fabbed (still needs a gusset) and the other is almost there.

I can say this - we need a plasma cutter. Cutting these curved shapes with a band saw is a whip! The production pieces will be water jet or laser cut (then welded in a jig), of course. Bolt-in motor mounts that exceed factory strength and quality is the goal. Oh yes. if we didn't post it yet, we will have both Nylon and Polyurethane inserts for these motor mounts - so you can dial-back engine vibration if you desire, or go for the instant throttle response of our racing mounts.

Enjoy:

Bolt-in transmission crossmember/mount is next. Once that is finalized, we have the necessary diff-side flange parts that will now allow us to measure for the custom driveshaft and get that on order. Lots of brake fittings and hardline on the way from Goodridge for the ABS relocation. We'll tackle the fuel line & pump upgrade next (stock lines and pump will not support projected 650 hp).

Thanks to McCall for volunteering on more than one occasion in the past week.
    Last edited by Fair!; 02-16-2007, 08:09 PM.
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Re: E36 LS1 Beta

Keep it coming guys!
    02 Golf TDI 306,000 miles

Comment

Love the look of the 2.0 motor mounts! Kinda like the spokes on the old 18" sport wheels. I think these are them:
      "When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin
      http://www.duckfest.net

Comment

Love the look of the 2.0 engine mounts! Very professional and cool looking. They remind me of the M Parallel wheel spokes from the 740 sport package a little bit. Tie-ins like that would attract the pimps as well as the performers. Throw in a third strut and powdercoat them M colors for an addition fee.
        "When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin
        http://www.duckfest.net

Comment

By the way, does the beta car have any deadline? Like SEMA or a specific race?

Comment

Originally posted by HIDGolf
            By the way, does the beta car have any deadline? Like SEMA or a specific race?
            July 27th. GRM Ultimate Track Car Challenge.
            Brian Hanchey
            AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Have you guys made a cardomain page per the rules?

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new...-challenge.php

Comment

Originally posted by HIDGolf
                Have you guys made a cardomain page per the rules?

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new...-challenge.php
                Not yet, but it isn't due till June 1st I believe. Oops, Hanchey here, I was logged in on Fair's PC. Doh!

Comment

Feb 18, 2007: We were slammed this weekend doing machine work on a big run of camber plate parts (welding, drilling, boring, etc) but we did manage to get the pieces cut and tack welded for the the pass. side LS1 motor mount as well as parts of the trans cross member machined.

Kept the same arched shape as the driver's side, for matching aesthetics more than anything. The arch helped on the driver's side to clear the steering shaft rag joint. More pics here. Owner came by for the shifter "fitting" and we test fit dual 3" pipes out back - which didn't fit well. Going to stick with a dual 3" merged mid-way down the chassis into single 4" pipe and muffler.

Comment

The grm UTC will be tough. A well-driven high HP Z06 will be tough to beat unless you bring a full-on car.

Or is the goal to show up and beat all the non-heavy duty guys and get some press for vomo and the ls1 kit?

Costas

Comment

Looking good guys..

The GRM UTC will be tough. A high hp z06 that is well driven will be hard to beat unless a full-on car shows up.

You guys going for the win (Independent Study, Varsity) or just going to do as good as you can and showcase vomo and the project/parts?

Costas

Comment

Cool, keep up the good work!!!

Costas

Comment

Good going guys...wish I was closer, I'd come help some.

Costas

Comment

Looks good guys!

Wish I lived closer, I would come out and help some.

Costas

Comment

Will there be any work going on this thursday (3-15-07)? I finally have a free day and would like to come over and help out. I can hold flashlights or turn whenches, but my specialty is standing back and making sarcastic suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                              X