NASA Texas Instructor Clinic : Jan 15, 2011

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA Texas Instructor Clinic : Jan 15, 2011

Copying this from the NASA forum/Tex region sub-section (thanks Scheier!) : http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=37815

Could be a fun day at H2R for $75, and get you signed off for instructing.

Registration is up: http://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1151

I've instructed with NASA but not as a certified goober. I might sign up just to get that signed off + some cheap track time in the Mustang.

=======

NASA Texas will be holding it's first Instructor Clinic of the season!!!! Saturday January 15th at Harris Hill Road (H2R).

http://harrishillroad.com/
    San Marcos, TX (Near Austin)

Who: The NASA Instructor Clinic is open to any advanced driver (HDPE4 equivalent, TT or racer) who would like to learn what it is like and what it takes to become a NASA certified instructor. You do not need to be a current NASA member to attend and we often see instructors from other organizations attending to "keep on top of their game".

The Clinic is also open to any current NASA instructor as you will likely learn something new every time and you will be looked upon to help coach the new candidates.

What Happens: The NASA Instructor Clinic is a one day format and is split between in-classroom and on-track sessions. On-track sessions involve role-playing scenarios as well as just some time to just drive. In classroom sessions cover coaching techniques, dealing with unique situations, personal interactions with HPDE students and theory on why we teach what we do in the NASA HPDE program.

What you need to bring: A car suitable to use on track for scenarios (a normal street car with passenger seat), a helmet and a desire to learn.

What happens after all that: After completing the NASA Instructor Clinic, you will decide along with the NASA Chief Instructor and HPDE Group Leaders if NASA is a good match or not. Instructing with NASA is not for everyone, but this clinic will help you decide if it's something that you would enjoy or not. Likewise, the clinic gives the NASA staff some time to evaluate you as a potential instructor for us. If you pass and are invited on board to Instruct with NASA you'll be invited to come out to events and participate as a Provisional Instructor. After a couple of events with positive feedback from your HPDE students and you'll become a certified NASA Instructor with all the full benefits.

Who runs the Instructor Clinic: The Chief Instructor and crew of HPDE group leaders are your hosts for the day. For the first clinic, we will have help from some of the HPDE staff from NASA Rocky Mountain. Over the past 4 years, they've hosted half-dozen clinics, attended coaching seminars and graduated dozens on new instructor candidates.

More details to follow (i.e. any costs, times, etc)......
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Re: NASA Texas Instructor Clinic : Jan 15, 2011

Hmm... I'd be interested, but since I can't seem to find enough time to make it out to instruct with the groups I already work for, I probably don't need to add another one.
    Iain

'01 Honda S2000 - extra crispy
    '05 Honda CR-V EX AWD - alphabet soup family truckster
    Always looking for a co-drive...

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Yea, just thought it might be fun to do an HHR event in January for cheap... the instructor bit is just a bonus.

Comment

FYI - Sondra is doing another Velocity Adventures event at H2R on February 19th.
        Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Hmm, that is tempting. I just might need to order up a set of new tires for the E30 and carry my ass out there. Is the RS3s still the best bang for the buck autox/lapping street tire?
          McCall

Comment

Yea, it looks like we'll at least have AST suspension + Vorshlag plates on the Mustang by then, so I'll sign up just to get in some track time. H2R is a fun track.

Comment

I'm out. I will most likely be between cars at that point.
              Iain

Comment

You changing cars Iain?

Comment

Yeah. After 4.5 years with the RX-8 my car ADD is acting up again, plus I don't think the new transmission is going to hold up to track abuse in the long term. So I'm putting it back to stock over Christmas and selling it.

I think I'm going to pick up an AP1 S2000 as an STR/track project car. If anyone knows of a decent one for sale for $10k or less, let me know.
                  Iain

Comment

Originally posted by altiain View Post
                    Yeah. After 4.5 years with the RX-8 my car ADD is acting up again, plus I don't think the new transmission is going to hold up to track abuse in the long term. So I'm putting it back to stock over Christmas and selling it.

I think I'm going to pick up an AP1 S2000 as an STR/track project car. If anyone knows of a decent one for sale for $10k or less, let me know.
                    4.5 years is a lifetime among some people on here.
                    Brian Hanchey
                    AST Suspension - USA

Comment

I finally signed up; taking the Mustang. Should be fun.

Costas and I are going down there for this event to Gonna meet the new NASA region owners and the other officials. Hopefully it won't be cold as b@lls!

Comment

Originally posted by Fair! View Post
                        I finally signed up; taking the Mustang. Should be fun.

Costas and I are going down there for this event to Gonna meet the new NASA region owners and the other officials. Hopefully it won't be cold as b@lls!
                        Personally, I'm hoping Dave and Revkah bring our weather to you!

Plus... I warned them about you

Comment

I'd like to do this but I'd have to clone myself. I'm missing my son and daughter's real birthday. Can't miss his party too.
                          Brian Hanchey
                          AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by John in Houston View Post
                            Personally, I'm hoping Dave and Revkah bring our weather to you!

Plus... I warned them about you
                            Ha! Keep that Colorado weather in your own backyard!

I talked to Revkah today (I think?) and she sounded nice, and helped me with my NASA account issue. Glad there's new owners in this region... hopefully they can recruit some new blood and heal some wounds inflicted on the SCCA crowd, made by previous region owners...

Comment

Event was wet and fun. I took a BUNCH of pics with Fair's camera...he needs to get those uploaded to smugmug so we can check them out!!

Costas
                              cars and such...

Comment

Working...
                              X