• Show
Clear All

Re: Vorshlag 1991 BMW 318is

Originally posted by C3
    Here are my bets:

# Dirty old beater
    # E30 test car for new goodies
    # Tommy's next daily driver when he gets tired of commuting in the Jeep
    Hush it! I already picked up another daily driver anyhoo.
    2001 Jeep Wrangler
    2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
    Front LCA Bushing Swap
    E36 Custom Cat Back
    M3 Limited Slip Diff Repair
    Diff Swap

Comment

Paul and me went over to Fair's on Saturday and got the motor pulled in the 318. Here's some pics of the day: http://mccall.smugmug.com/gallery/3031023

We got it out with little drama. Next step, swap everything over from the other motor and put that baby back in (oh yea, I'm sure Fair will do a little bit of cleaning) =

Last edited by McCall; 06-20-2007, 12:18 AM.
      McCall

Comment

I spent the better part of this evening cleaning up the mess in the shop from this tear down. Big thanks to McCall and Paul for helping on Saturday. Sunday was spent struggling to learn a new CAD system and fighting with importing/exporting. And again late into tonight. Grr...

Got the old 318 engine on the stand (after buying some M12x1.75 x 90mmL bolts) and compacted the hoist. Picked up all of the E30 parts and put them on shelves, cleaned the floors (damn thing leaked coolant and oil everywhere), moved the XP car back in, and even got the M3 washed and back in the garage. This E30 needs a power washing under hood for sure, but it cleaned up fairly well on the outside.

We've decided to spend as little as possible on the E30 for now to get it running so we'll be ordering gaskets and some hoses, and as little else as possible. Of course I already got two new roundels to replace the trashed stock ones.
        Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
        2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
        EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Originally posted by John in Houston
          S, M... whatever It still has my intake on it, right? Guessing I'll never see the S50 replacement for that, huh?

Hankichemee = Throttle Body
          Woobie = Intake
          Send me your address and I'll ship you the intake. Woobie has forfited my M50 intake.

Comment

Originally posted by Teucci
            Send me your address and I'll ship you the intake. Woobie has forfited my M50 intake.
            Nah... STU won't allow me to use it. Sell it on Ebay for $150 and then have a drink (fruity Dr. Pepper) on me

You coming up for the Divisional? Offered Hanchey a co-drive at a regional while he is up here and he blew me off!

Comment

Fair... are you replacing the radiator? If not, then you need to get the o-ring for the bottom of the expansion tank. Every E30 318is I've seen has that bastige leaking. It's a $1.20 part... but if you fill the radiator and then have to pull it, you'll be pissed.

Also, you may want to get a new tensioner for the side of the new motor. Pops in the passenger side just below the head. Spring loaded... keeps the chains quiet. Think it was about $20. The only other leak I ever had was the valve cover. Might as well replace that before putting it in or you'll be chasing yet another leak.

Comment

Fair... are you replacing the radiator? If not, then you need to get the o-ring for the bottom of the expansion tank. Every E30 318is I've seen has that bastige leaking. It's a $1.20 part... but if you fill the radiator and then have to pull it, you'll be pissed.

Also, you may want to get a new tensioner for the side of the new motor. Pops in the passenger side just below the head. Spring loaded... keeps the chains quiet. Think it was about $20. The only other leak I ever had was the valve cover. Might as well replace that before putting it in or you'll be chasing yet another leak.
                Duly noted. Will add to our order along with...
                • Intake gaskets
                • Air inlet hose from TB to air meter (ripped)
                • Some heater hoses to replace the jumblefXXk of crap that it had under the intake
                • Oilpan gaskets
                • Oil filter
                • Spark plugs
                • Maybe a radiator hose or two

Trying to keep it on the cheep! Got the motor on the stand last night; Hanchey to bring a 2nd engine stand over this weekend to mount the donor engine up, then we'll start swapping parts over, gaskets, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!
                  Duly noted. Will add to our order along with...
                  • Intake gaskets
                  • Air inlet hose from TB to air meter (ripped)
                  • Some heater hoses to replace the jumblefXXk of crap that it had under the intake
                  • Oilpan gaskets
                  • Oil filter
                  • Spark plugs
                  • Maybe a radiator hose or two
                  • Engine that makes more than 35 horsepower
                  You left one item out!

Comment

Originally posted by Teucci
                    You left one item out!
                    ouch! But probably going to be the first thing out of my mouth on the maiden voyage.

"Oh F**K this is a dog! Let's go to pick-a-part and get a five liter..."

(only half serious) What was the issue with the 5.0L you started to put into your old 318, Teucci? I see that the brake booster is going to be a prblem with any wide engine, and of course most of the whole motor would be hanging way out in front Subie-style.... where else were there problems? The E30 engine bay is so much smaller than the E36!

If anyone ever did want to go fast at a $200X GRM Challenge in an E30 I think a $99 5.0L and T5 would be the engine of choice, given enough time and fabricaiton ability (neither of which I have much of!).

Here's an icy blast from the past. No reason.

Comment

Hey... are you using the photo of that motor without the owner's permission? Hmmm... are you

Comment

Hey... are you using the photo of that motor without the owner's permission? Hmmm... are you
                        Just look at the girl in the T-shirt... keep staring... (Terry sneaks off...)

Comment

Wonder why our website gets blocked....
                          Brian Hanchey
                          AST Suspension - USA

Comment

You are my hero. =)
                            '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
                            - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Saturday night, Jason McCall, 2.5 hours and 7 cans of brake cleaner later... the "new" but black goo covered engine and trans for the E30 are all clean and ready to go in!

Before... After

This was black from top to bottom. Not anymore. McCall Cleaned (tm).

The night before Hanchey built these reinforcement plates for the K-member (see the cracks, above-left picture). While Jason thrashed on cleaning Saturday I welded and ground the very cracked K-member, then added the reinforcement plates and painted them black. Sunday Hanchey and I built a custom set of motor mounts for the E30/M42.

The motor and trans are in (forgot to snap a pic) and the E36 based poly motor mounts look pretty good (probably not going to make these for production, tho). Hanchey made a nice parts list for some cheap stuff (belts, clips) but otherwise this puppy is going together with all old parts. Uberbudget build... for GRM $2008 Challenge? For a cheap street beater? Who knows. We sure don't!
                              Last edited by Fair!; 09-11-2007, 12:43 AM.

Comment

More E30 work (from a couple of weeks back):

L: Welded K-member plates ...... R: Custom length M42 engine mounts (poly)

Once the engine fired up it was smooth as butter, so the poly bushings worked out pretty well for the little 4 banger!
                                Last edited by Fair!; 09-11-2007, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X