View Single Post
Unread 05-26-2015, 01:22 PM
I blame the internet

Default Re: Vorshlag Budget TT Build: Project DANGER ZONE

continued from above

Could we have rebuilt the OEM Delco-Bilsteins instead? Sure, but there were two problems with this idea. First, the time frame we had to build this car back in January (2 weeks) wasn't going to give us enough time to have the old shocks rebuilt. While we are a Bilstein Motorsports dealer, we still don't have the $5000 fill rig necessary to refill the Nitrogen charge in this particular style Bilstein (and that's all it works on). Secondly, if we had said we had these shocks rebuilt, who would have believed we had kept the OEM valving?? We make and sell shocks for a living! That would have been the first thing people assumed - shock guys, cheater rebuild.

These have been sitting in a box in my office since January, in case we were forced to rebuild and use them.

The proof about what came in the 1992 model base coupes is shown below, which are some pages from GM documents which I haven't shown before (Jason researched and found this cache of GM documents for the 1992 model Y-body). There are hundreds of pages of period documents on this version of the C4, so have fun digging.

We knew these Delco-Bilstein monotubes were the stock dampers but apparently some folks didn't even believe that. So I'm showing this now, since I was warned that I'd lose a protest even if we put these old blown out shocks back on without showing documented proof of the OEM fitments. Guilty until proven innocent, but I guess with a build shown this publicly I should expect this level of scrutiny.

After looking for the exact OEM replacement shocks back in January we found that we could no longer buy these Delco-Bilsteins anywhere, for any amount of money. Not from GM, not from Bilstein, and there were no "New Old Stock" dampers available anywhere (if you find any, please send the link my way!). So, from my SCCA background on similar "stock replacement equivilent" issues we "assumed" that a close alternative replacement to the OEM dampers would be allowed. So we looked and found a set of shocks that were the closest and still available new: Bilstein B6 monotube dampers that are listed in the Bilstein catalog for the 1992 base trim level Corvette. These are a whopping $85 per corner, retail, and we paid less that that with our direct dealer account.

And while I didn't go into this excruciating level of detail before, I hid none of this. We showed these B6 dampers in one of my first posts here, but I didn't show that there are about a dozen choices for the C4 from Bilstein... they make some for the base model, others for the Z51, some for different years, there's a B6 and a B8, and of course fronts and rears. This array of cheap Bilstein monotubes is what we chose from to get the two part numbers shown for the 1992 base model coupe, shown above left.

These are painfully similar to the OEM Delco-Bilsteins - they have the same 46mm pistons, same 50mm body diameter, the same shaft sizes, same body dimensions, and no external valving adjustment. You can see the details in the images below, which were captured from the "GM Heritage Center" database of records for 1992 model Corvettes at this link.

I have cleaned up these scans from 24 year old literature published for this 1992 model Corvette, and even highlighted the mention of Delco-Bilstein (its referenced on 6 different pages) and even the dimensions of the shocks. And the swaybars - which are still the OEM units. These Delco-Bilsteins are functionally identical to what we have been using (the $85 B6 dampers), but that's not good enough to be legal as +0 point shocks, they have to be the actual 24 year old Delco-Bilsteins, which we'd need a TIME MACHINE to get a hold of a new set in 2015.

GM doesn't keep original stock parts on hand for more than 10 years, but they instead have a "generic replacement part number" that supersedes the original 1992 shock part numbers. This replacement part number is shown for all 1989-1996 Corvettes without the adjustable (FX3) dampers. Its a $28 piece of crap twin tube shock that is so dissimilar to the 1992 model OEM damper that its almost funny. Not gonna happen on my car, no way.

Anyway, long story short - we are now sending the old and blown OEM dampers (shown above) directly to Bilstein, having them rebuild them, and then asking them to include documentation that they didn't alter the valving in any way. I'll have them seal the shocks in tamper-proof tape if they can, too. And someone will probably still accuse us of cheating, oh well. These "cheater" B6 Bilsteins will be for sale here soon after - cheap!

I wish I could take people for a ride in this car on track with these B6 Bilsteins. Well, with no right seat that ain't gonna happen. Any way, the C4 on these shocks rides like a big underdamped mess at speed. This is not a great set of dampers, not by a long shot. But they are just the closest thing we can find to OEM that isn't leaking. At $85 per corner, you get what you pay for. But that's not good enough - I have to use actual OEM shocks, not OEM replacements, or take +2 points (and move to TTB). And the burden of proof is on the DRIVER.

Whatever the answers to life's big questions, we're going to make SURE this car is squeaky clean at Nationals. If I get protested over some bullsh*t non-performance hidden rule detail, I'm going to share it here for all the world to see. Hopefully, after this 5 part protest and the resulting changes we will make to 4 items, it will be smooth sailing from here on out.

What's Next?

We're desperately trying to get the motor back and installed in time to make Hallett June 13-14, but time is not on our side. I'd also like to get the following changes, modifications and completed before NASA Nationals East:
  • Since my red Suzuka trade fell through after the fact (not my fault), we have to install a new driverís seat (black Cobra Suzuka GT width Kevlar seat just arrived)
  • Add a massive oil catch can + breather system to the motor
  • Add aftermarket oil pressure, oil temp and water temp gauges
  • Install poly bushings throughout + machine offset Delrin bushings where needed
  • Design and build front brake cooling + new braided brake lines
  • Build support frame for rear plexiglass hatch and install
  • Move full sized battery to rear cubby hole + rewire main battery cable with main power kill
  • Make aluminum covers for ABS and battery cubby holes
  • Take car for interior paint + cage paint, exterior repairs + left side and front end paint
  • Complete the new livery package with stripes #RAMPAGE
  • Spend last point on proper custom cold air and hood venting

Lots planned before Nationals, and some of it might be protest bait, so we might hold off if it seems unnecessary. Again, the way that the internet protest went down was a bit weird, but look at this build thread - the pictures, the details I'm sharing, the SMACK talk in my first post? I probably should expect this level of scrutiny more often.

That's all for now - will update once the motor is back! Thanks for reading,

Last edited by Fair!; 08-05-2015 at 07:18 PM.