Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vorshlag 1991 BMW 318is

Pictures. http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/gallery/3000491#162733326

Explanation of this one-year-model: http://www.esatclear.ie/~bpurcell/318isengine.html

Its a real deal '91 318is (only made it that one year) - has all of the airdams, spoilers, and trim specific to this car plus the OE basket weave 14x6.5" wheels. No LSD for this one (optional) but we can always get that. Motor is popped but we have another M42 in the shop that will go in there... or the M50 from the XP3 car?

What to do with it?
    • STX/S?
    • DSP?
    • Dedicated track wh0re?
    • CCA Club Racing car (Prepared, Mod?)
    • Nice daily driver?
    • Dirty old beater?
    • E30 test car for new goodies?
    • GRM $200_ Challenge car?
    • Suggestions?

One of our R&D projects on the books was an S50/M50 - E30 conversion motor mount (a popular engine swap). We have one of these locally we can use for fit testing on the mount we designed, though. We might have access to some S50/52s soon (from LS1 conversions) but we already have a running M50B25 (2.5L I-6) that is about to get yanked out of our E36.

Suspension mods are a given! We have E30 AST adjustable shock testing slated as well as several Mason Engineering pieces lined up, our camber plates, etc. But what class to build it for - that's the question. We can't decide on spring rates and wheel selection (big or REALLY big) until we figure out what to build it for.

DSP is tempting... remember, we're not opposed to some weird update/backdate swaps if it can make for a GOOD, competitive combination. That's what we'd like to do with the car - something cool, utilizing some smart mods and maximizing the car's competitiveness... be is BMWCCA Club racing, SCCA Autocrossing, or even GRM competition. Its wide open right now...

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Fair!; 01-21-2008, 05:10 PM.
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Re: Vorshlag 1991 BMW 318is

Yes send it back to where it came from ... to me.

You know my adress, it will be my Autobahn and Ring tool.

Besides shipping you dont have to pay for anything.

Fair you know that is a great deal

Comment

Let me know if you have any questions on this car. I had a 91 318is for about a year and found most (if not all) of it's weaknesses.

Very sturdy car and got awesome gas mileage. Total turd down low, but was very light and tossable and LOVED to rev. Ice cold AC, awesome brakes (for a light car)... man, I almost miss it (other than the fact that it would be a bug-splat on the front of an SUV if you got hit!).

Comment

I'd throw in the I4 you have sitting in the garage and make it a beater as quick as possible. Why not since it would cost you almost nothing. You know the longer it sits, the less chance it gets touched. Put all the suspension stuff on it for street testing and eventually either turbo-charge it or pull that motor for a I-6 install.

You two already have class-built cars so just make this one a fun street car for the forseeable future.
        McCall

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M44

The M44B19 was a 1.9 L (1895 cc) version producing 138 hp (103 kW) and 133 ft·lbf (180 Nm). It used Bosch M5.2 fuel injection.

Applications:
          • 1996-2000 E36 318iS/318ti
          • 1996-2001 Z3 1.9

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M42

Displacement for the M42B18 was 1.8 L (1796 cc). E30 318iS, 318i (in the U.S.; European versions of the 318i were fitted with the M40 engine), and early E36 318iS/318ti (prior to 1992) models were fitted with versions producing 100 kW (134 HP) and 172 N·m (127 ft·lbf). Later, change in the overhead cam design helped to achieve 103 kW (138 HP) and 175 N·m (129 ft·lbf) coping with the increased weight of the E36 models. The engine uses Bosch M1.7 fuel injection.

Applications:

• 1989-1991 E30 318iS/U.S. model 318i
          • 1992-1996 E36 318iS/318ti

I got this from the interweb so it MUST be true!

Honestly - I don't know what is right anymore. M42?M44? Lets call it "the wee little four"...
          Last edited by hancheyb; 09-24-2007, 01:59 PM.

Comment

M44 is an OBDII engine and is 1.9L. Our two motors are 1.8L
            Brian Hanchey
            AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Ahh... more of that OBD2 shenanigans

I still think you should have offered Teucci $25 for Woobies E30 318is. It already has the M50/M52 motor in it... just needs some wrapping up. Of course, there are probably weedwacker marks around it since it was sitting in the yard for so long

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!
                That's the current plan - install the M42 engine we have from Scooter's car and get it running as a nice street beater/test mule. Pounds some miles on something that gets 36mpg instead of our M3, STi or 6.0L truck.

Any volunteers to help with a motor swap this weekend? I've got a weekend without a race, for once!
                There is an ER event at Pennington on Sunday (June 17th) but I can help you Saturday.
                '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
                - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Here are my bets:

# Dirty old beater
                  # E30 test car for new goodies
                  # Tommy's next daily driver when he gets tired of commuting in the Jeep

Looks cool, but pretty near the BMW equivalent of a Nomad if you want to make it nice and/or fast.
                  Last edited by C3; 06-15-2007, 09:21 AM.
                  Teucci has a good point about trannies - Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by John in Houston
                    Ahh... more of that OBD2 shenanigans

I still think you should have offered Teucci $25 for Woobies E30 318is. It already has the M50/M52 motor in it... just needs some wrapping up. Of course, there are probably weedwacker marks around it since it was sitting in the yard for so long
                    LOL! Is got a S52 3.2L in it..

Actually planning on loading it up and dumping it a Barry's house next weekend. Tired of looking at it.. and I don't see him having the money to finish it any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by C3
                      Looks cool, but pretty near the BMW equivalent of a Nomad if you want to make it nice and/or fast.
                      Now THAT was funny!
                      Brian Hanchey
                      AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
                        Now THAT was funny!
                        So why is my Nomad always the butt of jokes? Haters! It's an investment! It's an investment!!
                        McCall

Comment

Originally posted by Teucci
                          LOL! Is got a S52 3.2L in it.
                          S, M... whatever It still has my intake on it, right? Guessing I'll never see the S50 replacement for that, huh?

Hankichemee = Throttle Body
                          Woobie = Intake

Comment

Originally posted by Teucci
                            LOL! Is got a S52 3.2L in it..

Actually planning on loading it up and dumping it a Barry's house next weekend. Tired of looking at it.. and I don't see him having the money to finish it any time soon.
                            Dibs on the Woobie E30! (I'll give ya fifty bucks for it!)

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!
                              Dibs on the Woobie E30! (I'll give ya fifty bucks for it!)
                              It's a non-sunroof car also

Comment

Working...
                              X