Diesel Fuel Tech Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel Fuel Tech Question

I guess the good news and bad news about having full gauges on your truck is that you know exactly what is going on. Stuart and I are driving to Homestead, Fl at the moment towing our trailer. So we have a lot of time to play with this.

We have an EGT gauge on the truck and a tuner module. I have the tuner set to "defuel" at 1250* F. You aren't supposed to go over 1300*. Yesterday climbing hills on I-20 we had to turn off the cruise control because it would keep hitting the Defuel mark. You could climb the hill driving it yourself as long as it didn't kick down. We were limited to 65 mph or so climbing. We just figured this was normal.

Towards the end of the day, the truck was running much differently. I was driving climbing hills going 75 mph never touching 1150*. Hitting 80 once having to pass someone quickly. And it was warmer outside too. The only thing we can figure out is that the two times the truck ran better were on Chevron diesel. Every time we put discount diesel in, it ran hotter. I'm thinking it could be lack of cetane. I know they recommend cetane booster. Perhaps the cheap stuff short cuts cetane content and Chevron doesn't.

Any thoughts? We're going to buy Cetane booster today and try it out. I know every technician I talk to says how terrible diesel fuel is. Maybe there *is* a difference.

Brian
    Brian Hanchey
    AST Suspension - USA

Re: Diesel Fuel Tech Question

Wow, never knew it mattered. Guess I better get a diesel tuner/EGT.
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Re: Diesel Fuel Tech Question

NEVER EVER EVER EVER RUN DISCOUNT FUEL..

This applies to Diesel and regular gasoline. They suck. 7 years of service department experience and I can tell you some stories...

I tracked my duramax fuel mileage every stop for 80k miles. The worst mileage I ever got was always always with crap fuel. Stop at the good stations, pay the extra few cents and go about your business.

Too much to type here, we'll catch up in person/phone, but you have just witnessed why you should never run that crap. EVAR!!!!

BONUS! It clogs your filters faster too.....wahoo!!!

Costas
      cars and such...

Comment

Working...
      X