Picked up a good DS car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up a good DS car

2009 Base WRX Sedan, SPT CBE and short shifter.

Probably going to run DS with it for the next 2 years because I have never driven AWD before and have to learn. There doesn't seem to be any shocks for it yet. Two questions though, are subframe bushing limitors legal (vorshlag should make some), and has anyone tried getting 245/45/17s on a 7 inch wide rim. Or should I just stick with 235/45.

Re: Picked up a good DS car

I like the color! The Vorshlag guys could probably give you a definitive answer on tire size, but 235 is probably going to be the max. Did they give you a good deal?
    -Sean Martin
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood View Post
      I like the color! The Vorshlag guys could probably give you a definitive answer on tire size, but 235 is probably going to be the max. Did they give you a good deal?
      I'm sure there are better deals out there, but I got the car just the way I wanted with the Cat back, Short throw, grill, and decent wheels, plus the stock wheels. Ended up getting it for 2k less than they were asking, with all the parts installed. The car I traded was a 330i zhp, and that I got more than the book value, but those cars seem to be worth alot more to some people so I might have been able to do better there.

Comment

Ding - welcome to the Vorshlag forum!

Originally posted by ding View Post
        I'm sure there are better deals out there, but I got the car just the way I wanted with the Cat back, Short throw, grill, and decent wheels, plus the stock wheels. Ended up getting it for 2k less than they were asking, with all the parts installed. The car I traded was a 330i zhp, and that I got more than the book value, but those cars seem to be worth alot more to some people so I might have been able to do better there.
        You need to make sure those added mods are "Stock" legal... just because they are parts made by Subaru or a parts division Subaru, many or all dealer installed options aren't "Stock" class legal. If its a factory installed option, then you're golden. It sucks, but it keeps dealerships from installing giant wheels, turbos, and other bits onto cars and confusing the already murky rules of Stock class.

As for DStock competitiveness... yes a 2.5L turbo WRX has been a solid DStock car. Karen Kraus (an AST/Vorshlag tester) won DStock Ladies Solo National Championship in 2007 and ProSolo L1 National Championship in 2008 with her WRX. She reads this board and might reply if she sees this thread.

Karen is running her car in ESP class for 2009 with new AST 5200s, big 295mm wide Hoosiers and more power. We have a good feeling she'll do well in ESP this year, too... no pressure Karen!

We can make AST coilovers legal for DStock in several varieties, of course. In fact we have some 5100s for the GR chassis WRX in stock that would be a great starting point.

For SCCA Solo Stock classes we take an AST coilover strut and turn it into a strut that can utilize OEM springs by making a threaded lower spring perch from a donor set of front struts (see above). The rears are much easier on a GR chassis Subaru, and don't require anything special to be built to utilize the stock rear springs. Here's an example we've done for several AStock 2008+ STIs (which are nearly identical to your WRX):

This picture above is a weird hybrid mix of AST 4200 fronts and 5200 rears setup for an AStock 2008 STI. The 5000 series front strut would instead be inverted and have the larger 45mm shafts and rebound adjustment. If you get extremely serious about DStock, an AST 5200 double adjustable (below) goes to the limit of the Stock class rules, and includes remote reservoirs, adjustable Nitrogen pressures, and separate rebound and compression adjustments. Way cool stuff!

Anyway, not trying to get too "sales-y" here.... even if you don't go with ASTs we're still here to help.
        Last edited by Fair!; 07-24-2009, 09:48 PM.
        Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
        2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
        EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Originally posted by Fair! View Post
          Ding - welcome to the Vorshlag forum!

You need to make sure those added mods are "Stock" legal... just because they are parts made by Subaru or a parts division Subaru, many or all dealer installed options aren't "Stock" class legal. If its a factory installed option, then you're golden. It sucks, but it keeps dealerships from installing giant wheels, turbos, and other bits onto cars and confusing the already murky rules of Stock class.

As for DStock competitiveness... yes a 2.5L turbo WRX has been a solid DStock car. Karen Kraus (an AST/Vorshlag tester) won DStock Ladies Solo National Championship in 2007 and ProSolo L1 National Championship in 2008 with her WRX. She reads this board and might reply if she sees this thread.

Karen is running her car in ESP class for 2009 with new AST 5200s, big 295mm wide Hoosiers and more power. We have a good feeling she'll do well in ESP this year, too... no pressure Karen!

We can make AST coilovers legal for DStock in several varieties, of course. In fact we have some 5100s for the GR chassis WRX in stock that would be a great starting point.

For SCCA Solo Stock classes we take an AST coilover strut and turn it into a strut that can utilize OEM springs by making a threaded lower spring perch from a donor set of front struts (see above). The rears are much easier on a GR chassis Subaru, and don't require anything special to be built to utilize the stock rear springs. Here's an example we've done for several AStock 2008+ STIs (which are nearly identical to your WRX):

This picture above is a weird hybrid mix of AST 4200 fronts and 5200 rears setup for an AStock 2008 STI. The 5000 series front strut would instead be inverted and have the larger 45mm shafts and rebound adjustment. If you get extremely serious about DStock, an AST 5200 double adjustable (below) goes to the limit of the Stock class rules, and includes remote reservoirs, adjustable Nitrogen pressures, and separate rebound and compression adjustments. Way cool stuff!

Anyway, not trying to get too "sales-y" here.... even if you don't go with ASTs we're still here to help.
          Good post, I think I may have talked you to you a while back about rtab limiters for my 330i zhp, we talked about how you use to mod crown vics and c******s. So I'm a long time reader, first time poster.

I thought I read that port installed parts, as subaru did the parts on my car are considered stock legal, not that it matters so much because CBE is legal, I think. I'll have to read about the short throw shifter. I was wondering if your limiters on the rtabs are considered stock legal, because then I would assume the ones made for the suby subframe would be as well.

As for the ASTs thats a very interesting idea, how much did that setup cost. I know ASTs aren't cheap, but I have only heard good things about them, might be worth it if I get serious with this car.

I have a autocross tomorrow, but the car only has 500 miles on it, so I'm going to run my buddys NA miata, should be interesting.

Comment

haha so C-a-p-r-i-c-e is blocked, I wondered about that in your car news, because it made the links not work.

Comment

haha so C-a-p-r-i-c-e is blocked, I wondered about that in your car news, because it made the links not work.
              That is the word which must not be spoken!

Comment

I actually have a nice set of impala SS rims I bought for a clone I was starting, ending up building a better verison of the 454ss and put those wheels on my silverado.

Comment

Well took first in EP in a miata I have never driven before. Even beat the owner.

Comment

hey ding i have an white 09 wrx hatch with the the short shifter it is legal if it is the STI one from the factory but that is it no other is legal. and yes you can fit 245 on a 7in rim i did it on mine with no problem (this is race rubber i am talking about). i have put a 24 whiteline FSB and it works really good. i would really look in to the 5200 ASTs for our cars i know that is what i am going to get. i talked to terry at the SWDIV at TMS a few weekends ago and i was right our car needs the 5200. i have have done about 66 runs with my wrx and yes it needs shocks bad that is for sure good luck. also take a look at these two forums might help.
                    www.nasioc.com - there is a post about 09 in DS in motorsports\autocross
                    www.clubwrx.net- look for a thread by bigsky he has a 09 wrx as well

Comment

Originally posted by autoXsp33d7 View Post
                      hey ding i have an white 09 wrx hatch with the the short shifter it is legal if it is the STI one from the factory but that is it no other is legal. and yes you can fit 245 on a 7in rim i did it on mine with no problem (this is race rubber i am talking about). i have put a 24 whiteline FSB and it works really good. i would really look in to the 5200 ASTs for our cars i know that is what i am going to get. i talked to terry at the SWDIV at TMS a few weekends ago and i was right our car needs the 5200. i have have done about 66 runs with my wrx and yes it needs shocks bad that is for sure good luck. also take a look at these two forums might help.
                      www.nasioc.com - there is a post about 09 in DS in motorsports\autocross
                      www.clubwrx.net- look for a thread by bigsky he has a 09 wrx as well
                      just read through that massive thread on nasioc, some good info on there, just what I was looking for. I am having a problem finding that FSB for sale anywhere. Does your 09 clunk in hard 1-2 shifts, it may just be my fault as I'm use to shifting mustangs and bmws, which you can shift hard and chirp.

Ok edit, I just found the FSB at fredbeans, does the large front sway bar induce more understeer though?
                      Last edited by ding; 07-29-2009, 10:48 AM.

Comment

just read through that massive thread on nasioc, some good info on there, just what I was looking for. I am having a problem finding that FSB for sale anywhere. Does your 09 clunk in hard 1-2 shifts, it may just be my fault as I'm use to shifting mustangs and bmws, which you can shift hard and chirp.

Ok edit, I just found the FSB at fredbeans, does the large front sway bar induce more understeer though?
                        yea it does induce a bit more which does suck but once you get shocks this should be fixed. i have notice one thing the car will rotate a good amount on off throttle I am still working on getting the tire pressures right on the V710s that I am using right now. I have found that about 32psi in the rear is nice but do not take this with much information I am still trying to find the right PSI for the car. I will be working on this in the next event that we have in Aug. like i said before look at the venders on clubwrx.net they have the bar for a good price and look for bigsky's write up it is good on our cars but he decide to use the koni's not the AST like what we are looking for.

Comment

Ding, I just saw this thread (yeah, like Terry said, I do lurk hereabouts).

If you're looking for the WL front bar, you can try IAG Performance. I would use either the stock endlinks or solid endlinks (like Kartboy ones), as the adjustable (spherical/Heim joints) ones I was using with mine were crap. If I go back to using a FSB (my current ESP setup is sans front bar), I will be using the Kartboy ones.

As for the AST 5200s... I like mine. Some of the ST/STS guys at the event I was at in Atlanta this past weekend were oogling them too (even the guys with Motons!).
                          Karen Kraus
                          2006 Subaru Impreza WRX (ESP34)
                          IAG Performance | Vorshlag Motorsports | MODE Racing
                          2010 NorthEast Division ESP Champion | 2009 National ESPL Champion | 2008 ProSolo L1 Champion
                          2007 National DSL Champion | 2005 SouthEast Division FS Champion

Comment

Nice thanks for the extra info, I just passed break in miles and changed the Oil in filter, and boy does 6500 rpms feel good. I'm going to hope I can pick up that bar before the National Street Tire Challenge in Sept., but I might be running bone stock, which will just make me notice the FSB more I guess.

Comment

You know, I have a custom made front bar that was designed for the AS guys, it is 29mm solid. You might want to use that instead for DS.
                              '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
                              - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Working...
                              X