Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEW! AST 4100 coilovers for Mustang (2005+ S197 chassis)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW! AST 4100 coilovers for Mustang (2005+ S197 chassis)

Another new AST coilover kit for an American built chassis - the hugely popular 2005-up Mustang S197 chassis. These cars have been built and sold in the hundreds of thousands, and we always see them at autocrosses and track events, so we worked with AST to develop these shocks. Vorshlag also built camber-caster plates for this chassis, of course.

Above: The AST S197 shocks

Install Gallery: http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/gallery/6728817_5EGzk

The fronts are 4200 style, with compression adjustment on bottom. Rear shocks are too short for "internal doubles" (would need remote reservoirs) so we went with 4100 singles.

We are still working on this install in the shop, and should have everything installed, sorted and race ready this week. We'll post more of the set-up details in the Street Touring Discussions forum, and a few more pictures here as well.
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Re: NEW! AST 4100 coilovers for Mustang (2005+ S197 chassis)

Well, this has not yet been updated fully, but I will add to it.

The car is pretty low. I have not yet gone up against a full fledged speed bump. Though, I must say that other than a wrongfully set entry into Mom's driveway, and Dad's painfully long gravel road I have not had any problems. The one excellent sidemark to this is that I gained 1-1.5mpg on the highway.

As a "feel" comparison, when I first stepped foot in the car the AST's were set at full hard. The ride quality was still better than the Tokico's and stock springs on the car. Comparitive to my Mom's 94 GT *only stock mustang I have sitting around*, my car is firmer, but I like the ride quality much better. Please, do not convey this to Mom.

I will have to refer to Terry to see what the weight split ended up being on the car. The front does need to come up. We talked breifly about spring lengths, but after looking at the stance, driving, and feeling the car I think the fronts will need to have a extra 2" in length. I removed the wheel to work on the endlinks *I got off the one stuck one and replaced it with zinc plated material* and measured about 4" of adjustment *without changing the location of the swaybar endlink bracket on the strut body*. Right now all that is allowed is to lower the car more since the settings are at the top of its range. Also, just as a side note. The control arm is just above parallel to the ground, which may also give a reason to go with a longer spring.

Rear rate on the car is good right now. I hope to make it to the track for some testing prior to getting in for some planned changes to double check this. The car rotates much better than prior. I do think that the front rates are a little low. Though the I have yet to feel the car push. Its just a feel thing for me I guess, but again, I want to track test it and get some more firm information to support this. After saying all of this, if the kit was put out for someone that wanted a mainly street car and only partial autocross ride I would back off the rates approximately 50 pounds all around.
    '06 Mustang GT
    VTPP!!!

Comment

Working...
    X