2010 Camaro Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Camaro Discussion

Now that we have pricing on the various Camaro/RS/SS option packages I figured it was time to discuss the new 2010 Camaro with respect to racers, suspension, specs, and classing. We have all seen the pictures, and the prices are remarkably low, but what about the technical aspects of the Camaro?

Question: Will it be 4000 pounds like the Challenger or a more reasonable 3500 pounds like the Mustang?

The LS3 power plant looks promising, and makes 430-436 hp in the C6 Corvette. Even with a few hundred more pounds it should still be fast - and for $15K less than a C6!

Perusing the various option packages shows a variety of wheel diameters, but no mention of wheel widths. 18", 19" and even (ugh) 20" wheels, and as with all modern sports cars, the "higher performance" packages get strapped with the larger diameters. Funny thing is - there is no performance advantage to going to larger diameter wheels, and in fact the competition tire options get VERY bad VERY quickly above 18" diameter.

Question: Can anyone make heads or tails of the wheel choices? What packages can use what wheels, what are the widths, and do the wheel packages change other things like spring rates????

Question: Anyone have the real specs of the V8 powered cars such as wheelbase, track width, weight, and a breakdown of all performance options?

I crawled underneath the Camaro, Challenger, G8 and other new models at the recent State Fair car show and we will probably make AST shocks for them all. It looks like the G8 and Camaro share the front suspension - need to check the SEMA files to verify. The interior of the G8 and Camaro were both very impressive - GM has come a long way. Likewise, the Challenger and new Dodge 1/2 ton are also pretty sharp inside and out.

Anything you have to share about the Camaro please add here. If it gets enough discussion I'll make this a sticky. I'm sure someone on this forum will buy one, and if they are light enough and/or classed well we might try to get our hands on one - who knows?
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Re: 2010 Camaro Discussion

Jason McCall, step right up! Sam wants a Camaro.
    Brian Hanchey
    AST Suspension - USA

Comment

The wheel choices are like with any "performance" package. The more aggressive cars (RS, SS) get the larger wheels and the lesser cars get the smaller wheels. Your preaching to the choir about the performance of large wheels; its all about pimp factor with most people, though. I wouldn't even consider a larger wheel than an 18" on my Mustang, but yet the GT500KR has 20"s . . .
      Jason Newman,
      2005 Mustang GT
      1995 Mustang GT 5.0
      York Pump & Equipment, a DXP Company

Comment

The wheels are going to be to tall and thin for it to be competive with stock wheels. If it goes in to F stock
        Hunter

Ladies and Gentlemen this is your captain speaking. Please put your collars in the upright and POPed position.

Comment

I have a very low view for this car in stock. It has the power and everything, Im sure the suspension is there, but you cannot get a 8" wide wheel till it gets upwards of the SS version. Then you can get a 8"X20" wheel in the front with a 9"X20" in the rear. Otherwise, even on 18's its sitting on 7.5"X18" wheels. I would have to say simply to small to play with in FS *which it would get thrown Im sure*

This would equate to a 245 max tire? Anything in the tire sizes out there *which I have yet to really look* would not be able to stack up to the 295 you can wrap on a Mustang Rim. This is debateable on the oversizing, but I will still grab for this size over a 275 on the 18's. I will still grab for a 275 over a smaller on the 17's. I have been faster on a stretched tire then a "correct" size.

I think the real question is when you see people cutting weight, doing the SP mods, and going there. Thats going to be a killer. I know the S197 could be made to keep up with Madarash and the top ESP dogs, the camaro though......If you can get 400 pounds outta it, and it can handle at least as good as the Mustangs, with all the extra power this thing could KILL.

Who has a WHOLE LOTTA CASH?
          IMHO of course.

*edit* Cause I can't proofread!
          '06 Mustang GT
          VTPP!!!

Comment

One good thing about the price is if the performance is all that matters, you've got everything you need in that base 1SS model for $30,995.

Remember, this is based on the same heavy platform as the G8. The Challenger didn't lose much weight off the Charger, so don't expect miracles. The first drive of the Camaro V6 articles suggested about 3800lbs for the V6. I would expect the V8 to be in the 3900-4000 range. However, it will still probably handle better than the Mustang since it has IRS and a more modern suspension set up than the 4th gen.

From what I know, the V8 will only come with one suspension, the "FE3" one. The wheel options will change just that, the wheels. All V8 cars will come with 20s, and you know how hard finding R-comps is even on 19s. I would imagine the size of those 20s would be the same as the optional 20s on the RS package V6 we saw at the state fair (245/45-20 Front, 275/40-20 Rear). If the V8 model only comes with 20s does that mean stock class can only use the same or can they use the 18s/19s from the V6 models (theoretically, I'm not thinking about fitting over brakes)?

As far as I know, no dimensions have been released. The LS3 V8 in the Camaro will make 422hp and 408lb-ft torque, a slight drop from the Vette. For those getting an automatic, they will get the 400hp/395lb-ft L99 engine.

Not that the V6 version matters to us, but GM is saying 6.1 seconds to 60mph and 14.5@97mph in the 1/4. They have not announced performance of the SS model yet.
            -Sean Martin
            2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Just to add,

http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro/pdf/...ifications.pdf

Not so sure how correct it is, but have a look.
              '06 Mustang GT
              VTPP!!!

Comment

Whoa, nice find! I would say it's probably fairly correct considering the source is Chevy's own website...

Weight: 3860lbs with manual transmission
                Wheelbase: 112.3in
                Track Width: 63.7in
                Wheel size: 20x8 F, 20x9 rear

I still don't see any performance options. You get everything at $30,995.
                Last edited by Redwood; 10-14-2008, 04:47 PM.
                -Sean Martin
                2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

112" wheel base!?!?! that's 5" more than an E36 M3 and 8" more than an Evo X
                  Brian Hanchey
                  AST Suspension - USA

Comment

It has an 11 inch longer wheelbase than the 4th gen, but is 2 inches shorter in length.
                    -Sean Martin
                    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Working...
                    X