NEW! AST 4100 coilovers on VW GTI/Golf Mark V

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW! AST 4100 coilovers on VW GTI/Golf Mark V

Just installed the first ever 4100 kit on Matt's 2006 VW GTI and we wanted to post a couple of pics. AST has made Sportline 1 kits for these for a while but this is the first Vorshlag spec'd rebound only set-up made for this model.

Left: Before picture - it was a baller set-up with some cheap, non-gas Koni coilovers. Bumpstop rider. Right: With the 4100s installed we raised the car over an inch front and rear, increased the spring rate all around (and went with linear, 60mm springs), and improved ride quality to boot.

Left: We ditched the included progressive rear spring (used in the Sportline 1 kit). The 4100 kit uses a rear 200mm L x 60mm ID coilover spring, which fit perfectly with the AST rear ride height adjusters. Right: Rear shock is inverted due to a blind upper mount. Concentric rear rebound adjuster is very cool - lay down, reach in and adjust. No other adjustable shock on the market works this well on VWs.

Left: Installation was "fun" up front. Just jacking up the car is a multi-step process. Right: I had to drop the RF control arm, pop out the halfshaft, and spread the strut mount to get the old ones out and new ASTs in. This set-up is made to work with the factory upper strut mount/bearing - of course we'll have a Vorshlag camber plate for the car as well, soon.

The front upper strut opening is hidden under a plastic cowl cover. I cut out a hole for access to the rebound adjuster and it worked out better than hoped. Hanchey has finished the camber plate drawings, I just need to dimension them and get some prototypes cut.

We're excited that the 4100 kit install went as well as it did and can't wait to tackle the next car in line. The Corvette 4100 install from the previous week went equally as well, too. I need to post those pics next.
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev
Working...
X