E90 AutoX Setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E90 AutoX Setup

So, being a native Dallas-ite, I did my duty and picked up an '07 335i e90 /w sport pkg.

I'm looking for some pointers for autoX setup in stock.

Wheels - Came with the 18" 162s. I'll probably buy some cheap used OEMs, are any of the models better than others? Any preference of 17" vs 18"? Are the E90/E92 wheels completely interchangeable? Any offset diffs?

Brake Pads - It's still under free maint, should I just flog the crap out of the brakes while its free, and then look for replacements?

Tires - How terrible are the Bridgestone RFs for autox? Whats my best option for some Rs when I do pickup new wheels?

Struts - Whats a good balance of performance/value? Koni SAs?

Any other must haves while still staying in stock?

Re: E90 AutoX Setup

Originally posted by Ricky
    So, being a native Dallas-ite, I did my duty and picked up an '07 335i e90 /w sport pkg.
    Please provide pic of BMW and Black leather jacket
    Hunter

Ladies and Gentlemen this is your captain speaking. Please put your collars in the upright and POPed position.

Comment

I would flog the crap out of the brakes while it's free, but those OEMs sure do suck for brake dust. Hawk HP+ if available will dust, be a little noisy, but rock at autocross. My Hawk HPS do fine for occasional (very occasional in my case) and are low dusting. Axxis Ultimates are also a good compromise, if available. Good for autocross, but less dusting than OEM.

OEM wheels are going to be heavy as heck. I would look into D-Force wheels, which Vorshlag does happen to sell. Strong & light, and very reasonably priced. They are much lighter than the OEM wheels.

The Bridgestone Runflats are pricey, but should perform "ok" at an autocross, just don't expect to win. If you plan on replacing them with runflats, you might rethink the abuse after you see the price.

I would suggest AST suspension stuff, but that would boot you out of stock class.
      -Sean Martin
      2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood
        I would flog the crap out of the brakes while it's free, but those OEMs sure do suck for brake dust. Hawk HP+ if available will dust, be a little noisy, but rock at autocross. My Hawk HPS do fine for occasional (very occasional in my case) and are low dusting. Axxis Ultimates are also a good compromise, if available. Good for autocross, but less dusting than OEM.

OEM wheels are going to be heavy as heck. I would look into D-Force wheels, which Vorshlag does happen to sell. Strong & light, and very reasonably priced. They are much lighter than the OEM wheels.

The Bridgestone Runflats are pricey, but should perform "ok" at an autocross, just don't expect to win. If you plan on replacing them with runflats, you might rethink the abuse after you see the price.

I would suggest AST suspension stuff, but that would boot you out of stock class.
        Actually, we can and do make AST's for stock class .
        Matt @ Vorshlag Motorsports

Comment

Koni, Schmony! You cannot even compare monotube AST shocks to those things.

Originally posted by Faerus
          Actually, we can and do make AST's for stock class .
          Matt is right - we've got AST single and double adjustables for E90s already built and we even make SCCA Solo Stock class legal lower perches to work with the rules for that class and organization...

Above: Set-up we custom built for Richard James & Jason Isley's 335i FStock car being tested for SPORTS CAR magazine

Lately we've built several double adjustables for Stock class racers, including these custom 4200RR shocks for an A Stock 2008 Subaru STI racer:

Left: Custom threaded lower OEM style perches for use on AST coilovers.
          Right: AST4200 Double Adjustables with Remote Reservoirs made especially for SCCA Stock class

Our E90 section lists both AST 4100 singles and 4200 doubles and even has the custom OEM style threaded lower perches under the "Options" at the bottom of the 4200 page.
          Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
          2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
          EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Stock class autocrosser here...

1. You can only use 17" wheels if the 335 was offered that as an option (if it is part of a "package" you have to have the entire package).
            2. The wheels have to be stock diameter, width and within .25" in offset. That probably rules out those really great looking D-force wheels b/c they are probably wider than stock.
            3. Stock brake pads are probably great for autocross. Most recent stock brakes in performance cars are more than enough for autocrossing but can't handle the heat of track use.
            4. If you're new to autocross I'd suggest using the stock tires as a sacraficial set to get as much seat time as possible. When you can use them to their full potential and they need to be replaced there are plenty of stickier options to be found (Bridgestone RE01R, Dunlop Star Spec, Yoko Advan Neova...)
            5. Off the shelf Koni single adjustables are a great budget choice. I've never driven a stock class car with them that I didn't like.
            6. The only other stock class modifications that you didn't mention are a drop in airfilter, front sway bar, alignment and cat back exhaust. I'm not sure how E90s react to a bigger front bar, an alignment is a must and a turbo car generally benefits from a free flow exhaust.
            7. If you're new to autocross I'd steer clear of R-comps until you get some more experience.
            Thomas
            AST '04 S2000 (STR)
            '04 R32 with AST 4100s

Comment

-Ohhh, my bad. I didn't realize the AST line had expanded that much. I would suggest ASTs then. I like my Koni SAs, but they aren't the most durable long-term.

-I totally forgot about the stock wheel size requirement (been in STX for a while), so that is correct. Also, the 335 only came with 17s in non-sport package models. The sport package comes in 18s.

-I concur about holding off on R-comps if inexperienced.

-A good alignment is definitely a must. I'd check with Eurosport in Plano to see what they can do on a stock 335.
              -Sean Martin
              2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

There is a "nub" you can grind off on the strut mounts so you can get more camber stock too. The holes are slotted. They do that for damaged cars.

I spent a season or two driving a B Stock M3. The jump from a stock shock to Konis just isn't that big enough to me anymore. I'd keep them stock until you can afford higher end shocks.

Thomas, we're about to test RX-8 shocks in a stock configuration.

Brian
                Last edited by Fair!; 07-17-2008, 10:28 AM.
                Brian Hanchey
                AST Suspension - USA

Comment

BTW, I've been very impressed with the AST cars I've seen and driven. Those stock perches are slick!
                  Thomas
                  AST '04 S2000 (STR)
                  '04 R32 with AST 4100s

Comment

You might also want to post your question on the Rocky Mountain Solo page, Kevin Youngers was running his 335 a little bit a while back and could probably give you some setup secrets.
                    http://rmsolo.org/forums/index.php
                    Adam
                    It's not so much the heat as it is the humidity

Comment

I wouldn't use any setup that works for Youngers. Doesn't usually work with most humans.

We're actually experimenting with making some shocks 1" longer than stock per stock class rules. Helps the rear hook up without the LSD. They aren't cheap though.
                      Last edited by hancheyb; 07-17-2008, 01:23 PM.
                      Brian Hanchey
                      AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by GoDog
                        You might also want to post your question on the Rocky Mountain Solo page, Kevin Youngers was running his 335 a little bit a while back and could probably give you some setup secrets.
                        I think his biggest secret is "Sell it and buy a Shelby"... but I could be wrong

Comment

Working...
                        X