Enclosed trailer tech

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enclosed trailer tech

Please post any tech you have on enclosed trailers here.

Vorshlag is growing and we need to step up our trailer to meet our needs. We are taking 2 cars to some events now and with only a 1 car trailer that means someone gets to drive a race prepped car to an event. Not fun. The open trailer is also not friendly to a race car with no side windows, heh. We are also doing more out of town events in 2008 and beyond and need to take more "stuff" with us, like shocks, rebuilding equipment, even a portable shock dyno. The need for more tools, a generator, pit vehicles, extra tires, and a compressor are also driving us to an enclosed trailer quickly.

Tow vehicle upgrades are of course in order. Our 3/4 ton 6.0L gasoline Chevy will be swapped out for a ~2006 Duramax diesel 1 ton truck with a 5th wheel hitch at some point soon. So pulling an enclosed will not be an issue... but we won't do something crazy like a stacker or a toter rig. Not yet at least.

Two car trailer usually mean a monstrous 45' trailer or a shorter stacker, but I don't want to tow a 45' trailer - that big beast limits access to many locales and gas stations. A stacker is too top heavy for a 1 ton truck as well. Ideally I'd only want a 28' enclosed but that's not going to hold 2 cars that are ~16' long each. Luckily the cars we tend to tow are light - both cars we're pulling around now are under 2500 pounds, so we don't need a mega overbuilt Nascar worthy trailer.

One feature I liked about the old Bimmerhaus 43' trailer (owned by Mazda Motorsports before that) was the ability to stack two cars halfway over each other. They had some ramps they could drop down from the side of the trailer to get the back end of the forward most car to sit above the hood of the 2nd. This could keep the length of the trailer down by several feet and/or free up a lot of room for "stuff". They had 10' at least 10' of space behind the cars for more storage. And when we're only taking one car to an event, it would be easier to load. Or we could rent out the 2nd trailer spot to a local racer going to the same event.

Not looking at new trailers, but maybe something 1-5 years old and in good shape. Probably 5th wheel. Lighter the better. If it has some nice owner added appointments already such as a generator, a/c, compressor, cabinets, work bench, lights, or E-track, even better.

Thoughts?

edit: we might punt and get an interim 1 car 24' enclosed TAG style trailer, too.
    Last edited by Fair!; 05-21-2008, 10:23 AM.
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Re: Enclosed trailer tech

I like the idea of building a custom enclosed to meet your two-car needs.

I'd call up Kurt Janish of Janco Fab and see if he knows anyone wanting to sell a used enclosed. You could also hit him up and see what he could do to one to create a Bimmerhaus-like version for you.

Janco's phone number is 972-442-6558

Kurt’s cell phone is 214-392-4257
    McCall

Comment

Originally posted by McCall
      I like the idea of building a custom enclosed to meet your two-car needs.

I'd call up Kurt Janish of Janco Fab and see if he knows anyone wanting to sell a used enclosed. You could also hit him up and see what he could do to one to create a Bimmerhaus-like version for you.

Janco's phone number is 972-442-6558

Kurt’s cell phone is 214-392-4257
      Already did that. Kurt said he could do the ramps no problem.
      Brian Hanchey
      AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Obviously... look for used. www.racejunk.com is always recommended... although I never find anything there and the UI is a piece of shit.

I've watched the Bimmerhaus guys load that trailer, and unless the whole crew is there, it is a royal pain in the ass!

28' vs. 40'... driving, no big issue. Parking... 40' takes alot more getting used to but not much more. General access... well, yeah, most parking lots are designed NOT to allow 40' trailers, so you'll need to plan better or walk more

Personally, If I had the $$ and the need, I'd get the 40' and not have to deal with the ***** of loading 2 cars on ramps.

My $.01

Comment

I helped Bob load it once. I don't remember it being horribly bad, but he was doing most of the work.
          Brian Hanchey
          AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Call Janish and find out which trailer brands to stay away from and listen to what he has to say. Also, diesel truck prices are dropping so you might be able to get into something newer.

I would recommend buying a used trailer that is already rigged to your liking. I don't know that I would buy a compressor over just carrying a couple of nitrogen bottles. Compressors are great when they work but if they don't get used enough they don't ever work.

turbo

Comment

Thanks for the advice so far guys - keep it coming.

We talked to Janish first, of course, and he's even offered to look at some trailers with us. We'd prefer to buy a used trailer that's already somewhat outfitted the way we like, because we hear this is where you can really spends some coin. We've already got a generator and we would use a (cheap/small/110V) compressor enough to hopefully keep it functional. I can't count the number of times I've had to use other people's compressors at events, so I think we'd use one enough to keep it well oiled and working.

The price of oil and especially diesel is temporarily inflated/artificial and I think both will drop drastically (along with all commodities) in the near future. Panic in the stock market over all sorts of issues, and this is the latest result. So yes, it would be a smart time to buy a nearly new diesel truck...

We know to avoid the 2006.5 and newer units with the regen cycles/particulate filter messes, as they tend to get worse fuel mileage. I really like the GM trucks and Isuzu/Allison drivetrains. I know the Cummins is a great engine but I'm not a fan of the Dodge truck that is wrapped around it. Fairly indifferent to the Ford/IH set-up. 3/4 ton or 1 ton, single or dual wheel? Dunno. Crew cab and automatic for sure.

As for the length of the trailer... that's still a mystery. 5th wheel would seem to make the most sense, and I've seen a slick 5th wheel hitch ball set-up that rotates 180° to make for a flat truck bed floor when not towing (great for transporting up pallets of shocks). 28'? 35'? 40'? Dunno. The 2 car need is pressing and the semi-stacked set-up seems the most efficient...

Comment

Do not buy a Ford 6.0 or 6.4!!!!!!!!!!!! The Cummins with the regen system is supposed to work just fine as long as you don't sit around letting it idle. None of the newer style diesels are intended to sit and idle like everyone thinks you can do. Saw a 2006 model Cummins with over 200000 miles on it already and the tech told me it was the first time it had been in the shop. Had a wore out throttle position sensor. Nothing wrong with the Duramax as long as it is a late 04 or newer.

Are you talking about a Gooseneck hitch or a fifth wheel?

Comment

Since you are considering a trailer large enough for two cars, some of the stock car guys have mentioned that they were pulled over by DPS and checked for CDL's and trailer inspection stickers. This was around San Antonio but no one has the rock hard answer. A rig with a combined weight of 26000 GVW is required to have a CDL. Actuall weight doesn't matter to stop you.

Food for thought.

Now I have to go get my damn trailer inspected.

Comment

Originally posted by turbotoddie
                    Since you are considering a trailer large enough for two cars, some of the stock car guys have mentioned that they were pulled over by DPS and checked for CDL's and trailer inspection stickers. This was around San Antonio but no one has the rock hard answer. A rig with a combined weight of 26000 GVW is required to have a CDL. Actuall weight doesn't matter to stop you.

Food for thought.

Now I have to go get my damn trailer inspected.
                    Hell ya, I always wanted a CDL.

I actually remember now over hearing James Clay say they got harrassed crossing the South Carolina/Georgia state line. I think it was similar only they had a stacker which sticks out more.
                    Brian Hanchey
                    AST Suspension - USA

Comment

A few things I've noticed in using encloseds for quite a while.

Side door...the bigger the better. When I ordered mine it was an option and for some stupid reason I got the standard door. It's not a huge deal, but I'd much prefer the big one (my boss has the big side door).

Options. Tough call. My boss ordered his with benches and generator and ac and cabinets and all. It sure is sweet, but the price was up there too. I've been WAY too slow adding creature comforts to mine, but it seems that since you guys are do-it-yourselfers, if you can have a trailer-work-weekend you could do a ton of that yourself and save some money. Also, that way it is rigged out the way YOU want it.

Canopy. I priced canopies and after I woke up from the fainting I called my buddy and we built mine in a weekend. It is the length of the trailer (28') and sticks out 15'. 'Big Shade'. Two people can put it up in about 10 minutes. No external poles, all cantilever.

Top Viewing Deck: a lot of folks think these are useless, but I love mine and use it frequently. Amy shot pics from the last nats practice up there too. Your call.

Spare tires. Two. Whatever you hit with the lead tire, you will likely hit with the trailing tire. I blew out two tires on the driver side on the way to TWS one morning. Had two spares. No problem.

KEEP THE SH!T TO CHANGE A TIRE RIGHT BY THE DOOR. BUILD MOUNTS FOR THE STUFF IF YOU HAVE TOO AND HAVE THE SPARE TIRES THERE TOO. On the way to nats practice Nick and I blew a trailer tire. From the time the truck went into 'park' and the time it went back into 'drive' was 7 minutes. No lie. Have a wooden ramp that you can pull the good tire on to elevate the flat one and voila.

There is more...I'll post it when I remember it.

Costas

Comment

The biggest downer about a CDL is that you can not take Defensive Driving for a ticket no matter what vehicle you received the ticket.

As for Costas' suggestions, winch-big and wireless remote. Also, spend the extra bucks and buy the plastic trailer ramp set, much lighter than wood and $45 at Tractor Supply.

Comment

Originally posted by turbotoddie
                          As for Costas' suggestions, winch-big and wireless remote.
                          Dude... he's not driving the turd

Yes, got your message. Yes, I'm alive (and well south (100 miles)) of them tomatoes!

Comment

Good stuff. Yea, we've learned the trailer tire lessons first hand and now keep the tools and ramps nearby for a quick change. Our first blowout was changed in ~7-8 minutes, in and out of the pits.

As for a winch, that would be nice but like John said we rarely have to push our cars onto a trailer. (knock on wood!) The options on the trailers all make sense, especially when we are looking at used trailers that are hopefully decked out well already.

I finally got tags today for our open trailer, after 1.5 years... We're still looking at enclosed trailers and the tech you guys are bringing is exactly what we needed to hear. We're still weighing the advantages of a diesel 1 ton and with $5/gallon diesel it seems insane, but we know that the price of fuel is inflated drastically now and it would probably be THE best time to upgrade trucks.

Opinions: Gooseneck vs. 5th Wheel vs. TAG

Comment

To me, the winch is not about if a car is broken. It's a pain with some cars due to width and how much room there is to climb in and out once on the trailer.

I have not seen too many 5th wheel setups for car trailers. I'd want gooseneck anyway so you can make use of the truck bed when not pulling. The 5th wheel assemblies are pretty big and bulky.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X