Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porsche 911 w/ V8 - discussion

Originally posted by mikemc
    It looks even more familiar to me, seeing as how I gave that press to Brian M. for free a few years ago. I would have loved to keep it, but my 2 car garage is stuffed to the gills and I knew Brian could make good use of it. Mike McClure
    McClure sighting... question in... status of the Porsche?

Re: Tire rack from Tire Rack

Originally posted by John in Houston
    McClure sighting... question in... status of the Porsche?
    Current status is "neglected and unfinished." I still have big plans for it and most of the parts are in my garage. I just need to find the time to work on it. The thing standing in my way is that I just doubled the size of my business overnight by buying a second location. My wife and I are putting in 16 hour days trying to get our second location up to speed! Once we have the right employees in place and everything is operating smoothly I should be tooling around in a 2200 lb V8 powered 500 hp monster!

One question, I am debating the early RSR look from '73 vs. the 993 GT2 look for the car. I am leaning towards the early RSR. Which way should I go?

Mike McClure

Comment

This thread is worthless without pics!!
      2001 Jeep Wrangler
      2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
      Front LCA Bushing Swap
      E36 Custom Cat Back
      M3 Limited Slip Diff Repair
      Diff Swap

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy R
        This thread is worthless without pics!!
        +1 !!

And not even knowing what you have, I vote early RSR!

Comment

Current status is "neglected and unfinished." I still have big plans for it and most of the parts are in my garage. I just need to find the time to work on it. The thing standing in my way is that I just doubled the size of my business overnight by buying a second location. My wife and I are putting in 16 hour days trying to get our second location up to speed! Once we have the right employees in place and everything is operating smoothly I should be tooling around in a 2200 lb V8 powered 500 hp monster!

One question, I am debating the early RSR look from '73 vs. the 993 GT2 look for the car. I am leaning towards the early RSR. Which way should I go?

Mike McClure
          Who's V8 kit did you buy? Reason I ask is that our fabricator is working on an LS2 911...

Its pretty slick, and should be fast as stink with the stroked LS2 and custom "Big Stuff 3" EFI. It will get AST shocks and some prototype Vorshlag camber plates, too.
          Last edited by Fair!; 10-18-2007, 11:27 AM.
          Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
          2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
          EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

I vote for the early look.... those are sweet!

Congrats on the second location!

Comment

That 911 is sex on wheels. A little tall, but otherwise B-E-A-utiful!!
              2001 Jeep Wrangler
              2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
              Front LCA Bushing Swap
              E36 Custom Cat Back
              Diff Swap

Comment

I like 911s because I fit and at least the current shifters are excellent. I just don't want to pay for Porsche maintenance.
                -Sean Martin
                2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

I have Renegade Hybrid's stuff for the conversion. Their radiator setup is really nice. The engine mounts and accessories are for a small block chevy. However, I would love to put an LS1/2/6/7 in the car to make it lighter. Renegade just started selling LS1 conversion parts in addition to their other offerings that I may need to consider. I would also be interested in learning more about your fabricator's setup if he decides to market it.

Here is a 993 GT2 car:

My car is not currently picture worthy as it is completely disassembled and awaiting a new front suspension pan when I can find the time to weld it in.

Here is a '73 RSR clone:

Mike McClure
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by mikemc; 10-18-2007, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Re: Porsche 911 w/ V8 - discussion

Moved these discussions here, as we had strayed way off topic in the previous thread.

Just went at lunch and talked to Taylor at DPH about the 911 kits. He mentioned the Renegade kit and the fact that they have an LS1 kit offering now, but "they don't have any pictures of an LS1 conversion" and he's looked all over the 'net for proof that it exists. It would require different headers and motor mounts, for one.

He liked their radiator solution but he is doing his differently - dual front mount radiators in the sides of the nose, boxed with air exit in the front wheel wells. Doing it that way to be different from Renegade as well as for a few other legitimate reasons. He's been working on it off and on between other projects, and just pulled fuel line for it, got the Aeromotive external pump mounted and has AN fittings laid out for the system.

Was showing me the hybrid F-body/Corvette accessory and serpentine belt system for the A/C and alternator. The water pump is a remote mount electric unit and it won't have power steering (but few 911s do?). His headers are artwork so I'm sure its gonna be nice when finished. I saw a custom 911 GT3 exhaust he did out of 304 stainless and it was "museum worthy".

The 930 transaxle was one of the priciest parts. Makes for a compact drivetrain package though.

Comment

930 transaxle? Does that mean it has to be a 4 speed? That would blow.

Mike, while the vintage-y stuff looks great, I love the newer styles. The pre-993 (964?) are my favs, but 993s can look mighty nice, too....such as the one you pictured. Love those front flares, too!

T
                      2001 Jeep Wrangler
                      2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
                      Front LCA Bushing Swap
                      E36 Custom Cat Back
                      Diff Swap

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!
                        The 930 transaxle was one of the priciest parts. Makes for a compact drivetrain package though.
                        Yep. The 930 transaxle is the biggest budget buster for this type of conversion. Fortunately, I already have one that is freshly rebuilt. It cost me a pretty penny though!

By the way, the car is a '70 911E.

The next big step I will need to take with the car is to cut out and weld in a new front suspension pan. Then there are a couple of localized areas of rust that need to be cut out and replaced. Both areas are less than 2 inches in diameter.

Once that is finished I will need to break out the check book and get the body work done. I need to find a competent shop that has extensive fiberglass capabilities at a reasonable cost. If anybody has any recommendations for a good body shop with Porsche experience, please let me know.

Mike

Comment

Yep. The 930 transaxle is the biggest budget buster for this type of conversion. Fortunately, I already have one that is freshly rebuilt. It cost me a pretty penny though!

By the way, the car is a '70 911E.

The next big step I will need to take with the car is to cut out and weld in a new front suspension pan. Then there are a couple of localized areas of rust that need to be cut out and replaced. Both areas are less than 2 inches in diameter.

Once that is finished I will need to break out the check book and get the body work done. I need to find a competent shop that has extensive fiberglass capabilities at a reasonable cost. If anybody has any recommendations for a good body shop with Porsche experience, please let me know.

Mike
                          That sounds like a lot of work.

Did you know you can get an E36 for under $1000 that has perfect bodywork? And this company I know makes a swap kit for an LS1 for under $4000?

The Alpha car weighed 2550 lbs on the scales Friday night, with lots of room left to go. Front/Rear was 54/46% - never going to have a rear weight bias like a 911, tho.

The 911 V8 is a unique project that doesn't have to "make sense" to make sense - there's just nothing like it...

Comment

Working...
                          X