Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 One Lap of America

http://www.onelapofamerica.com/ - official website

Want to discuss this event with anyone having past experiences (indirectly or otherwise). Costs, commitment, level of competition, goals or aspirations?
    1. Do "car people" really care about who wins One Lap?
    2. What are the real costs?
    3. What usually wins? Is it car prep, horsepower, reliability, or sheer driving skill?
    4. What usually breaks? What is the overall drop-out percentage?
    5. Should this be on your list of "Things I Must Do Before I Die"?

Just a curious question - please don't read anything into this.
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Re: 2007 One Lap of America

2006 Tire Rules - something new (multiple tire choices, 140 treadwear minimum!). Here are the important bits:

The 2006 event schedule begins at The Tire Rack in South Bend, Indiana with registration on Friday, May 5th. Competition will begin on Saturday morning, May 6th when The Tire Rack Team will host the One Lap of America competitors to a “Wet Skid Pad Shootout” (either due to rain or the test track's in-ground sprinkler system). Finishing positions in the Wet Skid Pad Shootout will be awarded by measuring and averaging the maximum cornering forces each vehicle generates while driving laps in both directions on the test track’s 200-foot diameter skid pad. Competitors will then begin their almost 4,000-mile trek to the Eastern United States and back (stopping off at many of America's premier racetracks for timed competition). The competitors will return to the Tire Rack for the final competitive event on Saturday morning, May 13th, for a Skid Pad Shootout to be held in dry conditions, weather permitting.

Tire Selection

Competitors can select tires from the following participating 2006 tire brands:
    • BFGoodrich
    • Bridgestone
    • Continental
    • Dunlop
    • Firestone
    • Goodyear
    • Kumho
    • Michelin
    • Pirelli
    • Yokohama

Each vehicle is required to be equipped with tires from a single brand.
    Offering these multiple tire brands should eliminate the difficulties of finding appropriate sized tires to fit unique vehicles, as well as minimize problems due to availability from the tire manufacturers.

Because many vehicles entered in the One Lap of America are fitted with different tire sizes on their front and rear axles, and because tag-a-long trailers are permitted to carry tools and spares, each team will be restricted to using a maximum of six tires during the event (unless additional tire changes are deemed necessary for safety reasons and authorized by the event organizers).

No racing slicks or DOT Legal competition tires will be permitted. Street legal tires with a minimum UTQG Treadwear Rating of 140 will be required.

Tire shaving is not permitted and all tires, including spare tires, must begin the event with a minimum of 8/32-inch tread depth (to be confirmed during pre-event vehicle inspection) and complete the event with a minimum of 2/32-inch of remaining tread depth (to be confirmed during post-event vehicle inspection) at no less than 2 points around the tire's circumference that are approximately 180-degrees apart.

In order to assure that all tires are standard street legal tires as sold by their manufacturers to the general public; all participants are required to purchase the tires they use during the event directly from The Tire Rack.

The 2006 One Lap of America tires will have unique identification permanently branded to their sidewall to clearly identify their origin. Vehicles will not be allowed to participate in the event unless their tires have the required identification branding. Because of this unique branding, tires must be purchased and installed on the vehicle before competitors arrive in South Bend for registration, and tires purchased through this program are not returnable, even if they have never been mounted.

The participating tire manufacturers have agreed to sponsor all 2006 One Lap of America teams using their product by supporting a 25% rebate fulfilled by The Tire Rack for tires purchased directly from The Tire Rack.

Entered teams can purchase a total of 10 tires per registered vehicle eligible for the rebate (four tires are suggested for pre-event testing with the remaining six tires for use during the event). ...
    Whew! 9 day event, 4000 miles, only 6 tires allowed and you gotta have 2/32" left on each tire at the end! Luckily, some of us here are familiar with 140-200 treadwear "street tires".

So here's my short list (based on treadwear rating and tire availability over 275mm width):

Anything on The Tire Rack I missed?? I checked all of the "Extreme" and "Ultra" Performance Summer tires + all of the Compeititon tires (looking for a loophole - all were 0-80 TW, drat!). Looked for anything under 200 TW avilable in big sizes. Has to be bought from Tire Rack and on that list of tire sponsors. Really, it looks to be between the Yokohama Advan and the Bridgestone RE050A PP, with the edge going to the 'stone for a lower TW.
    Last edited by Fair!; 07-05-2006, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!
      http://www.onelapofamerica.com/ - official website

Want to discuss this event with anyone having past experiences (indirectly or otherwise). Costs, commitment, level of competition, goals or aspirations?
      1. Do "car people" really care about who wins One Lap?
      2. What are the real costs?
      3. What usually wins? Is it car prep, horsepower, reliability, or sheer driving skill?
      4. What usually breaks? What is the overall drop-out percentage?
      5. Should this be on your list of "Things I Must Do Before I Die"?

Just a curious question - please don't read anything into this.
      Of all people, I would ask Andi - the guy that sold his C5 Z06 to Wirtz, he's been to 2 of them, getting 4th overall and then 6th overall, behind the Car Manufacturer (Dodge Vipers) sponsored race engineers and drivers - that being said you need a lot of money.

This is definitely one of the things that I do before I die - including buying a big RV and trailering a race car to every major track in the USA. I see this as being about 30 years from now, hehehe

Okay, just called Andi:
      Entry fee is around $3500 and real costs are $15k. If you want to win, you must have 600rwhp minimum. The C5's had a minimum 427CI. They allow nitrous and some guys spray nitrous on the straights. His Supra on race gas was pushing 682rwhp.

You're asking, what the heck is the $12k difference - he said it is extremely grueling on a car and everything you can think of will break. You'll also not want to drive the track blind, so to prepare for them, that's included in the $12k - ala our mini-one-lap to Road America, Watkins Glen, and BeaveRun in one weekend, so he could practice. Brakes, rotors, tires, random breakage, late night stints to repair them, flying people with the parts from one dealership to where you are at on a Sunday, potential for jail time when cruising at 100+mph speeds to make up time when something breaks and you barely repair it in time to make check in at the next track. Hotels, race gas, gas... in 2002 he blew a head gasket and in 2003 he had another motor issue and flew a guy with a wheel bearing/hub from his own Supra to Oklahoma, because you don't just get wheel bearings/hubs from Autozone, etc.

Anyways, check out http://OneLapSupra.COM and read 2002 and 2003 for an idea of what really happens and what breaks.

He said the 2002 one was more interesting: http://onelapsupra.com/OneLap2002/OneLapSupra.htm

That being said, I thought Brock Yates was fired this past year....
      Last edited by Dean!; 07-05-2006, 08:36 PM.
      Toth: "I would sue Duck, but I don't know what I would do with 3 pennies and a hoopty GTO."
      Me: "I never finish anyth..."

Comment

Found the 2007 rules...

Scoring

A variation on the NASCAR system, which awards points deep into the field, is best suited for One Lap. For each event, first place is awarded points equal to 5x the number of official entrants. Each succeeding position is awarded 5 points less than the previous. Thus, if there are 95 entrants, then first place for a particular event would be awarded 475 points with second place receiving 470, third 465 and so on. Similarity, class points for a particular event are awarded with first place receiving points equal to 5x the number of official entrants in that class. Thus, if there are 10 entrants in SSGT1 class, first place at each event would receive 50 points, second 45 and so on. A DNS (Did not start) or DNF (Did not finish) receives 0 (zero) points.

To be overall winner and class winner will be determined by the total high scores accrued from each of the contests along the route. Ties will be decided by the total elapsed time in competition events. Trophies will be awarded for overall standings and class winners.
        Yikes, completeing each individual event without a DNF/DNS event is HUGE.

Class Structure

1. Sports/GT cars over $40,000 – Engine displacement 3.5L and over
        2. Sports/GT cars over $40,000 – Engine displacement under 3.5L
        3. Sports/GT cars under $40,000 – Engine displacement 3.5L and over
        4. Sports/GT cars under $40,000 – Engine displacement under 3.5L
        5. Mid-priced sedans and wagons $20,000-$40,000
        6. Economy cars under $20,000
        7. Luxury sedans and wagons over $40,000
        8. Sport Utility vehicles and pickups all price ranges
        9. Classic American: All domestically produced vehicles built prior to
        1985, including street rods, specials, etc.
        10. Classic Imported: All types built prior to 1985
        11. Alternate Fuel class-including hybrids, electric, diesels, etc.
        12. Retro: Vehicles intended to reflect past trends or models, Minis, etc.
        Some other rules of note:
        • $2500 entry fee
        • Minimum of 2 drivers per car, maximum of 3 (+$500 for 3rd).
        • All competitors must be members of of the Sports Vintage Racing Association (SVRA) and all on-track competitors will need a current physical for a license.
        • Competing Vehicles will be two-axle ...and have production components (body, chassis, drive train) of greater then 25 cars.
        • Required equipment includes: a minimum 3-pound size 1BC dry chemical fire extinguisher, first-aid kit, four highway flares or three DOT emergency triangles must be carried. A small toolbox is recommended.
        • Four additional driving lights (maximum) are permitted. OEM necessary fog and driving lights are considered additional lighting.
        • All forward-facing lights must be controlled by a single dimmer switch.
        • All Auxiliary-fuel capacity must be carried in a SCCA or major sanctioning body approved fuel cell. No exceptions permitted.
        • All competitors in autocrosses or drag races wear a current (2000 or later) SA (special application) Snell approved crash helmet and a single-layer or better fire-proof driver’s suit. Motorcycle approved helmets are specifically banned. One driver on track--no passengers-will be on board during time trials.
        • All drivers in time trials must wear single-layer (minimum) fireproof driving suits.
        • No Support vehicles of any kind will be allowed to accompany any entered vehicle.
        • Failure to run in specified group will result in a 10 second penalty if track is dry. If a competitor fails to run in his or hers assigned run group and the track is wet, a 30 second per mile of race track (rounded to the next mile) will be imposed.
        • Track Walking is encouraged before the start of all the events. All competitors will be off the track 15 minutes before the first run group. There will be no motorized vehicles allowed on track. Any auxiliary vehicles are subject to the rules of the various racetracks. (so, are bicycles allowed for walk-thrus??)
        • Liability Requirements All team members are required to carry a minimum of $500,000 liability from a U.S. insurance underwriter (or agent).
        • Are motor swaps legal? Yes. The classes are based on what the car was when it came from the factory; not what is has become. In fact, we don’t care if you somehow stuff a 12 cylinder Allison V-12 into the car. It’s your car, your money, you’ve got to live in it for a week.
        • What modifications are legal? - Hmmmm, any, or certainly many. Well, the car has to be street legal. This means that we will need to verify that the car is registered, inspected and insured for use on public highways.
        • I’ve driven for years, do I need two drivers schools? - Two drivers schools with instruction in a racing environment is considered the absolute minimum. In rare cases, some have had equivalent experience. Any waivers to the two-school rule will be made on a case-by-case basis. Please contact us directly for clarification.
        Last edited by Fair!; 07-05-2006, 08:30 PM.

Comment

My opinion of it is that, yes, it is a lot of money but it would offer a LS-1 V8 project several pluses:

1. Exposure: Not due to the actual event, but lining up magazine articles thereafter. Could include:

-GRM, Roundel, Bimmer, BMW Car, Various LS1 mags, Compact Sports Car, etc. Don't forget we could blog thru the event with BB wireless access.

Finding a few sponsors would offset the initial cost.

2. Torture Test: Would definitely show if the kit works or not. Downside, we'd probably break something, but we'd find that out versus our customer's finding it. Certainly a huge plus if it doesn't break. Could tie in with a kick off of the kit itself.
          Brian Hanchey
          AST Suspension - USA

Comment

I have always wanted to do this and one day I will do it. =)
            '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
            - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Does my co-driver need two schools if not competing on track?

No. Many teams have transit-only drivers. While they are not required to have two schools, they will be issued a non-driver wristband at registration and if for any reason they are found to have driven, or attempted to drive, on any racetrack, disqualification is to be expected. Transit-only drivers are allowed to compete at dragstrip, autocross and skid-pad events.
              Brian Hanchey
              AST Suspension - USA

Comment

I think this would have to be done in LSx BMW version 2 so you know you've worked out the bugs. That and you need to not have "good enough" parts like a strong LSD diff, etc. Make sure it has A/C. What I'd really like to see is participation in the Gumball 3000! I was watching the coverage on SPEED and it looks like a blast. It's like the Cannonball Run movies except real. Some sweet (and crazy) cars, too. It wouldn't really show off the performance of the car, but it'd be cool.
                -Sean Martin
                2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Hell a guy did the Gumball in an Ice Cream truck. I think it looks fun too, but it is basically a long party.

Comment

Originally posted by instigator
                    Hell a guy did the Gumball in an Ice Cream truck. I think it looks fun too, but it is basically a long party.
                    Exactly!
                    -Sean Martin
                    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

I agree with Redwood. All of the points Hanchey mentions is spot on, however, I'd do this with version 2 of the LSx BMW... since first impressions are everything.

Now private testing it at MSR, Road America, Watkins Glen, TWS, etc, you won't have a few thousand eagerbeaver bimmerforum guys all anxiously awaiting the public results - you can work stuff out privately and break things mostly in private and make a grand public debut later.

Andi said if you ever want to have a dinner gathering, he'd be up for it... he's competed in and finished 2 of them..... (4th overall in his first ever 1Lap !)

But still...a 2800lb C5 with C5R motor, carbon fiber everything, with 600rwhp and 335's at all four corners....or a Dodge Corporation sponsored SRT10 truck and Viper with a multi-time 1Lap winner as the driver, man....... hard to beat that kind of money.
                      Toth: "I would sue Duck, but I don't know what I would do with 3 pennies and a hoopty GTO."

Comment

Originally posted by Dean!
                        But still...a 2800lb C5 with C5R motor, carbon fiber everything, with 600rwhp and 335's at all four corners....or a Dodge Corporation sponsored SRT10 truck and Viper with a multi-time 1Lap winner as the driver, man....... hard to beat that kind of money.
                        They wouldn't be in the same category as a C5 since it originally cost over $40K and their plain jane 3-series did not. I see your point, though. There are a lot of people with lots of money to blow on this and they want to win badly.
                        -Sean Martin
                        2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood
                          There are a lot of people with lots of money to blow on this and they want to win badly.
                          You just summed up pretty much every motorsports competition known to man...
                          Teucci has a good point about trannies - Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood
                            They wouldn't be in the same category as a C5 since it originally cost over $40K and their plain jane 3-series did not. I see your point, though. There are a lot of people with lots of money to blow on this and they want to win badly.
                            I thought the ONLY category would be: The Overall Category, who cares if a Dodge Neon SRT4 driven by Mark Daddio wins SSGT4 or an Impala SS wins 'Mid-Priced Sedan'. People look at the fastest of the fast and that's the top 10 cars overall.... I've always envisioned this as the "run what ya brung, who's got the fastest, most capable, street driven car in the friggin' country."

It would be awesome to see a $25k Evo RS win the whole schabang against a Dodge Sponsored Viper or Ruf sponsored Porsche.....

Comment

Originally posted by Dean!
                              I thought the ONLY category would be: The Overall Category, who cares if a Dodge Neon SRT4 driven by Mark Daddio wins SSGT4 or an Impala SS wins 'Mid-Priced Sedan'. People look at the fastest of the fast and that's the top 10 cars overall.... I've always envisioned this as the "run what ya brung, who's got the fastest, most capable, street driven car in the friggin' country."

It would be awesome to see a $25k Evo RS win the whole schabang against a Dodge Sponsored Viper or Ruf sponsored Porsche.....
                              Who said we couldn't arrange our own professional drivers? No, I'm not kidding.
                              Brian Hanchey
                              AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Working...
                              X