Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMACK: Duckyo Drift, the Curbs of Collin County

Sunday, June 25th

Leave Carrollton at 9:30am to meet up with the Duck.

Meet Duck at his house to caravan to Fair's Home Cabling Project (see relevant thread)

We caravan down Legacy to turn north onto 75/Central, following Duck.

In an attempt to imitate the latest Fast and the Furious showing of Tokyo Drift, Duck attempts to drift this corner and the 3800 pound GTO pushes and the rear end never kicks out. In an instant, we see the roof of Duck's GTO as it pops a curb.

The front wheel is pushed into the fenderwell such that the tire is smoking on the fender in the 5 extra feet Duck drives it.

We call Fair to let him know, uhm, we're going to be a little late. We wait an hour and a half for the second available tow truck driver to show.

Pics to come soon, this private thread can be deleted if need be for 1nsuranc3 reasons.
    Toth: "I would sue Duck, but I don't know what I would do with 3 pennies and a hoopty GTO."
    Me: "I never finish anyth..."

Re: SMACK: Duckyo Drift, the Curbs of Collin County

And after all this the Mystaque is still running in the background.

http://instigator.smugmug.com/gallery/1601360

Comment

NOBODY LIVES FOREVER!

If you don't kiss a curb (this was more like mugging down and hitting teeth) once in a while, you're not having fun.

KDWS' nor KDWs have much traction when nearly bald. It was operator error though. I was distracted by A/C settings and simply turned in too late. I don't know if new tires would have helped in this case. The car is a pig and I'm a dumba$,$$$. :'(

SOOO glad you got all those pics and warm fuzzy comments.

(EDIT)

Not sure what's bent and what's not. Anti-roll bar endlink? I don't know if the bar is bent or not. The bits look okay. The steering linkage is defintely relocated for optimal weight distribution.

Last edited by duck; 06-25-2006, 11:07 PM.
      "When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin
      http://www.duckfest.net

Comment

You can see the mounting hole for the lower control arms is definately futzed. What's with the oil drops on the front locating link thinger there at the top of the pic? (It's not as far from the rest of the suspension as it appears.) Is that thing oil-filled and broke?

The POS novelty camera in my Samsung A900 phone has everything skewed to the top left. I guess I blinked while pressing the capture button. Silly me. You can see the curb rash on the fascia at the bottom directly below the foglight. I guess I discovered the crub at about a 45 degree angle. I should have just jumped the curb, gotten back off, and took off like nothing happened so I could be embarassed later and get a couple of rims maybe. Or at least let off the brake at the last second. Bleh.

Here's a pic of my car pulling on the Mystique:

I guess there's plenty insured damage. The back popped around and put a 1/2 quarter-sized spot o' rash on the back wheel. No biggie but I could dinged on it when I sell it back in 2-ish years so while insurance is fixing it, may as well get it all fixed. Front when is rashed around 1/2 of the rim as it rolled and climbed the curb. Front fascia needs paint. Lower control arm mounting point needs to be redone. I don't know if anything else will be on the list but add in a rental car and I may as well call insurance on this.
        Last edited by duck; 06-25-2006, 11:18 PM.
        "When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Adjuster is estimating $4,500.

- He's okaying replacing everything on the front right suspension just to be sure.
          - The inner fender had some damage, I'm sure from the relocated strut tweaking it.
          - Reconditioning front two wheels for $140 each, and possible the back right. I guess I went off road a far enough for the inside of the left rim to scuff the curb. Explains how there's a small scuff in the back right instead of a parallel to the curb road rash circle around the rim. Need to see if Deremy could tell from where they were. I should have just hit it straight and maybe needed new rims. Jeez. And McCall kept telling me to remove my skid plate cover over the oil pan! It's also there for rigidity for the tin foil engine cradle. I don't see the subframes even with connectors lasting longterm as high power drag cars.
          - Alignment. I need to be there and ask them to 0" the toe to reduce understeer and improve turn in!!! And max the caster and negative camber.
          - If the factory alignment doesn't take, they'll look at replacing the steering knuckle
          - TWO NEW FRONT TIRES to replace the balda55 ones I had on there. I can't believe that. BFG KDW cost at Ewing Pontiac = $225 each. So I'll get those replaced and drive to Discount and get the two more rears for ~$162 each.
          Last edited by duck; 06-28-2006, 10:38 PM.

Comment

edit: I thought GTOs were SLA fronts, interesting

Any parts have to come from Australia? Any idea how long it may take yet?
            Teucci has a good point about trannies - Tommy

Comment

I found the engine cradle online for <$400 so I think they have the necessary parts in the US. Adjuster was saying <=2 weeks once the parts came in.

Comment

Working...
              X