STU Battle in Topeka, June 10 & 11th, 2006

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STU Battle in Topeka, June 10 & 11th, 2006

Paul whipped up on Brandon "Where's My Jacket!?" Burkhart in STU at the Saturday Topeka Regional... congrats!

It's a double header, meaning there is another Regional there tomorrow. Let's hope he can bet him again tomorrow... by even more! Time for some BizNastyBOOOOST!

This is the first look at Heartland Park Topeka's new solo2 pad. Results should be posted shortly... http://www.kansasregionscca.org/results.htm
    Last edited by Fair!; 06-10-2006, 04:58 PM.
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Re: STU Battle in Topeka, June 10 & 11th, 2006

Saturday results: (temp was around 100-101 with blue sky, very hot)

Class: STREET TOURING -S2
    1. 133 ANDY HOLLIS 63.467
    2. 33 RON BAUER 63.796

Class: STREET TOURING -U
    1. 166 PAUL MAGYAR STI 63.586
    2. 13 BRANDEN BURKHART STI 63.747
    3. 199 JEFF VOGEL STI 65.064
    4. 142 JERRY IRVINE EVO IXMR 66.084
    5. 42 JAKE DIEHL EVO IXMR 67.640

note: STU should have been in the mid 62's

Sunday results: (temp was low 70's and overcast all day)

Class: STREET TOURING -S2
    1. 33 RON BAUER 59.134
    2. 133 ANDY HOLLIS 59.637

Class: STREET TOURING -U
    1. 13 BRANDEN BURKHART STI 59.448
    2. 166 PAUL MAGYAR STI 60.720
    3. 199 JEFF VOGEL STI 60.744
    4. 142 JERRY IRVINE EVO IX 61.120
    5. 42 JAKE DIEHL EVO MR 61.514

note: STU should have been in the mid to low 58's

I got a lot of pats on the back by people I didn't even know after Saturday's runs. I guess Branden isn't well loved. Turns out he is not a graceful loser either; apparently he was quite pissed off at not winning on his home turf.

I drove ok on Saturday and the car worked perfectly in the heat. I cooled the tires after every run and it responded well, I felt hooked up for the most part. On Sunday with the 25+ degree drop in temp. The car was a little loose but not too bad. I continued to cool the tires every run but had grip problems and had to be easy on corner exit or else the car would get out of shape. I didn't drive as well Sunday unfortunately and the times reflected this. Comparing myself to Andy Hollis as he is more consistent, you can see I was way off the pace. I did find out afterwards that Brandon only cooled his tires once and he did drive smoother. So areas I where I made mistakes. I should have not cooled off the tires as much. I should have softened the rear rebound. Having not made the previous changes I should have changed my driving style to compensate. Oh well, live and learn.

The surface is super smooth and clean. I would say it is consistent but it isn't. There are many places where they ground off the seams and sealed them. These spots have grooves in them and offer two levels of grip depending on the direction of the grooves vs. the tire load. With the grooves grip is the suck, against the groves, grip is damn good. The rest of the surface is very consistent and grip is medium. When hot it was better than TMS and about MW. Cooler is closer to TMS but still not as bad. I think if you can get your car working really well at TMS, then any dry condition you have at Heartland will be easy to adjust for.

Now for the bad news. After the first day there was a spot on a seam where a braking point was that we completely messed up. Literally opened the seam and spread the asphalt open about 2 inches with surrounding cracks.
    Last edited by Paul; 06-12-2006, 08:47 AM.
    '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

That sucks about the surface breaking up, but HP is going to have to fix it and support Solo...I don't see how they can back out of it now. Hopefully this won't be a trend that continues, because the lot will see MUCH more abuse the week of Nationals than it did this past weekend.

Congrats on beating BB on Saturday. You are a turd for letting him beat you Sunday tho
      --
      Mike Neary
      #27 STU, '95 M3
      Vorshlag Motorsports Strano Performance Parts

Comment

^^^^

Neary?
        '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
        - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
          ^^^^

Neary?
          Neary's in DA HAUS!!
          Brian Hanchey
          AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
            ^^^^

Neary?
            Who else can call you a turd for losing and back it up?
            --
            Mike Neary
            #27 STU, '95 M3
            Vorshlag Motorsports Strano Performance Parts

Comment

Working...
            X