Tire Selection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Selection

Just wanted a few opinions. I've previously ran 3 sets of the old style Falken Azenis Sports and have liked them, but I've finally got a set of 17x8 wheels so I can finally get some decent rubber under the car.

Looking to go with a 245/45/17 tire, and unfortunately I don't have mass amounts of money to just throw down on something really good, so I'm currently looking at the new Falken Azenis RT-615 or a set of Kumho MX. The Azenis are $30 more per tire than the MX's, but I haven't heard much information about the new style Azenis. I believe a couple of you guys have been running these and I think I've seen a few of you guys running on these at autox's as well, so I'm just looking to get a little more info.

I don't drive the car much on the street anymore, but I do on occassion. I also do currently have a set of RA1's that I"m using for autox, but I don't know how much life they have left in them, so if need be I'd like to be able to autox on the street tires and still have decent grip.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Re: Tire Selection

Fair has been running 615s on the street on his RX8 so he might be able to give you some opinion on them. I think he likes them. As far a autox, they are probably just as good if not better than the RA1s you are using.
    McCall

Comment

Anybody know how the 615s do in the wet? I remember people saying the 215s are scary in the rain.
      -Sean Martin
      2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood
        Anybody know how the 615s do in the wet? I remember people saying the 215s are scary in the rain.
        215s were ok on full tread. Anything less and you will die. Racing in the rain, they were great.

Comment

Only time I ever had trouble in rain or other inclimate weather with the old style Azenis, I guess this would be the 215's, was after I had about 18-19k miles on them and they were completely bald. When they were new I never had any trouble, not even in snow. I had a new set on the car and drove it to South Dakota for Christmas one year and not once had an issue with the snow.

If anyone has more information on the Kumho MX's that'd be appreciated as well. I've always heard good things about them, but not sure I ever want to run a Kumho tire again.

Comment

The MX tire isn't that great in the class of tire it is in for the street and is definitely less grippy than the Falkens for autocrossing. I wouldn't even keep it on your list.
            -Sean Martin
            2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

I'm looking at the Sumitomo's on the cheap($69ea.!) to replace the factory Brigestones that I love but are 3x the price. I think Instigator(?) might have some first-hand experience with the Sumi's.
              '05 STi
              Obfuscation usually requires a lot more words than if you simply focus on fundamental principles, so I’m not at all surprised by the loquaciousness of liberals.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood
                The MX tire isn't that great in the class of tire it is in for the street and is definitely less grippy than the Falkens for autocrossing. I wouldn't even keep it on your list.
                I'd toss the Kumho MX, too... I had one peel away pretty bad and it's the 3rd Kumho MX that I've seen at an event do that, and then I was approached by someone else that said they saw the same thing on another car.

Me being the same driver, I've never had any other tire in my life ever do that....
                Toth: "I would sue Duck, but I don't know what I would do with 3 pennies and a hoopty GTO."
                Me: "I never finish anyth..."

Comment

Ambah, 255/40/17 Toyo Proxes RA-1 and be done with it. Drive 'em everywhere. Since you have your GST, just drive to the race events in the AWD.

We were getting 121 runs out of one set of RA-1, flipping at 55-60 runs, running some crazy cambah.
                  Toth: "I would sue Duck, but I don't know what I would do with 3 pennies and a hoopty GTO."
                  Me: "I never finish anyth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Oversteer
                    I'm looking at the Sumitomo's on the cheap($69ea.!) to replace the factory Brigestones that I love but are 3x the price. I think Instigator(?) might have some first-hand experience with the Sumi's.
                    $69 for the 245/45/17 size?

I'm glad to see the info on the MX's, I know they had gotten good reviews but I just am not a big fan of the Kumho tires.

Dean, I have that set of 245/40/16 RA1's for the Talon right now, and I still have the set of old Azenis on it, but they are pretty damn worn. I'd like to get a set of street tires on the car so I can drive it around and not worry so much about it. Biggest reason I'm looking to get another set of street tires is because I'm planning to drive the Talon to Colorado and then onto South Dakota here in about a month. I'm heading up to Pikes Peak to watch the Hill Climb, and my friend who's riding with me thinks it'd be more fun to have the Talon instead of the GST up on the mountain. The Talon is actually the more comfortable road trip car too, even though the gas milage is probably not quite as good as the GST should get. But I'll be looking to put about another 2500 miles on the car in that weekend, and althought I should be ok with the street tires on there, I'd rather be sure I'm not going to blow a tire out due to low tread.

I could swap the wheels and tires I have on the GST over to the Talon for the road trip, but honestly those are really crappy tires as well and I need to look for a new set of decent street tires for the GST as well. Heck, I may even look into just a set of the Sumitomo's for the GST if I can get them in the 205/55/16 for way cheap

Comment

Originally posted by amberdawn
                      $69 for the 245/45/17 size?
                      Yup. Click the "Sumitomo's" link. Should go straight to that size.

I've been looking at them in 245/40-17 (stock is 225/45-17) for the STi since I'll likely be needing them in a couple of months.

After seeing what happened to Dean with the Kumhos, I'm not even considering those.
                      Last edited by Oversteer; 05-31-2006, 01:00 PM.
                      '05 STi
                      Obfuscation usually requires a lot more words than if you simply focus on fundamental principles, so I’m not at all surprised by the loquaciousness of liberals.

Comment

Wow thats really wierd, I checked Tirerack yesterday and had it pull all the 245/45/17 size tires, and it didn't pull that one for some reason, cheapest one I saw was the MX listed at $110.00 a piece.

That might be what I go with just to use as a street tire.

Comment

Working...
                        X