Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCCA Solo School/Event#3 May 6th-7th

The Solo School is on Saturday @ Pennington. Here's the info:

This school is geared toward the novice drivers, but experienced drivers can reap benefits as well. There will be a classroom session following the 8:00AM registration This session will cover the basics of performance driving, and explanation of key elements regarding corner entry/exit, correct braking, acceleration, turn in, and turn out techniques to get you through a typical autocross course. There will also be discussion on vehicle dynamics, and car preparation.
    Following the classroom session, there will be a short break to have student vehicles safety checked, and time for a short lunch break. There are several fast food type restaurants near Pennington Field, but students are also welcome to bring their own lunch.
    The driving session of the course will take place on two lots, and we try to divide cars into a couple of categories. Front drive/AWD cars on one course, and rear drive/mod cars on another. The student/instructor ratio is usually 3 to 1. Instructors are experienced autocrossers, and some may be National Champions. All are Nationals caliber drivers.
    Cost:
    $50.00 - includes school and entry into Sunday event
    . You can also purchase SCCA Solo rulebooks for $20 the day of the school.

So $50.00 for the school and the event on Sunday, which is at the TMS bus lot.

I talked with Phil (the school organizer) and he said spots are still available but you need to be paid by tomorrow. Here's the form you need to fill out: http://autocross.com/tr/2006school.htm

Both Paul and I are doing the school and event this weekend. Anyone else?
    McCall

Re: SCCA Solo School/Event#3 May 6th-7th

mmm... jonesing after missing 1 racing event in the past 6 weekends.

I'll be at the SCCA TMS Bus Lot event on Sunday in somehting, most likely the HancheyM3 in STU.

Hoping that the last TMS event was a dumb fluke...
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!

You mean the part where you pumaled all of us mortals?
      '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
      - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!
        mmm... jonesing after missing 1 racing event in the past 6 weekends.

I'll be at the SCCA TMS Bus Lot event on Sunday in somehting, most likely the HancheyM3 in STU.

HancheyM3 in STU.....in TeucciStyleTrim. Watch out rear tires!!
        Brian Hanchey
        AST Suspension - USA

Comment

TMS Bus Lot on Sunday... I challenge Duck and Justin to at least come watch/ride....

do it. do it.

Comment

pictures: http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/gallery/1437773

Top PAX goes to... Mark Berry:

(note: this is the first year for the boost buggies in BSP, so methinks that class' PAX will adjust up significantly after 2006 Nats)

clean!
            Last edited by Fair!; 05-08-2006, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Fair: 1.1g
              McCall: 1.1g
              Brian Hanchey
              AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Duck, that guy in the '04 GTO was there. You should've run! Granted, he's on R-comps...

Yesterday was perfect weather! It never even broke into the 80s and was cloudy most of the day. i still managed to get a slight sunburn on my neck and part of my face despite the sunblock. I guess I should have re-applied in the afternoon.

Anyway, Fair rocked the STU hizzy with a 53.7. McCall got 2nd in the 55s and I think Paul was in 3rd in the 55s (they can tell you the exact times). I managed 2nd of 5 on probably my only clean run of 59.08. I had a 57.5, but apparently I clipped a cone at the end of the slalom, that I definitely didn't need to clip. I wasn't in trouble there. @#%@* I didn't even know I clipped it, so it must have just barely hit. For my 4th run, I dramatically changed my tire pressures and the results were not so good. 59 and 2 cones. Plow buggy and the thing just wouldn't turn. I could probably stand to run the tires lower than they were set initially (and check pressures in between runs...plenty of time at SCCA), but that was too low. Henry Linn(sp) was in 1st in my class. His fastest clean time was 58.0. If I hadn't touched that dang cone, I could have won. I sound like Fair now. Hanchey's dad improved a lot throughout his runs and got a 58.5, I think. Jason's bro-in-law got a 62 in the RX-7. Other than the practice autocross on Saturday, I think that was his first autocross. Every other competitor in my class was driving a Subaru WRX.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun. Ask Fair how he feels about birds after his little nap under the tree.
                -Sean Martin
                2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Well I am pretty sure the Yoks were dead (132 runs, 42 at the Houston Tour) so I ordered another set. Yok Advan Neova 245/40-17 shaved to 5/32. Will be here by Thursday and have them mounted Friday night.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
                  - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
                    Well I am pretty sure the Yoks were dead (132 runs, 42 at the Houston Tour) so I ordered another set. Yok Advan Neova 245/40-17 shaved to 5/32. Will be here by Thursday and have them mounted Friday night.
                    Paul, are you attending the BMWCCA event at Pennington this Saturday?
                    -Sean Martin
                    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Who owns the pimpy tire trailer?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
                        I guess you liked them if you ordered them again. Didn't want to try out the Bridgestone RE-01Rs? Heard anything about those yet? If they're shaved to 5/32, how much tread do they start out with?
                        -Sean Martin
                        2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood
                          Paul, are you attending the BMWCCA event at Pennington this Saturday?
                          I don't know yet. Prolly going to take a weekend off though.

- Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Nick
                            Who owns the pimpy tire trailer?
                            Which one? This one...

Just kidding. You must mean Mark Berry's:

I think he said Kurt Janish built it (Janco Fabrications in Wylie).

Comment

Yesterday was perfect weather! It never even broke into the 80s and was cloudy most of the day.
                              The third run group did get some sunny temps, and I think the added heat on the tarmac helped boost some times in that group. Excuses! Seriously though, I have outrun Jim H on his 710s numerous times of late, even at TMS, but he had 1.8 sec on me with his "sunny runs". Just my thoughts on the variable track temps.

Anyway, Fair rocked the STU hizzy with a 53.7. McCall got 2nd in the 55s and I think Paul was in 3rd in the 55s (they can tell you the exact times).
                              Fair 53.77, McCall 55.1, Paul 56.0? Something like that. Those were the clean runs on the results sheet, at least.

For my 4th run, I dramatically changed my tire pressures and the results were not so good. 59 and 2 cones. Plow buggy and the thing just wouldn't turn. I could probably stand to run the tires lower than they were set initially (and check pressures in between runs...plenty of time at SCCA), but that was too low....
                              That's my bad. You had no roll-over at all at 47 (!?) psi front, so I suggested a radical drop in pressures... but it was apparently too radical for those tires and your spring rate. Split the difference next time and try 40-42 front and 4-5 psi less out back...

Check pressures between every run!

You did look good, and w/o that cone (or the wasted 4th run on my too-low-recommended pressures), you probbaly wouldda won STX easily that day. Already competitive in only 2 events on tires!

Anyway, it was a lot of fun. Ask Fair how he feels about birds after his little nap under the tree.
                              Those pooping birds.

Comment

Working...
                              X