Tranny Mounts and Vibration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny Mounts and Vibration

Installed some UUC tranny bushings yesterday.....

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/TMR/

Vibration has increased quite noticeably. It's not "God-awful", but it's more than I'd anticipated. Now I see the ones I have are the "race" version so more vibration should be expected...and it's not unbearable. I just want to make sure what I'm feeling is normal for this setup.

At idle, things are fine. Blip the throttle and some vibration is noticeable, not just through the shifter, but the whole chassis (makes sense). It's most notiveable when accelerating from a stop and gets better from there. Once moving at a few mph it seems to be gone.

Anyone else running these? Comments?

Tommy
    2001 Jeep Wrangler
    2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
    Front LCA Bushing Swap
    E36 Custom Cat Back
    M3 Limited Slip Diff Repair
    Diff Swap

Re: Tranny Mounts and Vibration

Same thing for me. I have the race ones with enforcers. It's also noticeable in 5th gear at lower speeds (~60mph). Occasionally it is annoying, but most of the time it is okay. It makes me shift into 4th at lower speeds to lessen it.
    -Sean Martin
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

SeanT,

That reminds me... I meant to tell you at the test 'n' tune that I felt your car felt very rough at low rpm, even just free-revving it. Now I realize it wasn't the motor at all. It was the tranny bushings. Interesting. Because now my car feels the same way.

BTW, anyone ever done motor mounts on an E36? How hard is it? Any good alternatives to stock replacements?

Tommy
      2001 Jeep Wrangler
      2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
      Front LCA Bushing Swap
      E36 Custom Cat Back
      Diff Swap

Comment

I have done motor mounts. Its super simple. The 1.9L mounts are the same as your 2.5L.
        http://bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=454895
        99 AW M3

Comment

Oh yeah, forgot you had that issue already. Cool. Looks like a simple job.

Tommy
          2001 Jeep Wrangler
          2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
          Front LCA Bushing Swap
          E36 Custom Cat Back
          Diff Swap

Comment

I have those mounts too. Make sure when you put them on that they aren't preloaded. Torque the cross member with the nuts loose on the tranny mounts, transmission is now sitting on the mounts. Then torque the mounts to the tranny. If you torque the mounts to the tranny THEN the cross member to the body you'll get more vibration. I still have some, but I don't even notice now.

Engine mounts:
            Ireland Engineering has some that are in the $100 range. Google "ireland engineering". They look a little gimpy. UUC has some, but not on their website officially. Go to their search window and type "motor mount". You'll see some very pimpy $200 ones. These are what I'll eventually buy, but not while I'm driving it daily. Even as smooth as the straight six is, I don't want to chance the additional vibration, you first!
            Last edited by hancheyb; 02-06-2006, 10:45 AM.
            Brian Hanchey
            AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
              I have those mounts too. Make sure when you put them on that they aren't preloaded. Torque the cross member with the nuts loose on the tranny mounts, transmission is now sitting on the mounts. Then torque the mounts to the tranny. If you torque the mounts to the tranny THEN the cross member to the body you'll get more vibration. I still have some, but I don't even notice now.

Engine mounts:
              Ireland Engineering has some that are in the $100 range. Google "ireland engineering". They look a little gimpy. UUC has some, but not on their website officially. Go to their search window and type "motor mount". You'll see some very pimpy $200 ones. These are what I'll eventually buy, but not while I'm driving it daily. Even as smooth as the straight six is, I don't want to chance the additional vibration, you first!
              I should have you drive my car and see how the vibration compares to yours. We didn't use that method when putting the cross member on.
              -Sean Martin
              2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy R
                Oh yeah, forgot you had that issue already. Cool. Looks like a simple job.

Tommy

Yep, 2 bolts on each side, jack up engine, pull and replace!

Took 30 minutes by myself
                99 AW M3

Comment

Good point. I didn't do it that way. I'll try it soon...

T
                  2001 Jeep Wrangler
                  2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
                  Front LCA Bushing Swap
                  E36 Custom Cat Back
                  Diff Swap

Comment

Ditto, ditto, ditto.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood
                      I should have you drive my car and see how the vibration compares to yours. We didn't use that method when putting the cross member on.
                      Yes it is. You put the bushings on the crossmember but I tightened the tranny-to-bushing nuts after I torqued down the cross member-to-body nuts.

So the cars have some vibration. It's your street car that you are racing. There's always some sacrifce to driveablitiy when you add speed parts boys. If you don't want that, keep it stock or buy another daily driver.
                      McCall

Comment

Originally posted by McCall
                        Yes it is. You put the bushings on the crossmember but I tightened the tranny-to-bushing nuts after I torqued down the cross member-to-body nuts.

So the cars have some vibration. It's your street car that you are racing. There's always some sacrifce to driveablitiy when you add speed parts boys. If you don't want that, keep it stock or buy another daily driver.
                        Looking at it again, I still don't think that's how it was done, but maybe I'm picturing different nuts than what Hanchey is talking about. Sorry.
                        -Sean Martin
                        2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood
                          Looking at it again, I still don't think that's how it was done, but maybe I'm picturing different nuts than what Hanchey is talking about. Sorry.
                          And now I can update my signature for this month....
                          Toth: "I would sue Duck, but I don't know what I would do with 3 pennies and a hoopty GTO."
                          Me: "I never finish anyth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Dean!
                            And now I can update my signature for this month....
                            I didn't do anything wrong this time either!
                            Brian Hanchey
                            AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Working...
                            X