Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever hear of the Goodyear GSCS r-compounds?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever hear of the Goodyear GSCS r-compounds?

I have the chance to buy four, 315/35/17 GSCS for $60 a tire.

They have 3 heat cycles and he says they get 12 heat cycles out of them. More than 50% tread life left...

Sound like a good deal ?

Shipping is a little on the high side from my past experience, so $80 total....

I hear they wear really well, similar to a Victoracer...

$320 for four 315/35/17 r-compounds shipped...

Opinions ?
    Toth: "I would sue Duck, but I don't know what I would do with 3 pennies and a hoopty GTO."
    Me: "I never finish anyth..."

Re: Ever hear of the Goodyear GSCS r-compounds?

We used to run on these, ages ago. Cast off road race tires.

I would guess 3-5+ years old. Ask for the DOT datecode on the sidewall.

XXXMMYY - Month and Year is what you want to see.

At best they'd be slow R compounds. Think old Toyos.
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Err...no.

The GSCS is still a currently produced tire and one of the fastest road racing tires around. I belive they won ASedan this year. If they are available in your size and price range (they are expensive when new) they are extremely quick. I run them for instructing/open lapping and back 2 back with a 710 it is extremely close. The GSCS' are lighter, but the 710 has a stiffer sidewall. They would both need to have the chassis optimized to each specific tire to get maximum performance and I've never done that (not against the 710 anyway)

No, it is not an autocross tire unless you get to hot-lap them. If you can get them hot, they are very fast.

Costas

Comment

Sorry Dean!...

To answer your question, you would probably be better off for autocrossing with victos or 710s...the gscs' just don't heat up fast enough for autocrossing. I've tried it tons of times...

Now...if this is for track days, then I say go for it.

Costas

Comment

Wow... I thought they went out of production with the Goodyear GS-C street tire they were based on... haven't seen them used in years, but I haven't been to a lapping session or road race in that long or more.

Learn something new every day. Thanks Paul.

EDIT: since this is such a "legacy" tire model I'd still check the DOT build date on the sidewall to make sure you're not buying antique tires.
          Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
          2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
          EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Working...
          X