Thoughts on Tire Pressure Bleeders ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Tire Pressure Bleeders ?

This is mainly targetted for MW type "marquee" events - you know the drill, you make a couple of runs on a 1.5 mile long autocross, and your Azenis or Toyo pressures are jacked up. You run around your car frantically bleeding air and take another run, and everything is great, tires aren't greasy, etc.

So.. what about just using tire pressure bleeders ? I've seen them in various quantities from 30-44psi bleeders, plus there are gauges to check the "breakaway" pressure. These are the valve stem type bleeders.

What disadvantages would they have?

For example, on Toyos, if we typically ran 34psi hot, you could set the bleeder to 38psi so at least you don't get some crazy pressures and get greasy....

Circle track people use 'em all the time supposedly...TODD??
    Toth: "I would sue Duck, but I don't know what I would do with 3 pennies and a hoopty GTO."
    Me: "I never finish anyth..."

Re: Thoughts on Tire Pressure Bleeders ?

Gosh, no responses? No feedback/opinions/thoughts... at this point I'll even open this up to rumours....
    Toth: "I would sue Duck, but I don't know what I would do with 3 pennies and a hoopty GTO."

Comment

Since you're open to rumours now I've heard these are bad for anything but circle track. Why I have no clue.
      Teucci has a good point about trannies - Tommy

Comment

Carroll Smith's thoughts on Tire Bleeders

From page 2-11 of Carroll Smith's Book "Drive to Win"
        Start Quote:
        Along these lines, exactly why we super-sophisticated road racers don't use pre-set blow off valves is beyond me.
        It seems a simple solution to a vexing problem.
        God knows that if the valves can reliably survive the World of Outlaws treatment, we can't hurt them.
        Make sure however, that the brand you select will withstand the centrifugal force at your wheel rpm.

...goes on to say, mount them AXIALLY, not radially.. [If you mount it radially, the centrifugal force of the wheel could bleed air out, so axially is best]
        End Quote

Comment

Okay, please explain to this business major what Axially and radially mounting is...
          -Sean Martin
          2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood
            Okay, please explain to this business major what Axially and radially mounting is...
            Axially is like a lugnut, facing the axle as much as possible.

Radially is like a nail in your tire, it's perpendicular to the turning axle.

They say to mount it axially and not radially, because the centrifugal force could in theory push the valve in from centrifical motion and bleed out air erroneously....

Comment

Interesting. Hanchey has all my Smith literature, but it looks like I need to re-read.
              Teucci has a good point about trannies - Tommy

Comment

I think this is worth a try...

To make the valve insert axially oriented you could have a valve stem with a 90 degree adapter?

Let me get my circle track supplier catalogs out and see what they cost...
                Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
                2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
                EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

I've run them in the ITA car with the old wheels and in circle track. They are awesome. I just drilled new holes in one of the wheel sets and left the old air stem in the radial hole. Put in bleeders in the axial hole. Done.

Wendy runs them on her ASedan with good results also.

Costas

Comment

Originally posted by Shortcutsleeping
                    I've run them in the ITA car with the old wheels and in circle track. They are awesome. I just drilled new holes in one of the wheel sets and left the old air stem in the radial hole. Put in bleeders in the axial hole. Done.

Wendy runs them on her ASedan with good results also.

Costas
                    Which brand and where do you buy yours from ? Basically, if at all possible, I want to just use the existing valve stem hole and not drill any extra holes at all.

Here's some additional info I found, seems to indicate that instead of a regular valve stem, you just put the quick change adapter in there instead:
                    Tireliefs–Tire Pressure Relief Valves
                    Relieves heat-caused tire pressure buildup as you race, automatically. Tireliefs help keep critical tire pressure and stagger more constant. This helps prevent changes in weight distribution from uneven tire pressure increases. Accurate electronic wheel scales show that a 4 psi change in one tire's pressure can shift 10-15 lbs. of weight.

Easy to install, Tireliefs come with an O-ring seal and a retaining nut for inside the wheel. You can drill a hole in the rim, put the Tirelief thru the hole and tighten the retaining nut from the inside. No threading required. The O ring will seal the installation. Or you can drill and tap the hole to install from the outside. For extra precaution, you may also install the nut on the inside.

Tireliefs are easy to adjust. Set the valve by hand using the large diameter knurled adjustment lock nut and cap. Adjustment is from 3 to 38 psi.

Tireliefs have a 100-mesh inlet filter to keep dirt inside the tire from plugging the valve. Made from light weight aluminum, 9 grams will not affect wheel balance. The totally enclosed poppet is protected from outside dirt. The valve can be locked without changing setting for stretching tires for stagger.

A Setting Tool is handy to set your Tireliefs before you install them on the rims. This uses compressed air.

A Quick Change Adaptor makes very quick work of changing or resetting Tireliefs. It lets you unscrew and remove the Tirelief valve from the rim by hand without losing air pressure. Aircraft alloy aluminum, low profile, installs in the original or new 5/8" hole.

An Inflation Adaptor allows you to air up your tires when a Quick Change Adaptor is installed in the original valve stem hole. This saves drilling a hole in the rim.

An Installation Kit is available to make installation a snap. Includes a drill of the correct size and a 1/8" NPT tap with a driver socket.

Protective Covers keep the dirt out of your Tireliefs when washing off your car's wheels. Soft vinyl seals completely and removes easily.

L5000 Set of 4 Tireliefs
                    L5029 Tirelief Setting Tool, 0-60 psi
                    L5022 Inflation Adaptor
                    L5019 Installation Kit, Drill, Tap, Socket
                    L5024 Quick Change Adaptor, Set of 4
                    L5017 Protective Covers, Set of 4
                    L5010 Pro-Team Kit, Includes 12 Quick Change Adaptors, 6 Tirelief valves and covers, 1 Setting Tool, 1 Inflation Adaptor, 1 Carrying Case

Comment

Found this complete kit for $139 which I think is a misprint, but it shipped today.

I haven't been able to find a price lower than $229 and all of a sudden I find this one place for $139. I was going to go with a cheaper non-brand bleeder, since Longacre tends to be pricey period, but this kit was so cheap (and the Longacre brand) that I decided to get it.

http://www.piedmontkart.com/product_...8ba11e42c07651

Since I took one for the Dallas team, y'all can save a lot and just get the Tirelief valves($39) and use my bleeder tool to set yours...

Kit includes:

6 TIRELIEF™ valves
                      12 wheel adapters
                      1 setting tool
                      1 inflation adapter
                      Carrying case

P.S. I MAKE NO DISCLAIMER as to the legality in ANY SCCA CLASS...I'm the special olympics marquee boy, remember?? I like to have fun with 8 runs on a 1.5 mile long autocross (or Porsche time trial) course with back to back runs for $25......

Comment

http://www.longacreracing.com/catalo...t.asp?catid=20

only goes to 38psi.
                        Brian Hanchey
                        AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Right, they have springs/shims to change that... I spoke with one of the racers from Coleman Racing on the phone when I was doing some research....

for me personally, whether it be Toyos or V710s on 315/35/17, 38psi is more than adequate....

Comment

Originally posted by Dean!
                            Right, they have springs/shims to change that... I spoke with one of the racers from Coleman Racing on the phone when I was doing some research....

for me personally, whether it be Toyos or V710s on 315/35/17, 38psi is more than adequate....
                            Geez, I keep forgetting you're actually driving YOUR OWN CAR this year. I read that 315s? Evos don't have 315s?!?!
                            Brian Hanchey
                            AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
                              Geez, I keep forgetting you're actually driving YOUR OWN CAR this year. I read that 315s? Evos don't have 315s?!?!
                              They can have 305s.

It's going to be interesting to see how well these work.

Comment

Working...
                              X